C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS V Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Aaron Drake Steadman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CTS V Brake Conversion

Ive seen a few threads on here before but they were outdated with not many people who said they had done it on a c5. Im thinking of trying it out. Ive heard of it done on fbody camaros/ta’s i dont see why it wouldnt be possible. Anyone done this?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Only question I have is why specifically CTS V brake hardware? C6 Z06 hardware, which I'm sure utilizes exactly the same brake caliper from Brembo, can be had much easier as more C6 Z06s were produced. I also believe that a few years back the Brembo hardware is now offered through re-manned services which has DRAMATICALLY dropped the price of calipers.

It would ultimately have little variance in C6 Z06 hardware, but again I don't see the point of using CTS V hardware when the same material can be had much cheaper.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Only question I have is why specifically CTS V brake hardware? C6 Z06 hardware, which I'm sure utilizes exactly the same brake caliper from Brembo, can be had much easier as more C6 Z06s were produced. I also believe that a few years back the Brembo hardware is now offered through re-manned services which has DRAMATICALLY dropped the price of calipers.

It would ultimately have little variance in C6 Z06 hardware, but again I don't see the point of using CTS V hardware when the same material can be had much cheaper.
C6 Z06 calipers are made by PBR not Brembo
Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Aaron Drake Steadman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette

Cts-v used a 4 piston brembo that is cheaper than buying the c6z calipers. A set for the front would be about $300. Im on a budget and try to save money where ever i can. More money for the motor 😎 lol
Old 01-04-2018, 01:38 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

F-body guys do the V swap as they only have to drill out the existing holes and adapter brackets are not needed.

A Corvette would require adapter brackets to be made.

I would look for C6Z/GS brakes used or another Big Brake Kit. Especially if you go aftermarket do your research on the price of consumables.

The biggest obstacle in C6Z Brakes are the lines:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Aaron Drake Steadman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 93Polo
F-body guys do the V swap as they only have to drill out the existing holes and adapter brackets are not needed.

A Corvette would require adapter brackets to be made.

I would look for C6Z/GS brakes used or another Big Brake Kit. Especially if you go aftermarket do your research on the price of consumables.

The biggest obstacle in C6Z Brakes are the lines:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Ahh okay. That makes sense. Thanks for the help. Ill look into that and see what i can find. The c6z brakes really arent too bad price wise but i thought i was going to get lucky with the dirt cheap cts v calipers lol guess not
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...0Caliper%20Kit

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...ment%20Caliper
The following users liked this post:
slow_pokeC5 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Aaron Drake Steadman
Advanced

Not bad. Might go with these.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:50 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Drake Steadman
Not bad. Might go with these.
Much better than oem, these have 4 stainless pistons, more robust construction and your choice of red or black powdercoat.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:27 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Those CTSV rotors and calipers (Brembo 6 pot) were used by track guys in the gen 5 Camaro, They were a direct bolt on, no shims, drilling etc.. They now come as part of the GEN 6 1LE package of the 2016 1LE V8 models. hey also used they same stuff on the two year run of the Z28, Pads are easier to find, still expensive
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

If you are on a budget, what is wrong with the OEM calipers? If they are Fugly, they can be removed and powder coated almost any color you want. Be sure to either put a bolt/nut and O rings at each banjo fitting to avoid draining the ABS system of brake fluid. alternate is a BQ 164 http://brakequip.com/products/hardware/fitting-caps/ to block off at the rigid line where the hose connects at each location.

Pads are cheap for the C5 and there is enough stopping power with the right selection of pad material.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

paging @work_truck

Last edited by nsogiba; 01-05-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

If you can bolt C5 calipers onto an F body,

And you can bolt V2 calipers onto an F body,

Why can't you put V2 calipers on a C5?

The calipers I ordered are still on backorder, so I'll have to wait until Amazon drops the price again and just order some new OEM
Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

The SLC56 caliper kits will fit the stock C5 front 12.8" and 12.0" rear rotors as a direct replacement for those who are looking for an affordable upgrade to their stock system. They come with the popular 7416 pad which is available in a variety of compounds from many suppliers. *While race pads are an option...the caliper kit should not be confused with larger and more robust Wilwood Big Brake Kits; they are not designed as a competition kit.

They will bolt directly to your C5 and C6 front and rear spindles in a matter of minutes and are sold with SS flex hose kits to complete the build. Common colors are BLACK and RED but alternate custom colors can be had for a fee.

As a four pot, fixed mount design they will provide a more firm and linear feel under your foot. No more floating and wasted energy calipers. Hard anodized bodies, powder coat finish and ss pistons will last for thousands of miles while maintaining their sexy appearance.

Complete four corner packages can be had from under $1150 all inclusive. SLC56 CALIPER KITS

Any questions just ask.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:55 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
If you can bolt C5 calipers onto an F body,

And you can bolt V2 calipers onto an F body,

Why can't you put V2 calipers on a C5?

The calipers I ordered are still on backorder, so I'll have to wait until Amazon drops the price again and just order some new OEM

It’s because of how the calipers mount

C5 calipers mount on long spindle ears that are far away from the wheel center

V2 calipers mount on short spindle ears that are closer to the wheel center.

Then v2 calipers have long ears on them and c5 calipers do not. Thus giving f body guys space to make adapter brackets to fit c5 calipers
Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
It’s because of how the calipers mount

C5 calipers mount on long spindle ears that are far away from the wheel center

V2 calipers mount on short spindle ears that are closer to the wheel center.

Then v2 calipers have long ears on them and c5 calipers do not. Thus giving f body guys space to make adapter brackets to fit c5 calipers
For some reason this whole time I was thinking that you could bolt C5 calipers on to an F body, but it looks like a bracket is required.

That sort of ruins my day.

Luckily!

There are fBody CAD files for C5 calipers on a F body.

So I think a workaround is still very feasible, if you're as determined as I am to put these on a Corvette.

Last edited by work_truck; 01-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

So how about this logic:

Reminder its still early here and I'm not very smart.

A bracket is required to mount the C5 brakes on an F body, So theoretically, the bracket could be "reversed" to put the mounting points on the C5 into the F body location.

Maybe...

Here are some CAD files:

http://lukeskaff.com/projects/car/th...racket-design/

I just moved to a new job (from mechanical engineering) and now I no longer have access to CAD software here at work. So I may try doing some markups in one of the free programs you can get these days.

In this picture, it appears that to match the LS1 mounting location, you would want to move IN on the C5.

Looking at this available CAD model of the C5 spindle, it looks like there is room to do that, if you were to offset the mounting holes to lower the caliper.

Last edited by work_truck; 01-08-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CTS V Brake Conversion

Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Question: How do any of these calipers (C5/C6Z06/CTS-V/Wilwood) compare to the Brembo produced radial mount 4 piston calipers which come on the Porsche 911/996. Yes, they will require a custom bracket but their performance is amazing (never heard of any Porsche guys complaining about their brakes).

Last edited by ChrisLSx; 01-08-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Originally Posted by work_truck
So how about this logic:

Reminder its still early here and I'm not very smart.

A bracket is required to mount the C5 brakes on an F body, So theoretically, the bracket could be "reversed" to put the mounting points on the C5 into the F body location.

Maybe...

Here are some CAD files:

http://lukeskaff.com/projects/car/th...racket-design/

I just moved to a new job (from mechanical engineering) and now I no longer have access to CAD software here at work. So I may try doing some markups in one of the free programs you can get these days.

In this picture, it appears that to match the LS1 mounting location, you would want to move IN on the C5.

Looking at this available CAD model of the C5 spindle, it looks like there is room to do that, if you were to offset the mounting holes to lower the caliper.

You may be able to drill new holes in the spindle closer to the center to mount the v calipers, but the mount gets thinner closer to the center so there won’t be a surface to mount to.

Where did you get that model? I was trying to find one because I was tossing around the idea of making myself custom spindles to mount v calipers to.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

There’s next to no room to work with, I was gonna Dick with it but got lazy and said my car stops good enough as is lol

Quick Reply: CTS V Brake Conversion