Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How to measure quench

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to measure quench

Doing a head swap on my LS7. I think rule of thumb is don't go tighter than 0.035" quench.

Question: Is that a nominal measurement on the pin centerline axis, or does the 0.035" have be added on top of any possible piston rock?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Public Enemy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Head gasket thickness + deck height = quench area
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 PM
Public Enemy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how you can measure rock. Oem pistons are usually more stable and do not rock like some aftermarket pistons.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 AM
QwkTrip
Instructor

It rocks. Just push on it with your finger or gently tap it with rubber mallet.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 AM
QwkTrip
Instructor

I took measurements of piston #8. I'm guessing in this example I should use a value of 0.008 inch out of deck. This equates to a gasket thickness of 0.045 inch to get just a hair over 0.035 quench. And repeat 7 more times to see which piston is worst case scenario....

On piston centerline:
0.008 inch (left and right side)

Piston rocked down at top side:
top .002
bottom .011
Average = .0065

Piston rocked down at bottom side:
top .009
bottom .005
Average = .007
Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Measure over the pin, as that part of the piston will not give. Remember that as the piston sees heat, it will expand and rock will be reduced. 35 is tight. I shoot for 40. LS heads are more forgiving than gen 1, but I still like to use old school rules until they are proven to be false.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:45 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I use the total amount of indicator travel divided by two. Either way is fine unless you have a non flat top piston obviously. Piston shouldn’t be doing a whole lot of rocking at the top unless you are one of those guys that like to free-rev your **** to redline in the parking lot
Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Measure over the pin, as that part of the piston will not give.
I notice the piston can rock in any direction and the only place I get stable readings is the center of the piston. Just take one measurement there for each cylinder?

I did just that and got 0.006 - 0.007 across all the even cylinders, and the odd cylinders were 0.003 - 0.004, except #5 which was even lower at 0.002.

Is that kind of spread normal/reasonable?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:37 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I notice the piston can rock in any direction and the only place I get stable readings is the center of the piston. Just take one measurement there for each cylinder?

I did just that and got 0.006 - 0.007 across all the even cylinders, and the odd cylinders were 0.003 - 0.004, except #5 which was even lower at 0.002.

Is that kind of spread normal/reasonable?
Mine varied in a similar fashion. I hope it's normal
Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Did it again with two dial indicators at 12 and 6 o'clock positions and leveling out the piston before taking a measurement. This produced less variation.

Even side, all at 0.006 except #4 at 0.007
Odd side, all at 0.003 except #3 at 0.004

#3 and #4 share the same crank journal, right? That would explain why those two are both taller by a tad.

The way things are patterning out I could run a different gasket thickness left and right hand side. Anybody ever do that?

Last edited by QwkTrip; 01-22-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Are you using a bridge? The variances you have noted suggest that your method of measuring is suspect.

I would expect +/- .002 from lowest to highest in an OEM block.

Don't mix gaskets.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Yes, using a bridge (Proform). I have 2 dial indicators.

Ignore Post #5. It is junk data due to bad method. I was literally rocking the piston all the way from one extreme to the other. Abandoned this after growing my understanding.

Post #10 is much improved method and good data, I think. The variance per side is tight, just have different height on left bank vs. right bank. Another strong piece of evidence my method is good is the extra +0.001 stroke shows up on both pistons #3 and #4, which I think share the same journal, correct?

I have also measured at center of pistons and it delivered same conclusion as post #10.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:03 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Don't mix gaskets.
Why is that?

I can't see why the engine cares what gasket is there, it should just care what chamber geometry it produces. If I use same gasket then I will have almost 0.1 compression difference side to side and the left bank will always be more prone to detonation. So which is the bigger sin... different gasket thickness per bank, or different quench and compression ratio per bank?

Cometic has some catalog options of 0.036, 0.040, and 0.045 compressed thickness. They tell me they can make a 0.042 but can't do anything between 0.036 and 0.040 (Apparently that's not a stack height they can come up with). Running a 0.045 and 0.042 would even things up with 0.038 quench on both sides.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 01-22-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Yes 3 and 4 are on the same journal.

I would only run different gaskets if it was the last variable in the compression ratio equation, meaning you have measured everything else and it is exactly the same. That is unlikely in my opinion.

I wouldn’t do it but it’s not gonna be the end of the world if you do.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Why is that?

I can't see why the engine cares what gasket is there, it should just care what chamber geometry it produces. If I use same gasket then I will have almost 0.1 compression difference side to side and the left bank will always be more prone to detonation. So which is the bigger sin... different gasket thickness per bank, or different quench and compression ratio per bank?

Cometic has some catalog options of 0.036, 0.040, and 0.045 compressed thickness. They tell me they can make a 0.042 but can't do anything between 0.036 and 0.040 (Apparently that's not a stack height they can come up with). Running a 0.045 and 0.042 would even things up with 0.038 quench on both sides.
Sounds like you have it all figured out.......
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Sounds like you have it all figured out.......
It was a legitimate question and I can't understand the reason for that kind of response. I think I've made it pretty clear I'm not experienced with this. I ask a lot of questions for clarity and to seek understanding. Still interested in your answer.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 PM
QwkTrip
Instructor

Originally Posted by phipp85
I would only run different gaskets if it was the last variable in the compression ratio equation, meaning you have measured everything else and it is exactly the same. That is unlikely in my opinion.
I have cc the heads and they are all the same for all practical purposes (Mamo heads). Anything else that is really important to measure? I've been using nominal spec values for bore and stroke in my compression calcs. All I have is rulers, a basic cheap caliper, and 1" dial indicator.

Get notified of new replies

To How to measure quench

Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

I have cc the heads and they are all the same for all practical purposes (Mamo heads). Anything else that is really important to measure? I've been using nominal spec values for bore and stroke in my compression calcs. All I have is rulers, a basic cheap caliper, and 1" dial indicator.
The volume of the valve reliefs in the pistons, length of rods, how far the top ring is from the piston crown, stroke length. I’m looking at this from a compression ratio point of view. I want each hole to have the exact same compression ratio and that would trump quench distance in my opinion. You are mainly concerned with quench and running different thicknesses will get you what you are trying to achieve assuming your measurements are spot on. The only thing it’s gonna hurt is your wallet for buying custom gaskets lol. I don’t think you will gain anything either. I mean we are talking .003” here, carbon buildup on the piston will be more than that! As an extreme example if you had a pair of rods on the same journal(like 3 and 4) where the stroke was a half inch short and the rods were a half inch longer you would have pistons that came out of the hole the exact same amount as all the others. However your compression ratio would be way off due to that half inch of swept cylinder volume you lost.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

The volume of the valve reliefs in the pistons, length of rods, how far the top ring is from the piston crown, stroke length. I’m looking at this from a compression ratio point of view. I want each hole to have the exact same compression ratio and that would trump quench distance in my opinion. You are mainly concerned with quench and running different thicknesses will get you what you are trying to achieve assuming your measurements are spot on. The only thing it’s gonna hurt is your wallet for buying custom gaskets lol. I don’t think you will gain anything either. I mean we are talking .003” here, carbon buildup on the piston will be more than that! As an extreme example if you had a pair of rods on the same journal(like 3 and 4) where the stroke was a half inch short and the rods were a half inch longer you would have pistons that came out of the hole the exact same amount as all the others. However your compression ratio would be way off due to that half inch of swept cylinder volume you lost.
I like the point about the carbon buildup. I wouldn't over think it; the next post from the OP might be describing 16 different pushrod lengths (just a friendly poke). OP, it is good you are asking questions, keep it up, but listen to those with experience.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-23-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 AM
QwkTrip
Instructor

I want each hole to have the exact same compression ratio and that would trump quench distance in my opinion.
That sentence right there resonates. I'm going to take a little homework assignment from this. Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to measure quench