C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restomod Guys - Power Door Locks ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Restomod Guys - Power Door Locks ?

There are threads on here about adding power door locks, something I have done to numerous cars so I am familiar with the solenoids and remote kits etc.

One thing I cant see addressed is what people typically do when the car doesn't have power anything and therefore no wire conduit between the door and body.

I see the conduit is available and adding it has been roughly outlined on the forum, but I wondered if the restomod guys adding power everything to cars also go this route ?

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...nduit-kit.aspx
Old 01-23-2018, 02:47 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I am guessing the result here will be "just install the conduit", so I am looking around and found the following article. Good reference for any future readers of the thread :

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...1967-corvette/
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'm not sure how applicable this would be to a midyear, but I added power windows to my '59. I have never liked the looks or operation of the stock conduit that carries the electrical wiring to the doors, so I routed mine through the hinges. Here are some pics.
http://www.carols62.com/59/dec06.htm
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I'm not sure how applicable this would be to a midyear, but I added power windows to my '59. I have never liked the looks or operation of the stock conduit that carries the electrical wiring to the doors, so I routed mine through the hinges. Here are some pics.
Nice work Carol! Really like how you hid the wires in the hinges. Very slick.

Patrick
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
I am guessing the result here will be "just install the conduit", so I am looking around and found the following article. Good reference for any future readers of the thread :

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...1967-corvette/
I like the mod to carve a wire channel in a hinge on each side to hide the wires ... very slick indeed and wouldn't compromise (much) on strength, especially since Corvette doors are light anyway.

The SuperChevy article on installing power windows is a nice step-by-step procedure. One thing I didn't see it mention was the need for adding 2 rubber grommets BEFORE you thread the wires thru the birdcage and door frame. These wires move somewhat each time the door is opened/closed so you do not want the insulation to abrade off as the birdcage is grounded.

I marked the pics to show where. Paragon and all the other suppliers who have the conduit will also have these grommets. Fyi Bill.
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

BTW, don't be too concerned about cutting those long openings in the door jamb. After you drill a hole in the center, its very easy to grind the fiberglass out to the correct shape as the birdcage metal behind it is already cut out for this option to be added. Fyi Bill
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Just noticed something else in the SuperChevy article for anyone planning to follow it to add power windows. The installer should have mounted the conduit horizontal in the jamb opening .... like the factory did when they installed them. The 2nd picture shows the correct orientation.

This installer has them pointed in a downward position which is not correct. I will probably work like this as long as he positioned it so it doesn't touch the jamb when the door is full-open or full-closed. Cheers, Bill
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's a picture of a nice conduit we used for power windows on a C-1...Braided stainless steel tube with a ball and socket swivel...Very clean and works well...
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Not a fan of the conduit, or flex tube. This contact setup works fine for us.
Sorry don't have a better picture.
Just need to have the doors closed..to power the windows and locks.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Very nice job going through the hinge like that. Something like you would see on a street rod.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:33 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Depends on the car.

Cars like C1 and 55-57 chevys have hinges big and heavy enough that wiring can be routed through them.

There is a guy on the tri-five forum that modifies 55-57 door hinges so the wires run inside the hinge metal. Same thing could be done for C1 hinges.

Remember that Vettes as early as 1956 had power window options, so there was wiring in the door for that.

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod Guys - Power Door Locks ?

Quick Reply: Restomod Guys - Power Door Locks ?