Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time to NCM Bash. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 AM
TonyBro1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 1st time to NCM Bash. Any advice?

My wife and I have decided to go to the NCM Bash this year for the first time. I thought maybe I could get some advice. I looked at the schedule and it looks like lots of things listed. It should be a lot of fun. I'm familiar with hotels and restaurants there but not the actual event other than what's listed. If I could only be there for two days, should I go Thursday and Friday or Friday and Saturday? Which activity or seminar or event is a "must attend"? I'm assuming I should be signing up now for some of these. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sounds like you have done some homework; you have seen what is available during the Bash, now just pick out the one(s) that most interest you and go for it. This will be my 3rd consecutive year to attend; I spend two days across the HWY at the track teaching other Vette owners how to drive on track while my wife volunteers her time at the museum.

Signup early for lectures, they will fill fast. Get involved to get the best bang for your buck and have fun.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The forum dinner at Montana grill organized by OVERRULED, there is a recent thread. And a seminar by Paul Koerner.
The following users liked this post:
OVERULD (01-11-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:46 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Usually touring laps are held on Wednesday. i think they charge $90 or so and it is all the laps you have time for. 5 cars go out following a lead car around the track and back in then get back in line for another run of 4 laps. We get you up to touring speed for sure. If you ask you can usually ride with one of the lead car drivers. I usually drive a lead car and would be happy to take you and show the line around the track.

I haven't looked, but I heard they are offering Driving experience Thursday or Friday. That would be in one of the MSP Corvettes.

You can also join us for a couple days of HPDE Monday and Tuesday. This may be my first or second HPDE in my new C7, after running a C5 for several years.

Some of the offerings fill up fast so register early. Some of the Hotels will be full. Our club always stays at the Hilton Garden Inn, and we always congregate in the lobby and harass the patrons checking in, especially if we know them.

Montana Grill is one of our usual stops, so is Rafferty's just down the street. Then there is Chuy's behind the Drury's at the Scottsville Road exit (exit 23?). That exit begins Hotel/Motel road with lots of offerings, restaurants and filling stations.

If you like Ice Cream, Chaney's is a good stop, just a few miles down the road.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM
TonyBro1
Instructor

That's all very good advice. Thanks! That's very helpful. Ice Cream sounds good. Any opinion on what two days would be best to attend? My interest are not as much into the racing but more into what's coming up in the Corvette world and checking out all the cool cars. I've never tracked my car but I went to Spring Mountain this year which was a blast. Getting my car on the track sounds fun.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:10 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

If this is your first BASH, then it might be a good idea to plan Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Then you can pick through the various seminars. I haven't been to a Paul Koerner seminar since they began charging for them. They are OK, but if you are in to maintenance or have a burning question, you can get a darn good answer here at the Forum for no charge. I noticed the Touring Laps are scheduled for Thursday,and there is a Corvette experience at the track on Friday.

I might suggest Kai Spande's talk on Thursday. Kai is the current plant manager, very approachable nice person.

If you are in to rubber chicken banquets, the Corvette Racing banquet might be worth the time, Doug Fehan is totally entertaining and very candid about what Corvette Racing is about.

Saturday is a Chin HPDE, so other than watching that from the top of the control building (worth the time, Chin has a reputation as a fast event). Then there is the KARTPLEX at the MSP. there probably won't be many BASH people at the track on Saturday, might be the day to visit there. usually there is parking right along the front of the Control building. The big paddock area will be full of Chin participants, and if you ask the gate guard where to park, he will tell you.

Other than that, you will find most Corvette folks will talk to you and willing to help. We have made many friends over the years just striking up a conversation while standing in line.
TonyBro1 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:22 AM
TonyBro1
Instructor

k24556, thanks a lot for all the info. We've already been discussing staying for all three days. I hope I can make that happen. The seminars sound like what I was looking for. I'll check them out. Hopefully I'll run into you there.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife and I go for the road trips and have signed up for one each day - especially the General Jackson road tour which we have done before. Following that tour we stay Saturday night in Nashville rather than return to BG. I was startled that Nashville hotels are full up that night. We had to book a room in Antioch. That's OK since it is on our way back to Florida. We do the road trips because there is no way my wife will sit through lectures. We generally stay at the Holiday Inn Express in BG and will this Bash as well. Ditto the Montana Grill. Safe travels and keep the shiny side up.

Last edited by Deftly; 01-07-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I noticed there is a Friday trip to Patti's 1880's Settlement. Haven't been there in a while, but along with the village, Patti's used to have a great restaurant. Their specialty was a 2 inch thick porkchop, that will take 2 adults to finish. Looks like the trip is more centered on the day, so it might just be their lunch menu. IF the NCM takes the BEST route, that would be 68 west, across Barclay lake and then north on the road between Kentucky lake and Barkley Lake. That will be some nice Kentucky scenery and lots of wildlife to see in the LBL .
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check it out, for Patti's.

https://www.opentable.com/pattis-188...IaAmDDEALw_wcB
Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM
zeagen
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
Sounds like you have done some homework; you have seen what is available during the Bash, now just pick out the one(s) that most interest you and go for it. This will be my 3rd consecutive year to attend; I spend two days across the HWY at the track teaching other Vette owners how to drive on track while my wife volunteers her time at the museum.

Signup early for lectures, they will fill fast. Get involved to get the best bang for your buck and have fun.
Can you signup for the "free" lectures now or have to wait until you get there. I signed up for all of the paid events but didn't see anyway to sign for the free sessions/seminars. THANKS......
Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Enjoy your time and when you drive, make sure your roof is locked down.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by zeagen
Can you signup for the "free" lectures now or have to wait until you get there. I signed up for all of the paid events but didn't see anyway to sign for the free sessions/seminars. THANKS......
Not sure what's going on with registration this year; I see what you mean, just the paid lectures are available to signup for when you register ]

You may want to check with Karen via email "Events Manager"
karen@corvettemuseum.org or Bryce "Events Associate"
bryce@corvettemuseum.org they will have all the answers. Good luck
Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Last year was my first time and I loved every minute of it. I think the Touring laps, CF dinner at Montana's, trip to Quaker Village and Paul's class were my highlights. CF dinner is on Friday night this year, so doesn't look like I'll be able to make it, but it's always fun to hang out with others from CF.

As far as the "free" seminars, they are usually held in the theater or ball/conference room and it's first come, first served -- but a lot of seating is available.

This year I signed up for the 2 HPDE days (Monday-Tuesday) and Paul's Track Prep class and will try to fit a session too.

They had a review of last year production# and a Q/A session last year that sound exactly what you are interested in. I'm not a 100% sure, but may be the "2019 Presentation including ZR1 & Walk Around" (sessions S8 and S12).

Of course there is the museum to to visit which is very cool, especially if you've never been to it. Have fun!!!

Last edited by redman76; 01-11-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Here is a link to the Forum Dinner thread. Hope you can join us.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-who-s-in.html

Do at least one tour, some parade laps on the track, a couple of seminars, the Forum Dinner and enjoy the museum and all the great folks who attend this event. This is my fourth time since taking delivery of my first Corvette at the Museum in March 2015. Hope to meet you at the dinner!

BJ
Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 PM
TonyBro1
Instructor

I just put our name in the hat for the dinner. Looking forward to it.
OVERULD (01-14-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

What hotel should the wife and I stay at??....signed up for a bunch of stuff, but haven't made hotel reservations. Help !

Get notified of new replies

To 1st time to NCM Bash. Any advice?

Old 01-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I've always stayed at the Drury inn. Always paid about $125-$140 per night depending on the time of year/event. IIRC, i pain arount $140/night for last years bash. It is a very nice place with a full hot complimentary breakfast. The parking lot last year had plenty of other Vettes.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,204 Likes on 3,451 Posts

If any time soon, bring heated long-johns?

Last edited by Avanti; 01-19-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBro1
My wife and I have decided to go to the NCM Bash this year for the first time. I thought maybe I could get some advice. I looked at the schedule and it looks like lots of things listed. It should be a lot of fun. I'm familiar with hotels and restaurants there but not the actual event other than what's listed. If I could only be there for two days, should I go Thursday and Friday or Friday and Saturday? Which activity or seminar or event is a "must attend"? I'm assuming I should be signing up now for some of these. Thanks in advance for any help.
What are the dates of NCM 2018? I may come up from Tennessee this year...

Is there a website to get entry vouchers for all the events, or, do I contact the NCM directly for passes?

I just bought a new 2017 C7, so I would assume there's a discount rate for we new C7 buyers out there when we attend. Since there's free NCM Annual membership for new buyers....

Can I reserve for two at these events, since I may bring a friend for the events??

Quick Reply: 1st time to NCM Bash. Any advice?