C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Calling 67 experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Calling 67 experts

I've asked and have received many responses all excellent which has lead to more investigation as to what really happened to my 67 Vette originally. To recap the car was white in 87 when I got it, the trim tag also lists as white. When I got it clearly the previous owner cared nothing about originality based on the condition, it was rough, so it is just not likely they would have changed the tags, plus so far those that have looked at it agree the tags seem to have everything right, just not the original color. Look at all the attached photos; this car from the 1st painting was marina blue, but clearly the white, on top, was a quality paint job and looks very factory, if white came after leaving the factory, it was stripped to bare fiberglas well covered including all the overspray. When I got it and not liking white I had it painted yellow, and plan to keep it that way, I don't care to hide that and will not change the VIN tag. What is puzzling is the car was white and now I'm going through a frame off restoration I've found that the color under the white, and the yellow was marina blue. This weekend I took a bunch of new photos and followed the comments others had told me to check, interestingly was the underside of the air vents, which were marina blue (with white overspray) and inside the headlight buckets is blue (with white on top). The cockpit floor is mostly blue but has white on top. I was asked about the bird cage, which I found was mostly white, except the area around the vin tags is black, but the top of the cage (windshield mount) is the (usual/ugly) green seen on so many other cages. If you follow the history of this question I've attached many photos. So my question is could this car, which was ordered and delivered to Major Chev. Queens, have been generically ordered as blue, then got a rush change to white in time for the factory to change including the trim tag, but it is clear this car's 1st factory paint was marina blue. I'm looking for some expert to let me know if the factory would have painted a car twice, using different colors. If I had to swear on anything I would think this car was originally marina blue, then switched to white. If it was changed to white years after the factory it had to be done in late 70's, then how would the trim tag have been changed? Calling all experts and I'm just looking for answers, not trying to pull anything on anyone
Attached Images        
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Interesting. Not sure if it’s your pictures or my computer but what you are calling Marina Blue, doesn’t look like Marina blue to me.

Ed
Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Interesting. Not sure if it’s your pictures or my computer but what you are calling Marina Blue, doesn’t look like Marina blue to me.

Ed
Sure looks like Elkhart Blue to me. Too gray to be Lynndale (I owned a lynndale car).

Last edited by 93RubyRedCoupe; 01-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

this image looks like a splice, maybe the car was wrecked and repaired at one time, was not uncommon to cut them in half and splice the them back together.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

+ 1 on the Lyndale Blue...
Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by midyear
this image looks like a splice, maybe the car was wrecked and repaired at one time, was not uncommon to cut them in half and splice the them back together.

That was my guess as well.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Default I have a similar situation

My '67 is Goodwood Green (repaint) and I believe is the original color as the tag says Green. I have pictures of the repainted before and after in 2008 along with pictures of the car sanded, prior to spray.
The car had a few bubbles on the driver side fenders next to the hood and the windshield. I popped the bubbles and there was blue paint below the repainted green. There is no evidense of blue in the sanded car photos.
I was thinking maybe the fender had been replaced. There was no mention of that when I bought the car last year. I've inspected the bird cage and I don't recall seeing any blue.
My car is an A.O. Smith body number 1060. Is yours an early Smith car?
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

According to the trim tag, it is an A.O. Smith built car. It would be great to get some input from someone who worked there during this time frame to get their opinion. Only guessing here, but what about a blueish-tinged primer?
Phil
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Not primer.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Another for a splice ,the original primer was red oxide. If you strip the car, you might be able to tell if both halves are 67 by the color of the glass
Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by emdoller

Ed
As I mentioned and had you seen the previous posts would have been helpful. But to any born skeptics maybe this helps, here's a photo taken in bright light; the blue (call it what you want) under the white, with my yellow on top. The 2 factory colors then my respray yellow. Besides, I'm curious why would I make that up? what other blue was there in 67?
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrekfan1
As I mentioned and had you seen the previous posts would have been helpful. But to any born skeptics maybe this helps, here's a photo taken in bright light; the blue (call it what you want) under the white, with my yellow on top. The 2 factory colors then my respray yellow. Besides, I'm curious why would I make that up? what other blue was there in 67?
There was Marina Blue, Elkhart Blue and Lynndale Blue.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
Sure looks like Elkhart Blue to me. Too gray to be Lynndale (I owned a lynndale car).
Thanks for the input but there is no question if you see it up close and good light it is marina. I posted one of my previous photos and have more and it is clearly marina, no grey at all or see my previous posts, I have several photos that were in the previous post that are clearly marina blue
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 3.31.43 PM.png
Views: 1004
Size:  775.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0834 copy.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  317.7 KB
Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
There was Marina Blue, Elkhart Blue and Lynndale Blue.
Yep you are right, this attached is the best I have and it is clearly marina, this was under the weather striping of the rear deck lid, some of the whit pulled off leaving the blue and you can see the yellow was taped. I still am trying to learn the original question, could the factory have painted it initially blue (who cares which color) then get a rush order, probably from the same dealer that originally ordered it or allowed it to be switched for any reason and then repaint. The trim tag has white, but without question under the white over the entire painted parts of the car, and on the back sides of the vents and the headlight buckets is blue under white.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here is my gut feeling regarding all of this based on my experience of being in the new car sales business in the lat 60s/early 70s. If the car was a SOLD order if the factory made a mistake painting the car the wrong color and it was caught early enough they would have run it back through the paint process to correct this. If it was a car built for stock they simply would have created a corrected trim tag for it and shipped it in the blue color.

In your case Since the birdcage is white over blue I think it is a pretty sure bet that your car was repainted before it left the factory based on your information regarding the cars history as no one would have taken the car that far "down" to do the repaint after it left the factory.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

It would be interesting to know if the VIN on the frame matches the pic posted. The car does seem to have an interesting history. It would not surprise me if a blue car was used to repair damaged areas or if the car had VIN #s swapped to be rebuild who know what which could be scary.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeM
That was my guess as well.
I had thought the same thing, but the blue (pick which one) is on both parts, and the headlight buckets, the rear compartment, the door jams, the floors both sides, under the weather striping...do I need to go on? I did look deeper for possible damages, but this is the only area

Get notified of new replies

To Calling 67 experts

Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

The new picture color looks different. I compared the two in my iMac and have put the RGB numbers in that my computer measures. Didn't really need to do that as they look different enough to my naked eye.

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to figure out?

Ed

Old 01-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Wrekfan1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Here is my gut feeling regarding all of this based on my experience of being in the new car sales business in the lat 60s/early 70s. If the car was a SOLD order if the factory made a mistake painting the car the wrong color and it was caught early enough they would have run it back through the paint process to correct this. If it was a car built for stock they simply would have created a corrected trim tag for it and shipped it in the blue color.

In your case Since the birdcage is white over blue I think it is a pretty sure bet that your car was repainted before it left the factory based on your information regarding the cars history as no one would have taken the car that far "down" to do the repaint after it left the factory.
You have the best comment yet, and I think this is what happened, because it was still apart when both colors were applied. So much is blue (I don't care which one, but I'm here and can see it is marina) and there is substantial white over top including most of the front part of the floor and the birdcage, which has the standard yuck green metal paint at the top of the cage around windshield. I've heard of switches like this, I had a friend that got a change order for a dealer generic car that had all the same accessories. Again thanks, until something else comes up I'm sticking with this.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:38 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have seen cars that were painted the wrong color in the first pass through the booth. When they came out, the wrong color was discovered and the car was sent back through for a color change. About the only way the color change would happen was if the new color was not too many shades off the first color. Otherwise, the bill was changed and the car was sent out for a stock order.

I don't know if GM did it this way but I know we did on very rare occasions. So, I am not a '67 expert but since you said you had the blue on glued on parts all over the car, it might appear that is what happened. If only on the body, behind the doors, you've been clipped!

Last edited by MikeM; 01-23-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Calling 67 experts