Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ears sore from new helmet -- will that break in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ears sore from new helmet -- will that break in?

My new Simpson Carbon Devil Ray is causing my ears some pain/soreness after 15-20 minutes of wear. They turn bright red and are really being smashed into the cheek pads. I do wear a headsock, FWIW.

When I put the thinner cheek pads in (25 vs 20mm), the pain is gone, but then the fit of the helmet gets sloppy: I can rotate the helmet too easily and the pads barely even touch my cheeks.

Should I expect the cheek pads to crush and break-in from wear, or is this a sign the helmet is too small? Everything else seems to fit well, especially the all-important crown area, and I even called Simpson to ask. They claim it will break in but by then it would be used/non-returnable if they're wrong. I asked if this is a sign the helmet is too small, and they said no.

For the record, my older Arai doesn't have this problem but it's obviously well-worn and probably broken in. I don't remember having sore ears from it but my memory from back then isn't that good.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Too small ... I do not believe it will break in. Put a pair of shoes on that are a 1/2 size too small and try to break them in ... ain't going to happen.

You may get used to it but that is a different thing I think.

If returnable now I would definitely do that and try again.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM
dparm
Racer

Originally Posted by rbl
Too small ... I do not believe it will break in. Put a pair of shoes on that are a 1/2 size too small and try to break them in ... ain't going to happen.

You may get used to it but that is a different thing I think.

If returnable now I would definitely do that and try again.

I forgot to mention that I had originally bought a larger size but the fit was sloppy, so I returned it and went down a size. I was kinda borderline to begin with (right at the small end of XL, or the large end of L).
Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have found that it is imperative to try on many helmets to feel which ones are most comfortable and fit properly. For me, Simpsons pushed too hard on my forehead as did one other helmet I owned.

Not all shells and internal foam are shaped the same on all brands, and not all of our heads are shaped the same. It is best to try on several brands and models. You will know when you get the right fit. For me the best fit is Zamp, but that does not mean it will work well for you.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
dparm
Racer

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have found that it is imperative to try on many helmets to feel which ones are most comfortable and fit properly. For me, Simpsons pushed too hard on my forehead as did one other helmet I owned.

Not all shells and internal foam are shaped the same on all brands, and not all of our heads are shaped the same. It is best to try on several brands and models. You will know when you get the right fit. For me the best fit is Zamp, but that does not mean it will work well for you.

Yep, understood. That's why I said the fitment is fine everywhere else. Shame, it's a really nice helmet.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would not argue the size is too small, but rather the shape is not correct for your head. I used to have a Simpson that gave me headaches. Then I went and tried on a bunch at a local store and settled on a Bell because the fit was best.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:19 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^2 .. I got the best fit with a Bell also
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM
dparm
Racer

Yep, understood that helmet shells and the interior padding are different shapes between the different manufacturers. As I said, the overall fitment of the helmet is good everywhere else. It passes all of the usual fitment tests, including the most critical one around the crown.

I was just asking how much break-in I can expect from the pads around the ears, if any.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
My new Simpson Carbon Devil Ray is causing my ears some pain/soreness after 15-20 minutes of wear. They turn bright red and are really being smashed into the cheek pads. I do wear a headsock, FWIW.

When I put the thinner cheek pads in (25 vs 20mm), the pain is gone, but then the fit of the helmet gets sloppy: I can rotate the helmet too easily and the pads barely even touch my cheeks.
If you really want this helmet to work, you might be able to "customize" the thicker cheek pads and remove a bit of material where it's hurting your ears. Don't go thinner than the thinner pads, but make a "hybrid" version.

Otherwise, try on different brands of helmets and find one that's shaped more like your own head.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
If you really want this helmet to work, you might be able to "customize" the thicker cheek pads and remove a bit of material where it's hurting your ears. Don't go thinner than the thinner pads, but make a "hybrid" version.

I agree. I have slightly modded helmet padding in the past when I start feeling pressure after prolonged wearing of the helmet.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

They turn bright red and are really being smashed into the cheek pads..
Ear bright red...maybe you not getting a "point by?"

Is there any reason you can't try a 20mm pad on left and 25 on right? 5mm is not going to make the fit assymetric.

Have you tried a thicker headsock with 20mm pads?

I had a devil ray. Great helmet. I just don't have fit problems. I 've been happy with
devil ray
stilo
gforce
stand 21
bell

I think with a bit of thought you can get anything to fit but sure if you just pick 3 off the shelf 1 will feel better than the others.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Should I expect the cheek pads to crush and break-in from wear, or is this a sign the helmet is too small? Everything else seems to fit well, especially the all-important crown area, and I even called Simpson to ask. They claim it will break in but by then it would be used/non-returnable if they're wrong. I asked if this is a sign the helmet is too small, and they said no.

For the record, my older Arai doesn't have this problem but it's obviously well-worn and probably broken in. I don't remember having sore ears from it but my memory from back then isn't that good.
Have you checked with Simpson to see if they have a cheek pad with a thickness between the two you have tried?

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Ears sore from new helmet -- will that break in?

Quick Reply: Ears sore from new helmet -- will that break in?