Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backed into my front bumper...

Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Backed into my front bumper...

So a family member backed there truck into my front end just enough for there tow hitch to go into my front bumper... I will attach a photo below, any advice on how to get this fixed, where I could find these parts online, or just hot to go about handling this in general would be much appreciated. I do not intend on leaving my Corvette in this state for hopefully much longer..
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Felix
So a family member backed there truck into my front end just enough for there tow hitch to go into my front bumper... I will attach a photo below, any advice on how to get this fixed, where I could find these parts online, or just hot to go about handling this in general would be much appreciated. I do not intend on leaving my Corvette in this state for hopefully much longer..
What state do you live in?
You can always move to Texas.

That is not something you can repair yourself. Just need to find a good body shop.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-20-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
What state do you live in?
You can always move to Texas.

That is not something you can repair yourself. Just need to find a good body shop.
Hilarious.. But any idea what it might cost me?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Too bad it didn’t just hit the grille, as it would’ve been an easy and cheap fix... and you can replace it w/Z06 grille if that’s something that you like. The bumper will be a little more involved as it will require some body work, but since you have to remove it to replace the grille, it’ll be a little easier to repair and paint. Replacing the bumper is another option, but more costly.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I can't tell from the photo whether the nose is cracked anywhere, but it doesn't look like it. If that damage is just surface and paint blemishes, the nose comes off very easily, and can easily be repaired and repainted for not a lot of money. It looks like all it needs is some sanding, perhaps a tiny amount of SMC panel filler, and a respray.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can't tell from the photo whether the nose is cracked anywhere, but it doesn't look like it. If that damage is just surface and paint blemishes, the nose comes off very easily, and can easily be repaired and repainted for not a lot of money. It looks like all it needs is some sanding, perhaps a tiny amount of SMC panel filler, and a respray.
From the photo alone it's very difficult to tell exactly what the damage is, or if I am just seeing dirt or paint transfer that can be removed easily. In any case, a good body shop can deal with minor fascia damage pretty easily.

Good luck!

PS: I once was rear-ended in a Chrysler Concorde by an SUV that bounced my car about twenty feet down the road and left a huge black smudge from its plastic front bumper on my rear fascia At first it looked like major damage, but a little tooth paste on a damp cloth (poor man's rubbing compound) removed all the smudge, and the only thing needing replacement or repair was a chrome strip: $70. The underlying structure turned out to be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Derek Felix (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Easy fix......disown that family member.
The following users liked this post:
Derek Felix (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:34 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Hilarious.. But any idea what it might cost me?
Removal of front bumper labor - .5 hours
Removal of front grill from bumper and install new front grill - .5 hours

Cost of replacement grill. It looks as if you have a 1LT, so no front cameras in the grill.
Cost of grill around $250 plus or minus depending where you buy it.

Fixing and painting bumper off of car (paint/clearcoat/labor) - guessing $350.00

Install repaired bumper - .5 hours

Body shop labor rate assuming $120/hour

So $250 + $350 + $180 = $780

My estimate what a body shop may charge you......gives a general idea of cost.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by c54u
Removal of front bumper labor - .5 hours
Removal of front grill from bumper and install new front grill - .5 hours

Cost of replacement grill. It looks as if you have a 1LT, so no front cameras in the grill.
Cost of grill around $250 plus or minus depending where you buy it.

Fixing and painting bumper off of car (paint/clearcoat/labor) - guessing $350.00

Install repaired bumper - .5 hours

Body shop labor rate assuming $120/hour

So $250 + $350 + $180 = $780

My estimate what a body shop may charge you......gives a general idea of cost.
Extremely helpful man!!! Not too bad. I don’t have the front camera but I do have the 2LT, thanks though man!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Extremely helpful man!!! Not too bad. I don’t have the front camera but I do have the 2LT, thanks though man!
My experience with other cars with grille and similar bumper damage is that I have never gotten out of body shop for less than $2000. If your deductible is lower, you might want to go ahead and file on insurance.
A body shop can give you an estimate even if you do not file on insurance.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-21-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

That sucks.
I think it's illegal in some states to have your Hitch in the receiver if not in the process of towing a trailer. Reason is it causes a lot more damage.
Hope you can get it back to new soon and for low cost.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
That sucks.
I think it's illegal in some states to have your Hitch in the receiver if not in the process of towing a trailer. Reason is it causes a lot more damage.
Hope you can get it back to new soon and for low cost.
I don't know about the legality, but I can tell you a hitch can do a huge $ amount of damage!

Several years ago, a guy in a huge pickup (with a hitch that stuck out a good foot) backed into my Z06. There wasn't much visible but a small hole punched into the front bumper, headlight lens cracked, and the fog light was displaced. Or so I thought upon first inspection.

Turned out that he hit it hard enough to drive it backwards up over the curb, and do frame damage from where the hitch hit the frame (which turns out was a good thing, otherwise he would have destroyed the engine which may or may not have totaled the car due to $25,000 crate engine cost).

As it was, it was over $10,000 damage with very little actually visible.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Mike481
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I stoped by a shop yesterday to look at a scratch on my front bumper. They quoted me $800-$1000 just to remove, repair, paint, and reinstall. That was with no parts needing replaced.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Get a quote from a different shop. No need to remove to repair and respray/blend a simple scratch.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The front fascia needs to be replaced. Even your insurance company will tell you that. I went through similar things with my 97 C5 that had 2 different incidents like this requiring replacement of the fascia. A third incident was my fault and I decided to repair the fascia which the body shop said they could do but didn't recommend it. The reason they don't recommend it is the fascia loses some of its ability to flex in the area of the repair which can lead to other problems down the road. Remember there is a reason why you want the fascia to be flexible.

I suspect the cost of repairing the old fascia will offset some of the purchase cost of a new fascia.

Bill
Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Sure, if there are cracks it should be replaced. However, the OP has not answered any of our questions about the type of damage. The poor-quality pictures look like little more than surface paint damage, which, if so, could be either polished, wet-sanded, or worst-case, resprayed.

It boggles my mind when someone comes here asking for advice and help and then doesn't even bother to provide additional information.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-22-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm going to guess double the estimate provided by one forum member. About $1500, paint alone is very expensive and to repair fiberglass is expensive too. The family member can cough up the money or go through their insurance. (unless its your family member then you pay either way).

Good luck with it, keep us posted on the costs of having it done vs you doing the work.

Get notified of new replies

To Backed into my front bumper...

Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I had the clearcoat start peeling on my 08 rear bumper no damage was $800.00 to repair , taking the bumper off sanding painting and clearcoat. looked great when done
Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sure, if there are cracks it should be replaced. However, the OP has not answered any of our questions about the type of damage. The poor-quality pictures look like little more than surface paint damage, which, if so, could be either polished, wet-sanded, or worst-case, resprayed.

It boggles my mind when someone comes here asking for advice and help and then doesn't even bother to provide additional information.
Sorry man, had a busy weekend however the bumper itself does have a minor crack. I am thinking that I will have to live with that damage, have them do the best they can with it but fully replace the grill just for the sake of cost. Unfortunately I do not have $1500 to put into a bumper at the moment but I do see replacing the grill and a little touch up more realistic for my budget.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Derek Felix
Advanced

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I'm going to guess double the estimate provided by one forum member. About $1500, paint alone is very expensive and to repair fiberglass is expensive too. The family member can cough up the money or go through their insurance. (unless its your family member then you pay either way).

Good luck with it, keep us posted on the costs of having it done vs you doing the work.
Thanks man, unfortunately while it was my little sister that backed into it, I am technically the bread winner in the house so it'll be coming out of my pocket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backed into my front bumper...