Sponsored by:

Electronic Tach

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM
rtruffa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Tach

My mechanical tach is giving me trouble (I have already lubed the cable with dry graphite) and since replacing the cable looks like a PITA, I'm wondering if anyone has installed one of the electronic tach conversion kits available at zip/wilcox, etc. and would share with me how that went. TIA
Old 01-15-2018, 05:24 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Changing the cable is not that tough. Looks a lot worse than it is. Takes 2 people.
Have you pulled the cable off of the distributor to test it with a drill? It may be that the gears in your distributor are going away.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I put the electronic tach in my 72. I bought it from Zip and it went in very easy and works fine. No problems, no complaints.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM
rtruffa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TimAT
Changing the cable is not that tough. Looks a lot worse than it is. Takes 2 people.
Have you pulled the cable off of the distributor to test it with a drill? It may be that the gears in your distributor are going away.
Thanks for the reply but at this point I'm pretty sure it's the tach itself not the cable and since I have to tear the dash apart I was looking to get info about the electronic conversion
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM
rtruffa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I put the electronic tach in my 72. I bought it from Zip and it went in very easy and works fine. No problems, no complaints.
Thanks that's great to hear . . . Did you hook the power up to your fuse block (ign) ??? Where did you ground it ??? I have an mad ingition so I already have a tach output so that part will be easy. Any info you can provide on the install will be greatly appreciated. FYI: I have a 73 so everything should be pretty much the same

Last edited by rtruffa; 01-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruffa
Thanks that's great to hear . . . Did you hook the power up to your fuse block (ign) ??? Where did you ground it ??? I have an mad ingition so I already have a tach output so that part will be easy. Any info you can provide on the install will be greatly appreciated. FYI: I have a 73 so everything should be pretty much the same

One wire to fuse box (ignition fuse) , one to tach output and one to ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Tach

Quick Reply: Electronic Tach