Sponsored by:

Window Gremlins - need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:48 PM
RocketNerd
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Window Gremlins - need help

After pulling my dash on my 1976 Stingray, dying the interior a whole new color and reupholstering my dash, during that time I went ahead and did some wiring troubleshooting and fixing from the PO's bubba style fixes. I got both window switches working great. While I was putting the dash in, I would periodically check to ensure they still functioned (my OCD) and after I got everything back in and installed, neither of them worked. Fast forward to this weekend, I decided to troubleshoot, since neither window worked firstly I checked the fuse, it wasn't blown, replaced it anyway just in case, no luck. Since neither were functioning with the switches, I went to the relay next, so i pulled it apart, cleaned the contacts, and bench tested it, it worked perfectly, thought maybe it was the ground bolt, wire brushed the mounting point and cleaned up both sides, no luck, so just to be sure, grounded it directly to the radio ground wire, still no dice. Next i pulled apart the window switches (drivers was OEM, passenger looks like an aftermarket) but i cleaned out all the buildup and crud, cleaned the contacts and verified they made contact from the rockers, re-installed and still no window function. I cleaned the wire contacts to the switches and even bent them in slightly more to ensure they grip the window switches, still nothing. Now i assume they weren't getting any electricity, so i checked the fuse again, and the wires coming out. Everything looks to be in good working order, plugged in correctly, no fuses blown, no wires cut, can't seem to figure this out. I know both window motors function, but since i don't even hear the relay click, it has to be somewhere between the power and the switches. Anything i may have missed? Thanks guys!

Last edited by RocketNerd; 01-19-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:14 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

The fuse could be good but the contacts it presses into may be corroded. You can either use a spray contact cleaner or by a fiberglass pencil (auto parts store) and clean them up. It is a lot easier to use a test light or meter to follow the voltage from fuse to switch rather than cleaning and checking
Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

the power window wire just pushes in the fuse panel, could you of knocked it out ? Since it was an accessory, they just added the power by pushing a wire in the fuse panel, it knocks out easily, ask me how I know.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 PM
RocketNerd
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've checked the panel, no corrosion on the contacts, and i've gone through the wires a few times and made sure its seated properly in the fuse panel...
Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketNerd
I've checked the panel, no corrosion on the contacts, and i've gone through the wires a few times and made sure its seated properly in the fuse panel...
Bad ground wire?
Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Not real familiar with your year,

The chrome cars have a relay under the radio. When the ignition key is on the relay allows power to the windows.

I would check the switch and make sure you have a live feed to the switch first.

There is also a circuit breaker on the firewall near the windshield wiper motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Gremlins - need help

Quick Reply: Window Gremlins - need help