Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping fuel tanks to solve issue. What else to address while they're out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Default Dropping fuel tanks to solve issue. What else to address while they're out?

Hey Gents,

I had a problem on my recently acquired C6 that was causing my #20 fuel pump fuse to blow. The shop says the problem is at the fuel pump, and they're going to have to drop the tanks. A few questions:

1. The car is an '05 base model but has a Lingenfelter 403, which puts out a little more than a stock C6 Z06. Is the OEM C6 Z6 pump a direct drop-in on the '05 cars? I'm assuming that should be ample for my current fueling needs. Up to what power level can the OEM pump cover?

2. Any suggestions on a better upgrade option while I'm in there?

3. Anything else I should be upgrading or addressing while the tanks are out of the car? I obviously don't want to be paying for another 10 hours of labor anytime soon to dig back into it!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 02-18-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:06 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Do the fuel lines that come out of the gas tanks. I had to make mine for a c5 (only part so far GM has stop making for C5s I've come across) and they were a tremendous pain (ie 10 hours labor from a shop) to get to and replace.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Jeff, do the cross over lines, and the conduit they are in. They can be finicky when they are old because they swell. It's cheap enough, just replace them. You'll save the parts cost in labor time. I also did both the left side fuel pump and right side venturi pump, as well as both fuel level senders because getting at them is such a pain. Do them now, you'll never have to touch them again. May as well do the evap purge valve too, though that's not horrible to get at even with the tanks and suspension in place.

As far as power level from the stock z06 pump, I'd try asking that in C6 tech or C6 forced induction. Most guys there are running enough power to worry about it. :p

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 01-18-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Received 211 Likes on 132 Posts

I would agree with a new cross over tube as well. Most shops, even experienced ones, will break those or the tabs getting it apart.

The 09 and up Z06 pump should be stronger than the earlier ones, but if you are looking for bigger power later on (north of 600whp), then the LPE one would be a good option.

If you are talking 4 digit power levels then I would look into a FORE system and multi pumps.

If E85 is on the table, make sure what ever pump and pickup sock you do choose to get is going to work with E.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Thanks so much guys! Another question...would all of the components listed above out of the 2009+ z06 fit in my 2005 base? Thanks again!

Also, can you gents please verify the part numbers on the diagram at this link?
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

I really, really don't want to have to pay someone to dig back into this thing!

Fuel pump (#11 in diagram)
venturi pump (#10)
crossover lines (#6)
conduit (#5)
fuel level senders (#16 and #17)
evap purge valve

Thanks!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-18-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Do the fuel lines that come out of the gas tanks. I had to make mine for a c5 (only part so far GM has stop making for C5s I've come across) and they were a tremendous pain (ie 10 hours labor from a shop) to get to and replace.
Which ones would those be in the fuel system diagram link I posted? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Don't know if later parts will fit earlier cars, but I normally go to Patrick or Gene at Cultrag for those questions. They are forum vendors. Patrick has never steered me wrong.

Those part numbers look right.

The purge valve should come with a new upgraded harness as well. The new style purge valve has a different plug than the original, and there will be a new harness which is about 3 inches long and is a gender changer. Should be included and is plug and play.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Which ones would those be in the fuel system diagram link I posted? Thanks!
It is the cross over tubes that Sox Fan did I much better job than me explaining. 8 and 9 I think on your diagram but go ahead and do any lines back there that would be hard to get to with the tanks in.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping fuel tanks to solve issue. What else to address while they're out?

Quick Reply: Dropping fuel tanks to solve issue. What else to address while they're out?