C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto leaking ATF, being rebuilt at AMCO 3400.00

Old 12-22-2017, 06:07 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Auto leaking ATF, being rebuilt at AMCO 3400.00

Yelp, 3400.00! It was leaking at the front of the tranny on the torque tube end. Lived with it for a long while, but has gotten really bad. 160K every day city miles. AMCO is going through the tranny, because of the milage, and replacing any thing that is worn, installing ZIP performance parts and rebuilding the torque converter. Last year I spent 2K on rear axle shaft seals, tranny pan reseal, engine oil pan seal and oil sending unit seal. I call this girl the EXXON Valdez.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:27 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

I hope you got kissed.just kidding,seems kind of high.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:22 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Sounded cheap compared to Eagle transmission, they wanted 33k-43K, and we all know it will be the higher number.

AMCO quoted 28k - 33k and I went for the Zip kit so added 2-3 hundred to that quote.

I see you can get rebuilt trannies for 23-28, but they need to be shipped, core returned and you have to put it in your self, something I'm not willing to do.

I know it is outrageous and I'm not defending my decision, but the leaking on the garage floor is major depression to me.

One day the engine will die and I'll have to deal with that too.

Now if I could get in some kind of accident, that did not hurt me of course, shell out extra for getting the lower half painted. 160K miles is a lot of wear and tear. Top half is still really good.

Last edited by jammerjamesharmon; 12-22-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:30 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Amco may not even be able to find the tranny on a C5. Yours is probably the first one they have ever attempted. Be sure to let us know how this turns out.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigGun
Amco may not even be able to find the tranny on a C5. Yours is probably the first one they have ever attempted. Be sure to let us know how this turns out.
They did start at the front, but eventually got back there where they need to be, I'll give them that.

Last edited by jammerjamesharmon; 12-22-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:54 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Absolute last and second last places that I would EVER let touch the transmission on my car are:

Stealership

Amco

For $3400 I hope they supplied the KY jelly!!!! JMHO
If I had your car, I wouldn't let any one touch it unless it was Lingenfelter, or have they already been there?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by old stingray
I hope you got kissed.just kidding,seems kind of high.
Took it straight up, no kissing, not really my type anyway.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:30 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I could be WAY off, but in my humble opinion, AAMCO is to transmissions, sort of like MAACO is to paint jobs. They're locally owned, independent franchise holders, that employ local people of various levels of skills.

For instance, I knew an ex-drag racer, who worked for an AAMCO shop during the day, and did tranny rebuilding nights/weekends, out of his garage at home. He didn't do any R&R work at home, just the rebuild work on the transmission. He had quite a shop, set up in his garage.

He did a couple of trannys for me, over the years, and did a really good job on them. FWIW, a rebuild from him, including a rebuilt torque converter, and "shift kit", was $800 (the last one was about 10 years ago). So, figuring the amount of labor involved in doing a C-5 R&R, 3K might not be all that steep.......
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a 4L60E, same transmission that was shoved into practically every car GM produced from the 90s-00s. I'm sure AAMCO will be fine lol.

Now that price does sound expensive though.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

You could have gotten a built up trans from RPM that can handle anything you can throw at it, installed in TX, for that price.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Too bad they dont have a FACE PALM smiley

If AMCO had a hard time finding the trans. ,,,, I SURE HOPE that they used the SPECIAL "UNIQUE" C5/C6 trans fluid filling procedure that MUST be done to make sure the new expexsive trans doesnt burn up!!

I would directly ASK the Tech who filled it, what procedure that he used to insure it was properly FILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other wise, this will be a repeat expenditure and you KNOW AMMCO will blame YOU! There KNOWN for that!!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-25-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Too bad they dont have a FACE PALM smiley

If AMCO had a hard time finding the trans. ,,,, I SURE HOPE that they used the SPECIAL "UNIQUE" C5/C6 trans fluid filling procedure that MUST be done to make sure the new expexsive trans doesnt burn up!!

I would directly ASK the Tech who filled it, what procedure that he used to insure it was properly FILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other wise, this will be a repeat expenditure and you KNOW AMMCO will blame YOU! There KNOWN for that!!

Bill
Thanks Bill for that input and I'll research the way it should be filled, I imagine that you yourself has a thread of this very subject. Thanks for this advice and all the other ones that came from you. Saved me lots of money and got an education to boot. They're rebuilding mine with the ZIP kit.

Last edited by jammerjamesharmon; 12-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:15 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob 02
You could have gotten a built up trans from RPM that can handle anything you can throw at it, installed in TX, for that price.
I saw an RPM that was sold on this board for 23 not counting shipping, the guy said it cost him, I believe 32 something. I know there is different levels, all the way to 5K+, the one you can throw anything at. So lets say I bought one of those for 3K, ship it and have it installed, return shipping for the core, it would be WAY over 4k and I would not have an 18 month warranty with the installer, like if the transmission went bad, I would have to pay 1K again for tear out and replace.

I put this tread up for a roasting, so this is good. What I think is really great is folks like Bill Curlee with his great advise, along with a roast, wow, don't get better than that.

Last edited by jammerjamesharmon; 12-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:17 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
It's a 4L60E, same transmission that was shoved into practically every car GM produced from the 90s-00s. I'm sure AAMCO will be fine lol.

Now that price does sound expensive though.
It's a lot for sure, but not near as much as the other transmission shop I got a quote from, 43K
Old 12-25-2017, 11:24 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I could be WAY off, but in my humble opinion, AAMCO is to transmissions, sort of like MAACO is to paint jobs. They're locally owned, independent franchise holders, that employ local people of various levels of skills.

For instance, I knew an ex-drag racer, who worked for an AAMCO shop during the day, and did tranny rebuilding nights/weekends, out of his garage at home. He didn't do any R&R work at home, just the rebuild work on the transmission. He had quite a shop, set up in his garage.

He did a couple of trannys for me, over the years, and did a really good job on them. FWIW, a rebuild from him, including a rebuilt torque converter, and "shift kit", was $800 (the last one was about 10 years ago). So, figuring the amount of labor involved in doing a C-5 R&R, 3K might not be all that steep.......
The guy that actually does the transmission, I spoke to him personally when he asked about my Jeep drove in to get the quote on my car that was already there. He said he had been rebuilding transmissions for 25+ years. I think if it is a bad rebuild, it will show up in the first few months, being a daily driver. This will have an 18 month warranty.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:47 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

So far all I've been able to find on the fill procedure is add to the converter during rebuild or if dry, add 4qt, start for 3 sec, kill, add another four, start and top off. I would love to know the real right way. Anyone, please chime in. Thanks
Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The Corvette C5/C6 Trans does NOT have a dip stick. To properly fill the pan,

1. You need to remove the fill plug.

2.Add fluid untill it runs out of the fill port.

3. START the engine and then add additional fluid until it again runs out of the fill port.

4. Install the fill port plug and run the trans until it is up to full operating temp. Run the transmission through fwd and reverse.

5. Remove the fill plug and top off untill fluid runs out of the fill port.

6. Install the fill port plug.

NOTE,, This is a off the top of my head summary of the procedure but its correct to fill the trans.

NOTE/CAUTION!

Once the transmission is properly filled (as per the procedure),,, IF you remove the fill port plug WITHOUT the engine running, approx 1 1/2 -2 qts of fluid will GUSH OUT of the fill port!!!!

No one is bashing you. We just feel bad that you are spending a boat load of cash and the place doing the work are NOT C5/C6 knowledgable...

I just hope that everything turns out well and you are happy.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Auto leaking ATF, being rebuilt at AMCO 3400.00

Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uid-level.html

The porcedure for fill and chack level is the same for C5 & C6. The fill port is just different:

Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
How about a DOUBLE Face Palm! For use when a single Face Palm just won't do!!

Was just looking for that....double face palm!
Old 12-26-2017, 01:30 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Thanks Bill for clearing that up. I'll make sure that is done properly.

I knew I was asking for a flaming, AMCO and corvette in the same sentence, on this board, that's signing up. Actually been unexpectedly easy on me for some reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto leaking ATF, being rebuilt at AMCO 3400.00