C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTB Flat Repair Policy

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Default NTB Flat Repair Policy

The weather was rather nice here today so I decided to get a slow leak fixed on my GS that's been in hibernation. I took the tire off and found a small screw in the middle of the tread. I took my tire to NTB to have them fix it, one guy was writing it up and another guy walked to the service counter and said it was there policy not to fix a run flat tire because they had no way of knowing how far I drove the car with no air in the tire. I explained to them I haven't driven the car for 7 weeks and I guess I picked up the screw the last time I drove it. The guy repeated their policy again, so I said I'd go to Walmart and buy a plug kit which is exactly what I did. I drove home, plugged the tire, and put it back on the car spending a grand total of 6.42.

Not only did NTB lose the revenue for the tire repair but I am going to get new tires at the beginning of next year's season, and they lost that revenue too. Their loss is someone else's gain.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by torchred_lt1
The weather was rather nice here today so I decided to get a slow leak fixed on my GS that's been in hibernation. I took the tire off and found a small screw in the middle of the tread. I took my tire to NTB to have them fix it, one guy was writing it up and another guy walked to the service counter and said it was there policy not to fix a run flat tire because they had no way of knowing how far I drove the car with no air in the tire. I explained to them I haven't driven the car for 7 weeks and I guess I picked up the screw the last time I drove it. The guy repeated their policy again, so I said I'd go to Walmart and buy a plug kit which is exactly what I did. I drove home, plugged the tire, and put it back on the car spending a grand total of 6.42.

Not only did NTB lose the revenue for the tire repair but I am going to get new tires at the beginning of next year's season, and they lost that revenue too. Their loss is someone else's gain.
That policy is probably caused by their insurance people, ...fix a run flat tire, the tire fails afterwards & the owner is involved in a accident...law suit
Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by 449er
That policy is probably caused by their insurance people, ...fix a run flat tire, the tire fails afterwards & the owner is involved in a accident...law suit
Yea, you're probably right. They probably been sued before, who knows.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I had a nail in one of my Michelin run flats (came on the car) and went to Firestone, they would not fix the tire. I went down the road about a mile and had a privet tire shop fix the tire. Simple, I pay you do what I ask you to do, put it in writing and I will sign it. I allow Firestone to do my alignment and nothing else. People do not tell me what I can do with my money, it's Green everywhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls1121:
astaggs (01-22-2018), Topdown12 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

My Discount Tire has never given me one ounce of trouble fixing my run flats ...that just weird.....

Dave
Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

The dealer charged me $77 to pull a screw out of my non-runflats and patch it from inside. No other tire store in the city has a machine capable of unmounting a rear GS tire, so no choice but to go to the dealer.

I tried to originally buy new tires from NTB, and they said they couldn't mount them. Strange.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
The dealer charged me $77 to pull a screw out of my non-runflats and patch it from inside. No other tire store in the city has a machine capable of unmounting a rear GS tire, so no choice but to go to the dealer.

I tried to originally buy new tires from NTB, and they said they couldn't mount them. Strange.
I had the tires on my '13 GS vert replaced at Costco - I assume there is one near you. And they took care not to scratch my chrome rims.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by Dcasole
My Discount Tire has never given me one ounce of trouble fixing my run flats ...that just weird.....

Dave
I thought so too. I understand the liability concerns but one can see the tire was not driven on. On 2 other corvettes I previously owned, I had a run flat tire on each one fixed at the same store. I guess they were looking to sell me a new tire or a set of tires, good luck with that one after this experience.

I wish we had a discount tire here. It would be easier next year when I replace the run craps.

Last edited by Cedar; 01-21-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by ByRiver

Last spring, I had this same NTB take the run craps off my OEM GS wheels and re-mount them on another set of wheels that I bought since they had better than 1/2 of the tread left. They did that without blinking an eye.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:57 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

I buy all of my tires from a locally owned shop (4 Wheels Parts Plus), not a chain store. They had no problem removing a screw from my original GY's on my 13 GS and patching the tire from inside. Nine months later when the GY's were worn out I purchased my Bridgestone's from them for a great price. They have the equipment to mount GS and Z06 rear tires and they do not scratch your wheels. Even though these are performance truck oriented guys they treat you right because they want repeat business whether you have a car or a truck. I know that I have purchased at least 10 sets of tires from them and they always beat everybody's price (Tire Rack included). Sometime this summer I will have them order a set of tires for the wife's 15 Camaro SS convertible. You just have to find and independent shop that you can trust. There are plenty of them out there.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Kind of lost on this one, since if you have a road hazards warranty on the tires, then its the shops choice to either patch it, or replace the tire for free under the road hazard warranty.

If you don't have a road hazard warranty on the tires, then most larger shops play this game to sell you another tire as full price instead.

So here, you go find a mom and pop tire shop that is not playing any games, and they will patch a RF tire, so long as the tire is punctured in a place and fashion on the tire that will allows patching instead.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
I buy all of my tires from a locally owned shop (4 Wheels Parts Plus), not a chain store. They had no problem removing a screw from my original GY's on my 13 GS and patching the tire from inside. Nine months later when the GY's were worn out I purchased my Bridgestone's from them for a great price. They have the equipment to mount GS and Z06 rear tires and they do not scratch your wheels. Even though these are performance truck oriented guys they treat you right because they want repeat business whether you have a car or a truck. I know that I have purchased at least 10 sets of tires from them and they always beat everybody's price (Tire Rack included). Sometime this summer I will have them order a set of tires for the wife's 15 Camaro SS convertible. You just have to find and independent shop that you can trust. There are plenty of them out there.
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do just that.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Couple years ago picked up a screw in a Bridgestone PP. Chevy store I'd bought the Z06 from sold me the tires.
They flat-out refused to repair it, claimed a repair compromises tire's Z rating & they would not accept liability.
Wouldn't listen to any counter argument the had me by the short hairs, knew I was set-up to buy a new tire.
Pissed, felt like I was mugged.

Replaced BPPs w/ Michelins couple years, later.
Picked up a damned sheet metal screw last Fall, knew dealer was out.

Desperate I called our only local Goodyear shop.
Lo' and behold they'd repair it, for $50. Yes.
Turns out they've a new Hunter machine which easily handles ultra-wide skins w/o damaging wheels.

While waiting told SR I don't care for GY tires, prefer Michelin.
He says they sell all brands & would be happy to 'compete for my business' this Spring when tires are scheduled to be replaced.

Try GY, store near me earned my business.
I'll have 'em replace a bad ballast while they have the car, too.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
Kind of lost on this one, since if you have a road hazards warranty on the tires, then its the shops choice to either patch it, or replace the tire for free under the road hazard warranty.

If you don't have a road hazard warranty on the tires, then most larger shops play this game to sell you another tire as full price instead.

So here, you go find a mom and pop tire shop that is not playing any games, and they will patch a RF tire, so long as the tire is punctured in a place and fashion on the tire that will allows patching instead.
Maybe I wasn't clear. When I replaced the wheels on my GS a year ago, My run craps had a lot of tread left, so I had my run craps transferred to my new wheels so I could wear them out before replacing them. The small screw that I found in my tire was right in the middle of the tread so I knew there wouldn't be a problem with patching which was the preferred method of repair I wanted.

I figured they were trying to sell me a tire so that's why I bought a plug kit at Walmart and fixed it myself saving about 70.00 that a stealership charged another forum member. For future tire problems or repairs, there are other tire shops in the bi-state area to choose from.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by Landru
Couple years ago picked up a screw in a Bridgestone PP. Chevy store I'd bought the Z06 from sold me the tires.
They flat-out refused to repair it, claimed a repair compromises tire's Z rating & they would not accept liability.
Wouldn't listen to any counter argument the had me by the short hairs, knew I was set-up to buy a new tire.
Pissed, felt like I was mugged.

Replaced BPPs w/ Michelins couple years, later.
Picked up a damned sheet metal screw last Fall, knew dealer was out.

Desperate I called our only local Goodyear shop.
Lo' and behold they'd repair it, for $50. Yes.
Turns out they've a new Hunter machine which easily handles ultra-wide skins w/o damaging wheels.

While waiting told SR I don't care for GY tires, prefer Michelin.
He says they sell all brands & would be happy to 'compete for my business' this Spring when tires are scheduled to be replaced.

Try GY, store near me earned my business.
I'll have 'em replace a bad ballast while they have the car, too.
We have a GY chain of stores around here that I probably could have went to for my repair but they're as high as the stealership in their pricing.

When I do my tire shopping next spring, I plan on going with Michelins and I'll ask about tire repair at that time, that's something to keep in mind, thank you.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:43 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

My local Firestone shop wouldn't fix a leaky tire on my Trooper. They said the tires were too old. Luckily, it was on the front and the Trooper has high ground clearance. So I used my Stop and Go flat repair kit and fixed it in about 20 minutes. I've used the kit twice, once on the Trooper and another on a motorcycle, and neither ever leaked.

The only issue with the 'vette is the likelihood of removing the wheel with a car that has no jack with it.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by torchred_lt1
We have a GY chain of stores around here that I probably could have went to for my repair but they're as high as the stealership in their pricing.
Really?
Bet it's due to being in a large metro area such as St.L.
Out here in the sticks closest city is 25K, tire shops have to be more competitive re pricing.

Had a great experience w/ NTB doing the labor replacing front discs/pads/pins on my '08 Z06. Supplying parts came to $550 vs. $850 dealer quoted. Very happy, so gave them my business on Michelins. Best price I found (w/o checking GY), locally.
Tires arrived, I showed-up to appointment eager for new skins.
Waited a few minutes & SM tells me their machine can't do my size tire. Sorry. huh.

When I do my tire shopping next spring, I plan on going with Michelins and I'll ask about tire repair at that time, that's something to keep in mind, thank you.
GY was quite honest stating up-front there're RFs they cannot fix, like all of us driving RFs know side-wall damage trashes a RF tire.
But screw I picked-up was dead center, same location as Bridgestone I'd taken to a greedy dealer, almost felt coerced into buying a new tire.
NOT good for dealer service departments, wherever they are.

I've a new sense of security owning my Z06 knowing there's a place I can go for brakes/tires/chassis/electrical who won't jerk me around.
And, I've a GMEPP.

Give GY a shot, do ask about their repair policy too.
GY stores, IIRC, are all franchises so stores policies may vary.
Can't hurt...might even save time, $ & potential grief. G/L

Get notified of new replies

To NTB Flat Repair Policy

Old 01-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by LowRyter
My local Firestone shop wouldn't fix a leaky tire on my Trooper. They said the tires were too old. Luckily, it was on the front and the Trooper has high ground clearance. So I used my Stop and Go flat repair kit and fixed it in about 20 minutes. I've used the kit twice, once on the Trooper and another on a motorcycle, and neither ever leaked.

The only issue with the 'vette is the likelihood of removing the wheel with a car that has no jack with it.
True, I agree with you. I was just lucky I was at home when I found the screw where I have a jack, stands and air tools to make tire removal easier on me.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Cedar
Pro

Originally Posted by Landru
Really?
Bet it's due to being in a large metro area such as St.L.
Out here in the sticks closest city is 25K, tire shops have to be more competitive re pricing.

Had a great experience w/ NTB doing the labor replacing front discs/pads/pins on my '08 Z06. Supplying parts came to $550 vs. $850 dealer quoted. Very happy, so gave them my business on Michelins. Best price I found (w/o checking GY), locally.
Tires arrived, I showed-up to appointment eager for new skins.
Waited a few minutes & SM tells me their machine can't do my size tire. Sorry. huh.

GY was quite honest stating up-front there're RFs they cannot fix, like all of us driving RFs know side-wall damage trashes a RF tire.
But screw I picked-up was dead center, same location as Bridgestone I'd taken to a greedy dealer, almost felt coerced into buying a new tire.
NOT good for dealer service departments, wherever they are.

I've a new sense of security owning my Z06 knowing there's a place I can go for brakes/tires/chassis/electrical who won't jerk me around.
And, I've a GMEPP.

Give GY a shot, do ask about their repair policy too.
GY stores, IIRC, are all franchises so stores policies may vary.
Can't hurt...might even save time, $ & potential grief. G/L
The screw location on mine was dead center also. My tire leaked about 5 lbs. a week so I thought I'd address it since the weather was nice here. I just might do that the next time I have a situation like this, it can't hurt.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:11 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That policy is them hoping that you'll buy a new tire from them.

Quick Reply: NTB Flat Repair Policy