C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on value with mechanical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts on value with mechanical issues

I have a 2009 base 3LT Corvette with ~169k miles on the clock. My clutch was getting pretty gravelly, and I was expecting it to fail - overdue at that mileage! Suddenly something broke and I took it in to be fixed. Long story, but they ended up changing the drive shaft and clutch and fixing "leaking" transmission lines. Turns out the thing that broke was the transmission lines, and it wasn't just a leak, it was really bad - the transmission fluid basically all leaked out...

Having spent $$$ on a new clutch (albeit it was nearly done), I now have a whining transmission, so something in there is damaged. I'm having a bit of an argument with the dealer, as had I known that the transmission could have been damaged, I'd have got them to fix the lines first. I'd want to see if there was more damage before I did anything else, as I suspect my car was worth less than the combined clutch + transmission rework. Grr. So, the question I have is, what do you guys think the value of the car would have been (either for sale or just parts) if I had a clutch that was on the verge of failing, and it had a whining transmission? It's in pretty decent shape otherwise. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Very wild guess but I'd say maybe in the $8-10K range, maybe? I know that sounds low but with the semi-known things wrong, the noise, plus the things that at 169K miles on the clock that could be wrong or going out soon, that's my guess.

As to fixing lines first by knowing what was wrong, I suppose it really depends on what instructions you gave to the shop in the very beginning. I don't know if that one is "win-able." That's up to you.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm lost how did you not see a gear oil leak or as you call it a trans fluid line leak. I also thought the only lines for transmission we're for a cooler up front on a manual gear box??? Help me get straight.
​​​​​
With those issues I would only expect at least 2k less than low trade in from NADA.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Here is asking to privet party.

Here is what you can expect.

This is Kelly and they are very generous.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Thanks guys.

The transmission coolant line went suddenly while I was driving, and suddenly sounded awful. I couldn't see anything externally when I stopped, but wasn't able to pull over for a mile or so, and then took it in straight away. I likely won;t get anywhere, but I'm not at all happy with the feedback they gave me. They actually claim that the transmission whine is a different noise from the one I bought it in to be fixed (the reason listed on the paperwork for being brought in). It's clearly not - just a quieter version, now that the coolant is back at the right level.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Here is asking to privet party.
:
This is Kelly and they are very generous.
Thanks, yeah, I looked at KBB, but I'm assuming I'd be off the bottom of this if there was major issues like a clutch at the end of life, and a transmission problem. What I don't have a feel for is by how much

NADA lists ~$8800 as "rough" condition, their lowest category, so if the above is right, perhaps it'd be worth ~$6k in that state
Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Thank you for explaining now makes sense. Since you are in this deep you could try rebuilding trans yourself if you have room and the tools. Me personally I would fix myself always up for a challenge.

Or call copart and sell to them it still runs and drives has clean title I've seen them sell for outrageous prices on their auction site.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So if I am reading this right you have a new torque tube and clutch? Now you need a transmission? Either have your transmission rebuilt or find a used transmission and have it installed. It sounds like you are unable to do any of this work yourself? You are going to have to get a price on the repair and decide if the car is worth it or not but my initial feeling is the car has enough value to warrant the transmission repair.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

In the upper Midwest where I live we've outfits called 'Engine/Transmission Exchanges'.
Larger population areas w/could see 'em more than rural, tho' one has to check.

IF they've a totally rebuilt C6 transmission, or have access to one they're reasonably priced. Drop old one, replace.
Org xmission's required to be returned, so a 'core charge' is involved.
Not a big deal since most ETEs can do install, so core's there.

New clutch, TT and tranny provides for a reliable ride for another 170K. *Providing, routine maint/oil/brakes/tires are followed.

Unless $ isn't an issue it's a hellova lot less $ than acquiring a new vehicle; which, probably w/couldn't deliver near the performance & satisfaction a LS3/C6 does, anyway. YMMV

Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Very wild guess but I'd say maybe in the $8-10K range, maybe? I know that sounds low but with the semi-known things wrong, the noise, plus the things that at 169K miles on the clock that could be wrong or going out soon, that's my guess.

As to fixing lines first by knowing what was wrong, I suppose it really depends on what instructions you gave to the shop in the very beginning. I don't know if that one is "win-able." That's up to you.
Value of car - cost of repairs. 170k definitely hurts as that is high mileage in about any car.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I just did a KBB check for a '09 coupe with no options, good condition, and 169K miles. The mid private party value was $12K. I re-checked it with the only change being 269K miles and the value was $10.8K. And then one more time with only 69K miles with a value of $18.7K.

Since you do tend to drive more miles than average Vette owners and obviously enjoy the car, this might make your decision easier.

Let's suppose you spend $1K to fix/replace the trans to put your car in that "good condition" KBB range. That means you could drive it another 100K miles and the value would drop $1.2K. The other option would be to sell it for the now "good condition" price of $12K and purchase an identical car with 100K less miles for $18.7K.

The cost for option 1 is $1.2K over the next 5 years/100K miles.
The cost for option 2 is $6.7K over the next 5 years/100K miles.

Each option will have approximately the same maintenance issues, however, you just paid for the major issue (plus the trans fix) if you choose option 1, while that cost will arrive at the end of the next 100K miles when choosing option 2.

I'm at 151K miles and facing similar expenses with my '08. My plan is to spend about $2K to get 2 more years/30K miles out of it. Then de-mod and sell it. I do all my own work, which makes the cost lower.

Good luck with your choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on value with mechanical issues

Quick Reply: Thoughts on value with mechanical issues