C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System, and Brake Lights?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM
KevDude
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Service Active Handling System, and Brake Lights?

My Service Active Handling System light will come on after around 5 miles of driving for no apparent reason. Also, my Brake lights will stay lit, until I push the pedal, then they go out. They are working opposite of what they are supposed to do. I charged my battery fully today, and it is still doing it. My negative battery clamp is loose enough so I can move the clamp on the post, but it is still very tight. I have a new clamp to put on it, so may try that tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by KevDude
My Service Active Handling System light will come on after around 5 miles of driving for no apparent reason. Also, my Brake lights will stay lit, until I push the pedal, then they go out. They are working opposite of what they are supposed to do. I charged my battery fully today, and it is still doing it. My negative battery clamp is loose enough so I can move the clamp on the post, but it is still very tight. I have a new clamp to put on it, so may try that tomorrow.
Pull codes with a Tech 2 or the like for a definitive diagnosis.

However, if I had to guess, I'd suspect the signal from your brake pedal position sensor mounted above the brake pedal. The sensor signal goes through the big blue connectors on the BCM in the passenger footwell. Unplug the connectors, drench the terminals in electrical contact cleaner, and reconnect. See if the problem goes away.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

As above, There is a code stored, pull it. Anything else is just guessing
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM
KevDude
Racer

There was no codes stored that I pulled with my foxwell scanner? Has anyone had the issue with brake lights working in reverse? I was hoping it was my battery, but the battery seems to be OK, and I keep it topped up with my Noco trickle charger.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by KevDude
There was no codes stored that I pulled with my foxwell scanner? Has anyone had the issue with brake lights working in reverse? I was hoping it was my battery, but the battery seems to be OK, and I keep it topped up with my Noco trickle charger.
Your A/H code(s) are in the EBCM, which will be invisible to a generic code reader. You need a Tech 2 or higher-end reader than can retrieve Corvette ABS codes.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Pull codes with a Tech 2 or the like for a definitive diagnosis.

However, if I had to guess, I'd suspect the signal from your brake pedal position sensor mounted above the brake pedal. The sensor signal goes through the big blue connectors on the BCM in the passenger footwell. Unplug the connectors, drench the terminals in electrical contact cleaner, and reconnect. See if the problem goes away.
Another vote for the big blue connectors in the passenger footwell. Brake lights always on, Service Active Handling, ABS Brake Warning, etc. Unplug, clean terminals and reconnect. Problem solved.

All I could think of was how much is this gonna cost?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:12 PM
KevDude
Racer

I pulled my battery and found out it was from 10/13/2011. I bought the car in 2016. Maybe the battery is giving up. could that possibly cause these gremlins? Every so often the abs light comes on and off, but after reading here, that is relatively common. I also cut off the old broken negative battery clamp and purchased an upgrade to put on. This should keep clamp tighter, which may help. I will get a new battery this week and install by next. Too much snow on the ground here in Colorado to have to rush this. I did pull the blue connectors after removing the battery and reseated them. Maybe that will help too. Thanks for the answer on my generic code reader. Does Oreilly's or Autozone use the type that could read these codes, or is it off to the Stealership?

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Yep, need a tech II, since it sounds like the brake pedal sensor needs to be re-calibrate as well.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 PM
KevDude
Racer

update: I changed out my battery for a new one, and redid my negative battery cable. I did reseat the blue cables, and the error message has not come back so far. I am thinking it was my battery and/or looser battery cable.

Anything, thanks for the help all.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started having this issue. Service AHS comes on after 1 or 2 miles of driving sometimes as soon as pull it out the garage. My brakes lights dont work at all. i have too smash the crap out of the pedal for them to work at stop lights but no brake lights if I press them normal. I hope cleaning these plugs solves the issue.

Last edited by D.Guerra; 04-09-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Jwells740
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Guerra
I just started having this issue. Service AHS comes on after 1 or 2 miles of driving sometimes as soon as pull it out the garage. My brakes lights dont work at all. i have too smash the crap out of the pedal for them to work at stop lights but no brake lights if I press them normal. I hope cleaning these plugs solves the issue.

Great post! Dealership said BCM was bad.. it was nothing more than the two blue connectors needing some cleaning/dielectric grease and haven't had any of the error codes since.

Last edited by Jwells740; 04-27-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling System, and Brake Lights?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System, and Brake Lights?