C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Thought I was in Mexico.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 PM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Thought I was in Mexico.......

Sadly, it was NEEEWWW MEXICO as the professional and courteous trooper in Black proceeded to inform me.

Anyway, if you need attorney type help on the I25 slog through T or C I recommend J. Rubin. I still had to show up for the date but it was a real benefit having a well reasoned voice help me beg the, once again professional,courteous, and understandably reluctant trooper for leniency.

Just to share.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 PM
ONENATION
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Happy you made out!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Hope you bought a good radar detector! Never go with out it!
Fight every ticket! Glad for you!
Old 01-20-2018, 12:51 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by HMDS
Anyway, if you need attorney type help on the I25 slog through T or C I recommend J. Rubin. I still had to show up for the date but it was a real benefit having a well reasoned voice help me beg the, once again professional,courteous, and understandably reluctant trooper for leniency.

Just to share.
Thanx for the info.
What is your phone number Mr. Rubin?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:49 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

How fast were you going? (Allegedly, of course!)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM
HMDS
Racer

Well , I am not J, but he’ll come up on google if you are really need it. I guess the post did look like a self promo. Meh.

I had had a working passport at the time, but could not scrub off enough speeds quickly. He was not running with his radar on and I was admittedly sloppy. . It was a weekday afternoon and the 25 is a very desolate freeway in places. Well except for the troopers.
Just sharing the reference.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I've had no convictions in nearly 8 years. I have however exchanged autographs with representatives from various state governments 7 times in that same time period. Very good lawyers have negotiated a purchase price for said autographs that varied from $99 to $200. Not sure they are worth anything but I'm also not interested in growing my collection.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Having a CDL keeps me from really getting into it. I cannot afford the points on my license.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

Shoot if you were having fun it should be worth it. Every thing that's fun costs big $$$ nowadays.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have never used a lawyer to resolve a speeding ticket. I did all of the negotiating and had several of them dropped or reduced to insignificant charges for various reasons (my favorite is failure to obey a traffic device which was a minimal fine/court fee which was far less than the cost of a lawyer). The big problem I had was after negotiating with the DA to get charges reduced the judge had a choice in how large the court fee was. So you still had to impress the judge how upstanding and sorry you were. If a lawyer can do it you can do it.

Remember this: In traffic cases you don't get all of your constitutional rights. You get the right to a speedy trial but not the right to a fair trial, you are guilty as soon as the LEO starts to write the ticket. If you are paying several hundred dollars to a lawyer every time you have an issue the traffic ticket is still costing you. The idea is to bring the penalty to the minimum which may mean not paying a lawyer.

Bill
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Having a CDL keeps me from really getting into it. I cannot afford the points on my license.
I have not been pulled over since 1987. You'd think saying it would jinx it, but nope!

My wife, however, has had about 3 tickets in the last 10 years. She has a local attorney that specializes in getting rid of tickets, and somehow she's had all three dismissed. Costs about $375 a shot even if you win though! Still, I'm sure it works out better than having the insurance rates go up.

Last edited by davepl; 01-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Here in AZ you can do an online traffic school, which coincidentally costs the same as the ticket but once finished your ticket does not get reported to other agencies or come up on insurance back ground checks. You can do this once a year if needed.
We have photo radar and mobile units here so you never even see the officer. Ticket just shows up with a pic of you, your car and the radar info.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have never used a lawyer to resolve a speeding ticket. I did all of the negotiating and had several of them dropped or reduced to insignificant charges for various reasons (my favorite is failure to obey a traffic device which was a minimal fine/court fee which was far less than the cost of a lawyer). The big problem I had was after negotiating with the DA to get charges reduced the judge had a choice in how large the court fee was. So you still had to impress the judge how upstanding and sorry you were. If a lawyer can do it you can do it.

Remember this: In traffic cases you don't get all of your constitutional rights. You get the right to a speedy trial but not the right to a fair trial, you are guilty as soon as the LEO starts to write the ticket. If you are paying several hundred dollars to a lawyer every time you have an issue the traffic ticket is still costing you. The idea is to bring the penalty to the minimum which may mean not paying a lawyer.

Bill
Having a lawyer fight it when you live in NC and get one in FL, VA, GA etc makes more sense. Also if you only got it reduced and not dismissed you missed a huge opportunity. I’m currently qualifying for safe driver discount with 0 tickets in nearly 10 years. Let the lawyers earn their money and you go do what you do best
Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan79423
Shoot if you were having fun it should be worth it. Every thing that's fun costs big $$$ nowadays.
You have a point...
Have never used a lawyer to resolve a speeding ticket. I did all of the negotiating and had several of them dropped or reduced to insignificant charges for various reasons (my favorite is failure to obey a traffic device which was a minimal fine/court fee which was far less than the cost of a lawyer). The big problem I had was after negotiating with the DA to get charges reduced the judge had a choice in how large the court fee was. So you still had to impress the judge how upstanding and sorry you were. If a lawyer can do it you can do it. Remember this: In traffic cases you don't get all of your constitutional rights. You get the right to a speedy trial but not the right to a fair trial, you are guilty as soon as the LEO starts to write the ticket. If you are paying several hundred dollars to a lawyer every time you have an issue the traffic ticket is still costing you. The idea is to bring the penalty to the minimum which may mean not paying a lawyer. Bill
One word: insurance.
Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I have not been pulled over since 1987. You'd think saying it would jinx it, but nope! My wife, however, has had about 3 tickets in the last 10 years.
FWIW, I would be too embarrassed to admit my wife drives faster than me.
Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Here in AZ you can do an online traffic school, which coincidentally costs the same as the ticket but once finished your ticket does not get reported to other agencies or come up on insurance back ground checks. You can do this once a year if needed. We have photo radar and mobile units here so you never even see the officer. Ticket just shows up with a pic of you, your car and the radar info.
Wow, would that be irritating!

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-20-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 PM
HMDS
Racer

I had the Atty to mitigate insurance impact-I have one teen currently and one coming this summer- and there was a risk of losing license from this single event. I have a clean record and will keep it that way now if I can behave for 45 more days or so. I m living in a cruise control world right now- contemplating what a driverless future will be like. Blech.

I wish someone would answer my question in another thread about the micro suede interior and how it holds up long term. Anyone have it after30k miles??
Old 01-20-2018, 10:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

How about 90 in a 60 my son inlaw was behind me his ticker read 90 in 65 and different location. This cost us about 300 bucks a piece no charges show up kept insurance at bay.
Sorry didn't mean to steal your post just explaining why lawyers are best at this.
z51vett
Doug
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:40 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Exactly. All mine were a minimum of 25 over, but under 100mph (wreckless) so a lawyer was the best option. Worst was 38 over.....again went away with a great lawyer.

Get notified of new replies

To Thought I was in Mexico.......

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Connman
How fast were you going? (Allegedly, of course!)
out with it already!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Bill
Sometimes you have to pay to play, and to escape the conviction of a speeding ticket that may be a felony offense, and the accompanying increase in already exorbitant insurance costs good legal counsel is money well spent. And, before someone asks I am not an attorney.
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Here in AZ you can do an online traffic school, which coincidentally costs the same as the ticket but once finished your ticket does not get reported to other agencies or come up on insurance back ground checks. You can do this once a year if needed.
We have photo radar and mobile units here so you never even see the officer. Ticket just shows up with a pic of you, your car and the radar info.
Not if they can't see your face. I recommend DARK tint..
<<<<<<<<<<<< Like this

Remember the guy who wore the Monkey mask and got like 37 speeding tickets in AZ..

https://jalopnik.com/5355617/man-avo...ng-monkey-mask

Last edited by NASTYC7; 01-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Thought I was in Mexico.......