C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Coupe rear blower control problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Gettysburg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 64 Coupe rear blower control problem

The pull cable for the rear blower motor would not budge.
Unhooked cable from blower motor arm.
Blower motor arm moves easily and freely (blower works)
Cable slides in and out of cable housing (easily and freely)

To connect cable to motor arm is a straight shot, no angles or curves.
However, when cable is re-connected to the arm, the cable will not budge.
Anyone ever experience this?

Signed,

Perplexed
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Only possibility I can think of is clamp holding cable housing is loose or missing, and I'm not sure even that would make it not move at all. Something's got to be getting in a bind somewhere.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Pull harder
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Your cable is frozen up with rust and crud in its housing, which happens since the cable is about 12' long and runs along the cab floor next to the door sill hump. The cable on my 64 was just the same when I got my coupe. I pulled the cable assembly, which is a bit of a task, but no harder than most other under dash jobs. Use the AIM to learn how the cable assembly routed, and chase it all out. You have to remove the left rear quarter panel, the front kick panel, and the fan cover. Lift the carpet to remove the shield that the assembly runs behind. I hanged my assembly up from a pole in my yard, and dripped Kroil and PB Blaster down the cable, into the housing, and let it hang there until the lubricant finally dripped out the bottom end. Occasionally I took the cable down and pulled a little to break the thing loose. It took a few days to break down the crud build-up, but it worked. Now my cable works like new. Yours will too. There is no other option other than to skip ever trying to use your fan again.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Your cable is frozen up with rust and crud in its housing, which happens since the cable is about 12' long and runs along the cab floor next to the door sill hump. The cable on my 64 was just the same when I got my coupe. I pulled the cable assembly, which is a bit of a task, but no harder than most other under dash jobs. Use the AIM to learn how the cable assembly routed, and chase it all out. You have to remove the left rear quarter panel, the front kick panel, and the fan cover. Lift the carpet to remove the shield that the assembly runs behind. I hanged my assembly up from a pole in my yard, and dripped Kroil and PB Blaster down the cable, into the housing, and let it hang there until the lubricant finally dripped out the bottom end. Occasionally I took the cable down and pulled a little to break the thing loose. It took a few days to break down the crud build-up, but it worked. Now my cable works like new. Yours will too. There is no other option other than to skip ever trying to use your fan again.
Why does the cable slide freely when he disconnects it at the fan motor?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Gettysburg
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Why does the cable slide freely when he disconnects it at the fan motor?
That’s the puzzling part. With the cable disconnected from the fan motor, it moves freely. It is not corroded or rusted in the cable housing. Moves as a new cable would. Not hat I need to use the blower, but since it’s there, I want it to function as it should.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I did not clearly understand. Disregard all I wrote. If the switch moves freely, and the cable moves freely when detached, then its a pure conundrum with no answer. All I know is you want that fan to work because it is a beautiful and expensive pieces of equipment, like the original power antenna on 65,66 cars. So expensive that Chevy dropped it after just two years, just like the power stick. As SW said, it is a joy to use, cheap air-conditioning. Dont give up on it.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

In the other thread regarding '65 rear blowers, I mentioned that it works nicely on the #2 position and I see no need to change that setting; it automatically turns off when the front blower is activated. Having said that, the other reason I don't fiddle with it unnecessarily is because the action is not as smooth as I'd like - a little bit on the sticky side - and one gets the feeling that if you keep pushing and pulling the **** too much, bad things could happen.

However, I stand by my advice to pull harder
Old 01-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Why not put the cable on and still manully turn on the blower in the back, see if the cable comes out under the dash, probably the combined resistance of the cable and the switch feels like it doesn't budge when pulling from the dash, probably more force is needed. If that isn't it I don't see how it's possible what you describe

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-23-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:42 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

If you're going to pull harder I would recommend that you disconnect the cable from under the dash. The hanger is just pot metal and is quite brittle. It can break if you pull too hard. Yes, mine cracked.

Does the loop at the end of the cable fit easily over the pin on the blower motor arm? Or, do you have to twist it 90 degrees to slide it over the pin? I had to twist mine with a pair of pliers to get it to fit. This did make the wire cable stiffer and more difficult to move but not to the point where I couldn't move it. At this point, just guessing.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

My guess is rear vent not assembled correctly. Cable pushed in blower vent door should be closed, cable out vent door open. Post a photo of your blower housing showing the door arm and switch mount. If the vent was disassembled completely in the past and the vent door installed incorrectly maybe that is the issue.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaminmopar
My guess is rear vent not assembled correctly. Cable pushed in blower vent door should be closed, cable out vent door open. Post a photo of your blower housing showing the door arm and switch mount. If the vent was disassembled completely in the past and the vent door installed incorrectly maybe that is the issue.
Actually, this is possible!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Gettysburg
Instructor

As requested, pic of blower motor assembly

Last edited by Gettysburg; 01-23-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-16-2018, 06:09 PM
stjarvis
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After dealing with the one in my '64 my guess would be that the screw on the blower housing is pinching the cable.

Hopefully you've solved your issue. I looked at mine this morning and it would tough to pinch the cable as the bracket is fixed. I'd go with GGVert's response about loose cable. The picture looks like my setup but it doesn't quite show the cable connected to the fan housing.

Last edited by stjarvis; 10-17-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Review

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Coupe rear blower control problem

Quick Reply: 64 Coupe rear blower control problem