Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Racing Class in SFR SCCA. SSC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Racing Class in SFR SCCA. SSC5

The new Corvette class for racing in the San Francisco Region of the SCCA is official. SSC5. Sealed Spec C5.

What is it? A C5. It has a few modifications. LG Motorsports has put together a great suspension and exhaust package, available through Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. Thanks Rich and Lou for all the help getting this off the ground!

Some Wilwood accessories, wheels and tires, and your ready to go.

These cars rock... But don't roll!

This is REAL wheel to wheel racing! We race our Club Racing Circuit at the World famous track of Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway, and ThunderHill Raceway!

Drivers school is in February if you need a completion license (required).

This class is also "exclusive" to the SFR SCCA region.

The car is also eligible to race in SCCA class T1. Remember, the SCCA Runoffs are in Sonoma this year!

Our magazine, "The Wheel" is available Friday at www.sfrscca.org. There is an entire article in there answering questions.

Best yet, build costs, including the cost of the car, run from 19-25k. We do have one that cost less, but that is another story... (Free car).

Want to have fun this year! It's here! The rules are set, the schedule is set.. Get ready for fun.... Let's go Racing!

If you would like a set of the official rules and specs, I would be more than happy to email them to you. PM me, or you can always call the region office @ 530-934-4455, or toll free @ 888-995-7222

Who's ready to take the checkered!

Last edited by timbo79; 01-19-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

How is this different from the Spec Vette?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

(a) 14 pages of class rules
(b) C5 non-Z06 cars and parts
(c) 350 RWHP dyno limit
(d) Similar types of allowed mods, different vendor parts in some cases.
(e) NorCal SCCA region sponsored.

TL;DR -- Not much different in intent, though the current parts choices make the two series incompatible unless you look at T1.
http://www.sfrscca.org/wp-content/up...ette-Final.pdf
Old 01-19-2018, 03:10 AM
D K
Pro

So can the cars cross over, or no?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

While it doesn’t affect me (this is another reason prefer to race with NASA) you have shake your head and wonder why one region would create a new class that doesn’t cross to the existing one when all the framework is already in place. But then again.....it is San Francisco, they have to be able to complain about inequality.....Lol.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D K
So can the cars cross over, or no?
It's a definite maybe.

Most of the specs align such that a mildly prepared car would be able to run in both series. Motor configuration for SSC5 may be at a bit of a disadvantage since it's geared towards LS1 C5 parts with a lower max RWHP target, but a few of the bolt-ons would keep you in both classes.

This ends abruptly if you opt to do suspension work beyond the legacy T1 parts. The full spec parts from each organization are incompatible, unless there's something occurring that hasn't been published.
Ditto, the spec tire in each division is incompatible -- both series point to a 18x10.5 wheel spec, however a 275 Hoosier is used in one series, versus the 315 Falkens. Spec Corvette allows for non-GM Z06 wheels up to 18x11, while SFR indicates OE 18x10.5.

I'm not an expert in both classes, and really haven't spent more than a few minutes reading the SSC5 spec. If you want to run for fun, then yes ... there's a chance that you could build a car that would meet both specs with a tire change.
Competitive drivers would likely bolt on everything they can that the series allows ... and this is where you'd have a car that (a) would require a bunch more parts swaps from weekend to weekend, or (b) wouldn't be viable to compete in both series.

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
you have shake your head and wonder why one region would create a new class that doesn’t cross to the existing one when all the framework is already in place
Agreed. Based on CalClub's willingness to bring Spec Corvette on as a regional class and now SFR's attempt to create a new regional class, you'd think someone would take the easier route.
I don't want it to sound petty, but it almost seems like there was a "Oh yeah?!? Well I can do that too!" moment somewhere ....
Old 01-19-2018, 12:39 PM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
you have shake your head and wonder why one region would create a new class that doesn’t cross to the existing one when all the framework is already in place. .
Spec Corvette is already with SCCA as a regional class, AND is in California. AND also just started.
this will just dilute everything.

I am gonna start a new Spec C5 California series with SCCA, writing up the rule now. any input is appreciated.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-19-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

This class has been approved by National SCCA and will be debuting at the Season opener in March. It is meant to be a competitive class, while keeping the costs down, and not to create an "arms race" in Terms of dollars spent to race and win. Getting the rules approved and blessed by National took some time. While we would have preferred a short list, Natio al asked that we use the same format as T1, and we needed to list everything out, hence the 14 page rule book.

CalClub is welcome! We have a bunch of folks that race in our regionals from them (from other classes)

The driving force is to have an inexpensive race class that is competitive. Spec Miata won't last forever. Some of this cars qualify for the Historics now! Another class, Spec Mustang, started out with the same goal, however, over the years, changes have been made, driving build costs to upwards of $45k. (There has been grumblings from some of those drivers, since SSC5 will be running in the same group as them)

We look forward to a great season and would love to welcome everyone that wants to join in. It will be a good year! Our season opener is in March at ThunderHill. The region will be dedicating that weekend as a celebration of life for Ron Cortez, owner of AIM tires, who passed away a short time ago. Ron was our go to guy on tires for this class, and was instrumental in our tire choice. If you've ever raced at Sonoma, his shop is there, and if you needed a new set of tires, Ron would go out of his way to make sure you got them! He will be missed.

Our regional races 3/4 will be at Laguna Seca 2 weeks later. This might be more attractive for CalClub folks, since it saves an extra 3-3.5 hours on the trip up here.

Our schedule is posted www.sfrscca.org

Questions are welcome!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:41 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timbo79
This class has been approved by National SCCA and will be debuting at the Season opener in March. It is meant to be a competitive class, while keeping the costs down, and not to create an "arms race" in Terms of dollars spent to race and win. Getting the rules approved and blessed by National took some time. While we would have preferred a short list, Natio al asked that we use the same format as T1, and we needed to list everything out, hence the 14 page rule book.
I have to admit, I'm confused. Is SSC5 a National class, or regional? I don't see SSC5 in the GCR, nor in the last tech update. It sounded like this was a regional class ... which I know that CalClub has accepted without changes, specification updates, etc. I'm also not sure how that changes the fact that an arms race has been created simply by creating a duplicate but different "spec" in a close-by region. Is there a problem with the Spec Corvette class from SCCA National's perspective?

At the end of the day, I guess I have no dog in this fight because the rule subset straight-up excludes the C5 I have that would otherwise be eligible, but would have to question how this gap came up to begin with.

The driving force is to have an inexpensive race class that is competitive. Spec Miata won't last forever. Some of this cars qualify for the Historics now! Another class, Spec Mustang, started out with the same goal, however, over the years, changes have been made, driving build costs to upwards of $45k. (There has been grumblings from some of those drivers, since SSC5 will be running in the same group as them)
I think the intent is fantastic, but again have to say that I'm confused by the timing. Granted, I'm not paying attention to CF as a core fundamental of my life, but had heard about the Spec Corvette class ages ago. Same tenet. Did the governing bodies just not agree on the requirements, ending up with a gap between the two classes? Seems to me that it would have been an easy conversation to allow all but an easy bolt-on (eg, tires) to be covered.

CalClub is welcome! We have a bunch of folks that race in our regionals from them (from other classes)
Since -- to your point -- NorCal and SoCal are in such close proximity it's a shame that I can't bring my Spec car along when I head out of region. I have to say, tho ... if I'm in Southern Cal, I'm not going to build my car to SFR's class spec for one or two weekends out of the year. I'm going to build to where I get as much track time with the sanctioning bodies that accept my car.
I know that I can run CalClub in a Spec Corvette class without having to worry about getting beat up in T1 or in ITE. I know that I can run Spec Corvette outside of CalClub down here without any issues, and a ton of events have been planned. I also know that there are a bunch of folk building Spec Corvette cars OUTSIDE of SoCal ... so there's a bit of momentum.
I'd like to think that as a Spec Corvette and CalClub participant that I'd be welcome in the SFR class, but it just doesn't feel that way.

The region will be dedicating that weekend as a celebration of life for Ron Cortez, owner of AIM tires, who passed away a short time ago. Ron was our go to guy on tires for this class, and was instrumental in our tire choice. If you've ever raced at Sonoma, his shop is there, and if you needed a new set of tires, Ron would go out of his way to make sure you got them! He will be missed.
I met Ron a long time ago, and was a great guy. He'll be missed for sure.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:11 PM
D K
Pro

I just dont understand how any self respecting racer would even consider creating a series that is ‘almost’ the same as another series that is getting off the ground??

Are you trying to say that your series is better than Spec Vette?
If not then why would you NOT use the same set of rules?
Why create something that has 90% in common with a different series?

That is so stupid and immature.

I guess that has always plagued American road racing...
CART was a successful series with a huge following. Look what happened when they split..

American kart racing has 800 different classes.
European seris has 8.
Which is more successful?

Even Spec Boxter.

The problem is that too many people have selfish, commercial interests that they play off as ‘good for the sport’.

Agggghhhhh. This angers me to no end!
The following users liked this post:
bellwilliam (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like typical SCCA politics. Maybe it’s time for NASA to launch a Spec Vette class that crosses over to the original concept. You also have ask how SCCA national allows this to go on.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response. This is a regional class for SFR SCCA. We would like it to go national. this is the first year and we will see what happens.
We eliminated Z06's as we didn't want to deal with the restrictor plate issue. In addition, Z06 intakes are acceptable since they were on the '01 and later cars.
Our tire selection was based on cost per race. Ron had suggested the Toyo's, rain and dry specs. We have run them and they will last at least two, possibly three race weekends. I personally keep 2-3 sets with me at the track and use them according to need. i.e practice, qualifying, race.
The LG suspension and exhaust kits are great. we chose those for the discounts received as well as the superior quality (our opinion, based on real life input)

The whole idea is bang for the buck. We have good negotiated prices, and the expendable cost (tires, pad, rotors, etc.) are kept to a minimum.

I would say if someone is to build a car, build it to the specs for the region you are running in.

I am sure there could be changes to the specs down the road, but the nuts and bolts will probably remain the same. maybe wheels/Tires, etc.. availability of parts at some point may be a problem. But for this first season, we will see what happens. SFR is always open to discussions, if they make sense. CalClub hasn't reached out to us (I'm on the SFR BoD), nor did National tell us of a regional class down there at Cal Club. (Nor did John Bauer, who reviewed our rules as National Chief Tech, and I am sure he reviewed the CalClub rules as well)

SFR has wanted a "spec class" where the cars are equal, and its up to the driver. there are always going to be folks who want to change something or want to do something for an advantage. SRF has their rules, SM has theirs. We have the regional SMT, and SSM (In SFR) the goal is to have fun!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
D K
Pro

I think you missed the entire scope of my post.

Why is there a class being created when there is Spec Vette coming up that doesnt cross over???

Thanks for the response. This is a regional class for SFR SCCA. We would like it to go national. this is the first year and we will see what happens.
We eliminated Z06's as we didn't want to deal with the restrictor plate issue. In addition, Z06 intakes are acceptable since they were on the '01 and later cars.
Our tire selection was based on cost per race. Ron had suggested the Toyo's, rain and dry specs. We have run them and they will last at least two, possibly three race weekends. I personally keep 2-3 sets with me at the track and use them according to need. i.e practice, qualifying, race.
The LG suspension and exhaust kits are great. we chose those for the discounts received as well as the superior quality (our opinion, based on real life input)

The whole idea is bang for the buck. We have good negotiated prices, and the expendable cost (tires, pad, rotors, etc.) are kept to a minimum.

I would say if someone is to build a car, build it to the specs for the region you are running in.

I am sure there could be changes to the specs down the road, but the nuts and bolts will probably remain the same. maybe wheels/Tires, etc.. availability of parts at some point may be a problem. But for this first season, we will see what happens. SFR is always open to discussions, if they make sense. CalClub hasn't reached out to us (I'm on the SFR BoD), nor did National tell us of a regional class down there at Cal Club. (Nor did John Bauer, who reviewed our rules as National Chief Tech, and I am sure he reviewed the CalClub rules as well)

SFR has wanted a "spec class" where the cars are equal, and its up to the driver. there are always going to be folks who want to change something or want to do something for an advantage. SRF has their rules, SM has theirs. We have the regional SMT, and SSM (In SFR) the goal is to have fun!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:41 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D K
I think you missed the entire scope of my post.

Why is there a class being created when there is Spec Vette coming up that doesnt cross over???
Our SFR SCCA is nor "being created". It is created and an official class in our region, blessed by National.

This has been in the works for a while. When a class is created, one has to look at several things. First off, will it be attended and have participants. There are a ton of different classes in SCCA regions. Some don't even have 1 car enter into them during the season. The SFR has put a lot of time and effort into this class. I am sure that we will at some point speak with CalClub. I am still confused as to why National didn't mention to us CalClub's sanctioned series. (since they all go through the same approval process)

We welcome any one in the class that meets the class spec! Here's to a great year!

Last edited by timbo79; 01-19-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D K
Reading between the lines, "Oh yeah, we can do that too" is starting to sound a bit more true and to the point.

Our SFR SCCA is nor "being created". It is created and an official class in our region, blessed by National.
I don't believe that's the concern, nor do I believe that D K is questioning SFR's addition of a new regional class.
I don't want to speak for D K, and as such won't.

My question would be simply this: Since Spec Corvette has been a discussion point for quite some time, why was there limited consideration for the Spec Corvette class -- an established set of class rules -- taken in to account with SSC5? From the outside looking in, this appears to be a copy of an existing regional program with parts and vendor changes based on preference.

The sad thing is that the current rule set alienates a viable set of cars that have been built so far in a very close locale, and I don't have expectations as a competitor that I'll be able to participate in the class when I race in other regions. I won't build to your spec when I have a better opportunity to build to my region's spec.

I'm with Hi Volts Z06 on this one.

I really hope that SFR is able to gain the kind of momentum that Spec Corvette has been able to generate in So Cal since I believe in the intent .... and I hope that the minor variances of "spec" requirements between regions doesn't put a damper on a really good idea.
The following 3 users liked this post by emf:
bellwilliam (01-19-2018), D K (01-19-2018), timbo79 (01-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New Racing Class in SFR SCCA. SSC5

Quick Reply: New Racing Class in SFR SCCA. SSC5