C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

TPMS help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default TPMS help!!!

New sponsors on all four wheels. Trying to get DIC to go into relearn mode with no joy.

Fire up car and gof the Service Tire Monitor System and clashing warming light. Toggled to Ifo screen then Tire Pressure screen (no pressures displayed) then pressed and held Select button for at least 10 seconds and got no horn beep. Car won’t go into relearn mode.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
New sponsors on all four wheels. Trying to get DIC to go into relearn mode with no joy.

Fire up car and gof the Service Tire Monitor System and clashing warming light. Toggled to Ifo screen then Tire Pressure screen (no pressures displayed) then pressed and held Select button for at least 10 seconds and got no horn beep. Car won’t go into relearn mode.

Thoughts?
Take the car out for a drive. When I swap between my street wheels and my track wheels I just drive the car and it relearns the sensors. Usually only takes a couple of miles but one time took a half a day. Go some place where you can drive at 50 mph for a while without stopping.

Bill
Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yes they will relearn. Just drive it some.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

What the two guys above say. That's what I do. Works every time.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:19 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

+4 sometimes it relearns very quick other times a good long drive will do it.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:38 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

+5 I mine was less than a 1/2 mile. I started driving and came to a stop light and they were already reading.. I figured it was going to take a lot longer..
Old 01-22-2018, 06:49 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Yep the days of need a reset tool for the TPMS are gone, just put the wheels on any corner and go for a drive, job done.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by hcvone
Yep the days of need a reset tool for the TPMS are gone, just put the wheels on any corner and go for a drive, job done.
Problem solved.

The tire shop had programmed the RFID code in the sensors to a C6, instead of C7. Once the sensors were re-coded to C7, and the DIC was put into TPMS learn mode, the sensors paired immediately. (the car honks one time as each sensor pairs to the car). Had tire pressures showing while still in the service bay..
The following users liked this post:
DavidC83 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
Problem solved.

The tire shop had programmed the RFID code in the sensors to a C6, instead of C7. Once the sensors were re-coded to C7, and the DIC was put into TPMS learn mode, the sensors paired immediately. (the car honks one time as each sensor pairs to the car). Had tire pressures showing while still in the service bay..
Oooooohhhhh - you got some generic sensors!!!

Let us know how those work out. I much prefer the OE sensors that are designed specifically for our C7 Vettes - they have a centrifugal sensor in them to determine the direction of rotation in order to help determine which side they're on during automatic pairing, and in addition to pressure they send the temperature to the TPMS module so the temp range can be displayed on the DIC.

Those generic sensors may transmit that data to the TPMS as well - is your DIC displaying the temperature range like our OE C7 specific sensors do below??

Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Let us know how those work out. I much prefer the OE sensors that are designed specifically for our C7 Vettes - they have a centrifugal sensor in them to determine the direction of rotation in order to help determine which side they're on during automatic pairing, and in addition to pressure they send the temperature to the TPMS module so the temp range can be displayed on the DIC.

Those generic sensors may transmit that data to the TPMS as well - is your DIC displaying the temperature range like our OE C7 specific sensors do below??

It is, but the tires aren't likely to see any "hot" range any time soon and definitely no “cold”, so there's no way to determine if they are really warm, or just showing "warm".

Last edited by MacRoadie; 01-23-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Learned a long time ago the OEM sensors are the best ones to use from a reliability standpoint. Don't know who makes them but they tend to last much longer than the crap you can get at auto parts stores or some tire shops.

Bill
Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Learned a long time ago the OEM sensors are the best ones to use from a reliability standpoint. Don't know who makes them but they tend to last much longer than the crap you can get at auto partzs stores or some tire shops.

Bill
Absolutely, totally, 100%!!!!

Our C7 sensors are made by Schrader, as all the C6 and C5 sensors have been.

You may be able to make out the part# in the picture of C7 sensors below - GM part#13598775. Our C7 sensors have some special features, one of which is the centrifugal sensing feature that sends the TPMS direction of rotation so the TPMS can tell which side of the car the wheel is on. I'm not sure generic sensors will do all the things necessary to do the automatic relearn procedure. As MacRoadie said, the tire shop had to use a TPMS tool to do the relearn procedures and get the sensors logged into the TPMS module memory. After having used magnets on the C5 and a TPMS tool for more than 10 years with my C6 Vettes, I'm glad when I swap on different sets of wheels for street or track that with the C7 I just put them on, drive, and the new set of sensors automatically log into the TPMS.

And what allows that automatic procedure to work are the OE sensors - they are the ones to use!!

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob

Old 12-08-2018, 01:31 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Found GM part# 13598775 by acdelco in rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...)+sensor,12036

GM:
Amazon Amazon
(All parts included? seems to be missing one part?)

Cheaper by about 10 bucks vs GM? Which one would you go with?

Last edited by okaythen; 12-10-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

And...... OEM sensors are reasonably priced. Not like the C5 that we’re like $100 a corner.

Id not bother with anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS help!!!

Quick Reply: TPMS help!!!