Sponsored by:

Need advice on shipping a titanium exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Need advice on shipping a titanium exhaust

I sold my Z06 Titanium Exhaust which is still intact and not cut. Can anyone who has shipped one of these systems provide some input as to how they shipped them? I'm trying to get the best price for the buyer and using a large box via UPS is about $200 which is absurd. I know Greyhound is cheap but I'm not near a terminal. Has anyone shipped these just using bubble wrap covered with shrink wrap? I think shipping them seperately will be cheaper so I'm toying with making custom boxes with some of the over axel pipe protruding and wrapped in bubble wrap etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have sold a few exhaust systems and all I can say is you need to wrap the tips very well to protect them and make sure any open pipes are covered so they don't poke through the box. Shipping is $$$$ its a fact and many people don't take the time to figure the appropriate cost up front and end up getting burned after they sell something. I have lost a few dollars myself...live and learn. Fact is being a cheap *** and not packing it right will bite you in the *** more if it arrives damaged you will end up refunding the buyer and have an item you can't resell.
Lately what I have been doing is selling the stuff that is $$$$ to ship on Ebay, they offer a huge discount using FEDEX through them...almost 50% over my usual FEDEX acct.
I post the item up with a crazy price, provide buyer the link to buy it "best offer" at our agreed price with "free shipping" and then use the shipping tool and FEDEX discount to ship.

Good luck
Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Just wrap it in bubble wrap then shrink wrap over it. No need for a box, it'll be fine. I've sent and received a number of exhausts this way.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:38 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

pad the tips, the guy I bought my Borlas from thought bubble wrap was good enough, wrong.

Triple pad the tips
Old 12-15-2017, 04:49 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by pjdbm
pad the tips, the guy I bought my Borlas from thought bubble wrap was good enough, wrong.

Triple pad the tips

yep....I plan on them doing everything they can to fk up whatever it is I am shipping....almost all of my reviews on Ebay note the great packing.
I want you to get what you paid for, I don't want it back damaged. I don't want to discuss refunds for broke crap.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

This was my Borla Atak system, mint before shipping with FedEx, he had them in a nice big box with bubble wrap, not enough for the knuckleheads at FedEx

Old 12-16-2017, 12:49 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^^^^ I believe it.....that's why you can never pack well enough
Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by pewter99
I have sold a few exhaust systems and all I can say is you need to wrap the tips very well to protect them and make sure any open pipes are covered so they don't poke through the box. Shipping is $$$$ its a fact and many people don't take the time to figure the appropriate cost up front and end up getting burned after they sell something. I have lost a few dollars myself...live and learn. Fact is being a cheap *** and not packing it right will bite you in the *** more if it arrives damaged you will end up refunding the buyer and have an item you can't resell.
Lately what I have been doing is selling the stuff that is $$$$ to ship on Ebay, they offer a huge discount using FEDEX through them...almost 50% over my usual FEDEX acct.
I post the item up with a crazy price, provide buyer the link to buy it "best offer" at our agreed price with "free shipping" and then use the shipping tool and FEDEX discount to ship.

Good luck
Thanks for the input. Another Forum member suggesting using Fastenal which is a fastener supplies to a chain of stores throughout the US. The offer 3rd party shipping utilizing empty space they have on their trucks at very affordable prices. You request a quote, they send you a price, you drop off the box/item at a store near you and they ship it to the store closest to the buyer. Downside, takes longer than standard carriers and you need to be near a store on both ends. Similar to Greyhound but somewhat safer. Waiting to hear back with a price. Stay tuned for an update. Thanks Again
Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Default shipping

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Just wrap it in bubble wrap then shrink wrap over it. No need for a box, it'll be fine. I've sent and received a number of exhausts this way.
I thought of this as well and depending on what happens with Fastenal, may be my alternative solution. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Default shipping

Triple pad the tips
I was actually thinking of zip tying it to a piece of plywood ala pallet and then bubble wrapping the **** out of it and then shrink wrapping. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Default shipping

This was my Borla Atak system, mint before shipping with FedEx, he had them in a nice big box with bubble wrap, not enough for the knuckleheads at FedEx

This is exactly what I want to avoid but at the same time keep costs down for the buyer. Thanks and sorry to see what happened to your Borlas!
The following users liked this post:
pjdbm (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

If you go into Paypal you can ship via "multi-order shipping" and get the dsicounted rates, no matter how you sold the item (eg. not sold on ebay).
Old 12-16-2017, 03:33 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by CG77VETTE
I was actually thinking of zip tying it to a piece of plywood ala pallet and then bubble wrapping the **** out of it and then shrink wrapping. Thanks
yeah...I bubble wrapped and then wrapped cardboard around them...I also add a few pieces of cardboard along the edge of the inside of the box..
Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I bought a system years ago (2004?) from a Forum member in Boston and I believe it was about $30 shipped to eastern NC. It was wrapped pretty well and placed in a box. It may actually have been in 2 boxes. The good news is they are so lite, the packaged box weighs very little.

No damage, but then I may just have been lucky.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-16-2017, 05:25 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Have you heard of Fastenal?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by CG77VETTE
I sold my Z06 Titanium Exhaust which is still intact and not cut. Can anyone who has shipped one of these systems provide some input as to how they shipped them? I'm trying to get the best price for the buyer and using a large box via UPS is about $200 which is absurd. I know Greyhound is cheap but I'm not near a terminal. Has anyone shipped these just using bubble wrap covered with shrink wrap? I think shipping them seperately will be cheaper so I'm toying with making custom boxes with some of the over axel pipe protruding and wrapped in bubble wrap etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I just bought a TI exhaust on ebay and the guy was incredible with the shipping. He literally built a box around it and had plastic straps holding it to the sides. He even screwed on handles made of plastic straps. I paid 100$ freight. The pieces were laid in together tight like a puzzle but not hitting. He also had some padding around the tips. I've also seen people use REAL bubble wrap - not wally world crappy stuff) and wrap them well. BUT with all the package shipping rush at the moment for the holidays, I would make extra certain it's wrapped well due to all the stuff getting tossed into the trucks.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 12-16-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:29 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I shipped a Titanium exhaust to a gentleman in NC, and after it was all said and done, the sale was not worth it. $$$$
I should have stuck with a local sale. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I shipped a Titanium exhaust to a gentleman in NC, and after it was all said and done, the sale was not worth it. $$$$
I should have stuck with a local sale. Just my 2 cents.

I’m an occasional ebayer, and shipping bulky items seems to always be tough. For exhausts, I’ll add about $125 to the price. All of the ones I’ve sold were local.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on shipping a titanium exhaust

Quick Reply: Need advice on shipping a titanium exhaust