C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any known issues with Vararam air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Scottyb2945
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any known issues with Vararam air intake?

Happy New Year fellow members.

I'm considering putting an Vararam air intake on my newly acquired 2008 base M6, are there any known issues this may cause?

I'm asking because I have some friends with BMW M3's, and they have had some problems after putting forced air intakes on their cars.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything in the threads stating known issues, which I guess could be a good sign.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Vararam is one of the best you can put on your car. It does require modification to the radiator shroud, but overall easy to install and I havent noticed any issue with mine.
The following users liked this post:
VaraRam Industries (01-15-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

The only problem is that the car gets faster!

Installed one on my 2006 Corvette LS2 and was well pleased!

Put a few layers of cardboard under the shroud when cutting.

Good Luck and Enjoy that your new vette!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

They work, no doubt...but they are plagued with fitment issues.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I've got the older model Vararam installed since 2009, and I've had no issues at all. The computer will make the proper corrections based on the cooler air and flow, so no issues there either.
The early Vararam had some fitment issues, especially where the filter is housed. The outside casing would tend to bow out, and potentially leak dirty air past the filter element. I added extra foam around the filter housing to prevent that from happening.
I do keep a set of small sockets on board, and a pair of panty hose in the cubby just in case there is flash flooding. That way I can separate the lower section of the unit, so as to not suck in any water into the intake. In case your wondering, the panty hose would be stretched across the top portion to prevent any airborne contaminants from entering the intake, because the filter element would not be installed.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottyb2945
Happy New Year fellow members.

I'm considering putting an Vararam air intake on my newly acquired 2008 base M6, are there any known issues this may cause?

I'm asking because I have some friends with BMW M3's, and they have had some problems after putting forced air intakes on their cars.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything in the threads stating known issues, which I guess could be a good sign.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The problem with the BMW is the MAF gets pegged with not much increase in air volume. This is not an issue with the MAF on your 08 Base.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Scottyb2945
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your responses. Once we've recovered from all the holiday bills and the furniture I had to let my wife get since I bought another corvette, I will be purchasing and installing one.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I ran one for awhile on my 2008 C6.

I experienced a slight surging due to the finacky MAF sensor. It doesn't like the turbulent air the Vararam caused.

It does give some power at faster speeds but the fitment and fear of water ingestion prevailed and I went back to oem. And I don't drive in the rain. Just feared if I got caught in a storm on a trip.

I did have my tuner try to tune out the surge but I could still fill it when driving at a constant speed, slight agreed but nevertheless annoying.

There are many reported the same experience with the surging.

Last edited by Boomer111; 01-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-issue.html

This has some information. Once the shroud is cut then it is more difficult to return to oem. Gotta buy a new shroud and replace the cut one.

Vararam says it isn't the intake, but my experience shows differently.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scottyb2945
Thank you everyone for your responses. Once we've recovered from all the holiday bills and the furniture I had to let my wife get since I bought another corvette, I will be purchasing and installing one.
Research carefully cause it isn't cheap in the end if you need to return to stock. Replacement shroud and tuning.

This is assuming you are paying to have the work done and a tune for the vararam.

A tune will give more power than the Vararam as a stand alone mod.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM
lawson1603
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

i ran one on my 07 for over a year now with no negative problems only positive.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if you plug in the word and limit to c6 gen and tech, you'll get all the info you need. and far more than you got on this thread.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Been running a VARARAM since I got my car and have not experienced any issues with Surging etc ...
Best Mod you can make as it is the only true CAI that pulls from the front of the car supplying the engine with ambient air which, as long as its under 85 degrees, will stop the ECM from pulling timing

Dave
Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

it works and i've had no problems with it other than the quality is poor and required me to add weatherstripping to fully seal the airbox.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

PITA to install and more of a PITA to uninstall.

Raises coolant temps notably when used hard for a period of time.

Relatively small filter area.

Makes less power on the dyno compared to say the Halltech. 5rwhp less in my case, compared back to back with just a correction made for the map sensor location.

Poor fitment and looks.

Notably more danger of hydrolocking an engine because of the low and forward facing intake scoop.

Does not actually 'ram' any air at all, measured by others at up to 170 mph by watching engine parameters.

What it does do, and does very well, is where typically IAT's increase notably when idling, like for instance when waiting for your turn to get staged at the 1/4 mile track. And IATs can take a solid 1/8 mile before IATs decrease and your ECU adds back in your power producing timing. The Vararam suffers this temp increase way less. This is just the nature of the air intake snorkel on the Vararam being located far forward of the heat producing parts. It provides an advantage in this regard. I tested it back to back with my current Halltech and when idling in 100 degree TX rush hour traffic the Vararam was commonly 20-40 degrees lower IATs when stuck in traffic and cooled down quicker once moving as well. (I have an IAT gauge mounted in my car.)

I think if you run 1/4 mile and that's your preference, the Vararam is a reasonable choice.

I had one and was eager as heck to get it off, but then my goals were different. Mainly road-race track performance and to a lesser extent aesthetics.

Good luck.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 01-14-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Scottyb2945
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boomer111
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-issue.html

This has some information. Once the shroud is cut then it is more difficult to return to oem. Gotta buy a new shroud and replace the cut one.

Vararam says it isn't the intake, but my experience shows differently.
Thanks Boomer, good info
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Scottyb2945
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
PITA to install and more of a PITA to uninstall.

Raises coolant temps notably when used hard for a period of time.

Relatively small filter area.

Makes less power on the dyno compared to say the Halltech. 5rwhp less in my case, compared back to back with just a correction made for the map sensor location.

Poor fitment and looks.

Notably more danger of hydrolocking an engine because of the low and forward facing intake scoop.

Does not actually 'ram' any air at all, measured by others at up to 170 mph by watching engine parameters.

What it does do, and does very well, is where typically IAT's increase notably when idling, like for instance when waiting for your turn to get staged at the 1/4 mile track. And IATs can take a solid 1/8 mile before IATs decrease and your ECU adds back in your power producing timing. The Vararam suffers this temp increase way less. This is just the nature of the air intake snorkel on the Vararam being located far forward of the heat producing parts. It provides an advantage in this regard. I tested it back to back with my current Halltech and when idling in 100 degree TX rush hour traffic the Vararam was commonly 20-40 degrees lower IATs when stuck in traffic and cooled down quicker once moving as well. (I have an IAT gauge mounted in my car.)

I think if you run 1/4 mile and that's your preference, the Vararam is a reasonable choice.

I had one and was eager as heck to get it off, but then my goals were different. Mainly road-race track performance and to a lesser extent aesthetics.

Good luck.
Sun's, thanks for the reply.

I'm confused as to why it would raise the coolant temps when used hard, I would think that's where it would be more effective as its not sucking in the hot engine air? I'm not doubting what you have seen, just trying to understand it better.

So your using the Haltech? Did you need to get a tune job after install?

I will mostly just be driving on the street, no drag strips, and only occasional trips to road course tracks, like Pocono racetrack, maybe like once or twice a year.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Get notified of new replies

To Any known issues with Vararam air intake?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The Vararam blocks a large portion of your radiator, that's why Vararam equipped C6s get hot at the racetrack. I've been told it's a 15 degree difference for people that have swapped.

I was all in on Vararam based on reviews on this forum. My car was getting some work done and the shop felt so strongly about getting rid of it that he pulled the Halltech off of his car and dynoed it on my car. 5 more rwhp with the Halltech. He did not change the fueling or timing, just adjusted the maf sensor location to match the different intakes.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Scottyb2945
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The Vararam blocks a large portion of your radiator, that's why Vararam equipped C6s get hot at the racetrack. I've been told it's a 15 degree difference for people that have swapped.

I was all in on Vararam based on reviews on this forum. My car was getting some work done and the shop felt so strongly about getting rid of it that he pulled the Halltech off of his car and dynoed it on my car. 5 more rwhp with the Halltech. He did not change the fueling or timing, just adjusted the maf sensor location to match the different intakes.
Good info, thank you.

So you haven't had any issues with the Halltech?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been looking into getting a nice CIA also. There wont be any track days for me. Im just interested in 1/4 mile times as i will probably visit a few tracks this summer. For me it seems the Vararam is the way to go. Plus the Halltech one is much more expensive.

Quick Reply: Any known issues with Vararam air intake?