C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Check Engine light still on...

Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 AM
quadracerx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine light still on...

I finally got a chance to work on the car again!! I put a fuel pressure gauge in line between the two throttle bodies and get between 15-17 Lbs of pressure with the car running....

So now I still have the "Check Engine Light" and it is hard starting sometimes I have to pour a small dash of fuel into the throttle bodies but then it starts right up?

So its not fuel pressure, no codes with a Snap On MT2000 Scanner, no codes with the "Paper Clip method"?

So now Im wondering if it could be my MAP sensor or the IAC valves?

Any help you can provide would be great as Im at a loss as to what to do next?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

What year are we working on?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:46 AM
quadracerx
Intermediate

Oh... Sorry I guess that would help...LOL

1984 with Crossfire Injection... all stock

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

With the XFire check your Throttle Position First. The setting should be at .525.

The fact that you can pour gas and fire it off tells me the (first) step is check your TPS setting. After that, IAC, MAP sensor...etc.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Not clear why the Check Engine Light would be "ON" with no codes set. However, your hard start issue could be the fuel pump relay. If you have an extended cranking period prior to the engine firing off, does the fuel pump run when you turn the engine "ON" prior to cranking it? Check the fuel pressure with your gauge on a cold start, ignition "ON" without cranking. It should rise to 13 psi and then drop back to 0 psi when the pump stops after about 5 secs. Then turn engine "OFF" and attempt to start it. Pressure should rise immediately to 13 PSI and stay there while engine runs. If you have to crank the engine for a long time prior to seeing a fuel pressure increase the pump relay is suspect. The L83 engine uses an oil pressure switch as a backup to the fuel pump relay to turn on the pump but, it takes a bit of cranking to work. Sorry about the windy answer... it just takes a bit to go thru the workings!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

Where is the fuel pump relay located?

How do I test my or measure my Throttle position Sensor?

Will either of these cause the "Check Engine Light" to come on?

Thanks for all your help..

Steve
Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Originally Posted by quadracerx
Where is the fuel pump relay located?

How do I test my or measure my Throttle position Sensor?

Will either of these cause the "Check Engine Light" to come on?

Thanks for all your help..

Steve
The Fuel Pump Relay is located in the engine compartment to the immediate left of the wiper motor, held on with 2 nuts if I remember right.

To test the TPS you need a digital multi-meter and a jumper harness or you can probe the connector from the back side. Initial reading should be 0.525 volts between terminal A and B (A is bottom, B is middle on the TPS, ignition on not running). Then slowly open throttle and ensure that readings move smoothly throughout the range. A jump, dead spot or plateau is a bad TPS.

A bad TPS circuit could set trouble codes 21 or 22 and turn on the Check Engine Light.

Hope this helps, I'm going from memory as I no longer have an 84 FSM. When I still had my 84 I did a lot of this however! I recommend a real 1984 GM service manual as there are a lot of unique things about a Cross-Fire.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
Not clear why the Check Engine Light would be "ON" with no codes set.
That one has me perplexed too......
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
That one has me perplexed too......
Yes, very strange to get a Check Engine Light only with no codes. I guess the ECM could be bad but I've never seen it happen that way.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

I forot to mention I already replaced the ECU with a "rebuilt" one...

Check engine light still on...

I ordered a TPS test harness and new TPS Module.... So we will see... Still a bit unclear as to how to adjust it?

Thanks for all the help..

Steve
Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

I forot to mention I already replaced the ECU with a "rebuilt" one...

Check engine light still on...

I ordered a TPS test harness and new TPS Module.... So we will see... Still a bit unclear as to how to adjust it?

Thanks for all the help..

Steve
The TPS turns on its mounting screws. With the ignition "ON" and not running twist it until the multi-meter shows 0.525 volts between terminals A and B and tighten it up.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

Ok... I will let you know when I get the TPS and the "Tester" setup.

Thanks again, for all the help!!

Steve
Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
Yes, very strange to get a Check Engine Light only with no codes. I guess the ECM could be bad but I've never seen it happen that way.
Should see code 12 at least, otherwise something is wrong with ECM. Could also be connections to the ECM. If no code at all is shown, remove the ECM, battery disconnected first, and remove/insert MEMCAL, carefully. Same for cables to ECM, remove and install a couple of times. Then recheck.

After disconnecting battery, press brake for 10 seconds, reconnect battery, is the Check light still on? That would also point to ECM.

(guys, don't go off about pressing brake, I know. Worth doing with a big problem, it's 10 seconds. And, ya know.)

Last edited by kael; 01-23-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: cables, right
Old 01-23-2018, 11:49 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

The "Check Engine Light" was on with the original ECU.. I thought that maybe the ECU was bad and causing the Check Engine Light. So I replaced it with a Reman ECU and still have the Check Engine Light....

I will try the "Press brake for 10 seconds" before reconnecting battery and see if that does anything and I will disconnect and reconnect the ECU and cables... And try re-seating the EPROM too...

At this point Im lost... But I cant work on the car for at least a week, hopefully the TPS Tester will show up and I can check that too...

My plan is to use the tester first to take a reading on the current TPS then if adjustment is needed try that...

If I need to replace the TPS I will...

If none of that changes the "Check Engine Light" situation then I will try the ECU re-seating, brake pedal thing...

Thanks so much for everyone's help... This Check Engine Light thing is crazy...LOL

Steve
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

The "Check Engine Light" was on with the original ECU.. I thought that maybe the ECU was bad and causing the Check Engine Light. So I replaced it with a Reman ECU and still have the Check Engine Light....

I will try the "Press brake for 10 seconds" before reconnecting battery and see if that does anything and I will disconnect and reconnect the ECU and cables... And try re-seating the EPROM too...

At this point Im lost... But I cant work on the car for at least a week, hopefully the TPS Tester will show up and I can check that too...

My plan is to use the tester first to take a reading on the current TPS then if adjustment is needed try that...

If I need to replace the TPS I will...

If none of that changes the "Check Engine Light" situation then I will try the ECU re-seating, brake pedal thing...

Thanks so much for everyone's help... This Check Engine Light thing is crazy...LOL

Steve
Does the car run alright with the Check Engine Light on? I'd be tempted to take the bulb out!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:13 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

It runs fine... has a slight miss but I think I need to set the timing...

And trust me I havent ruled out pulling the bulb... Just want to exhaust all the options first...

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-25-2018, 01:59 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

It is very odd to have a Check Engine Light without codes.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 PM
quadracerx
Intermediate

TPS Testing Harness showed up today!! I wont be able to work on the car until later in the week, but have the tester a new MAP sensor and new TPS.... My plan is to run a test on the existing TPS depending on results replace the TPS if needed... IF Check Engine Light goes away... We are good...

If not replace MAP sensor... If Check Engine Light is still on after all this...

I will pull both TBI units and have them rebuilt... They need it anyway, the rebuilder says he can test my existing IAC motors... If they need replacement then so be it...

Hopefully through all this the Check Engine Light goes away... IF NOT...Im pulling the bulb... Since I have to send the Digital Dash in for repair, it should be easy..LOL

I appreciate everyones help and advice through everything... This group is great!!

Steve
Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

TPS Testing Harness showed up today!! I wont be able to work on the car until later in the week, but have the tester a new MAP sensor and new TPS.... My plan is to run a test on the existing TPS depending on results replace the TPS if needed... IF Check Engine Light goes away... We are good...

If not replace MAP sensor... If Check Engine Light is still on after all this...

I will pull both TBI units and have them rebuilt... They need it anyway, the rebuilder says he can test my existing IAC motors... If they need replacement then so be it...

Hopefully through all this the Check Engine Light goes away... IF NOT...Im pulling the bulb... Since I have to send the Digital Dash in for repair, it should be easy..LOL

I appreciate everyones help and advice through everything... This group is great!!

Steve
It should be interesting to see the results of your TPS testing.

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine light still on...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine light still on...