C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 lower valance panel alignment

Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 64 lower valance panel alignment

I find the lower valance panel is not quite aligned. Laying under the car looking straight up at it, where it meets the radiator support, it doesn't quite meet the radiator support on the passenger side but it over-hangs it slightly on the drivers side.
I believe the car does not have the frame pushed back from a collision (pass side).. I tend to believe the fenders were not glassed on exactly right but I'm studying it.
I found that alignment of the doors and other panels seemed to be poorly located at the factory.. I corrected all I found so far.. but wonder if this is common on these cars. The nose alignment looks great.. gaps.. everything is first rate.
How does this area look on your cars.. does it meet the radiator support evenly on both sides and does it overlap it a little or is there a slight space between. I could alter the glass edge to make it right.. 1/4" one way or the other would do it.. but maybe I should leave it.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The bodies were just glued (bonded together) and just about any potential misalignment imaginable could be possible. Back to the top and maybe someone can help you.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

what does this area look like on yours
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

When I first installed the body on my frame, I had a similar mis-alignment between the lower valance and my core support.

After trying various minor adjustments, I found that I had set the body ever slightly offset on the frame - there is a small amount of "play" in the caged nuts. I loosened the body bolts (but kept the bolts in place, just loose) and was able to shove the body to achieve an even alignment with the core support and lower valance. Then just re-tightened the body bolts.

If you have Noland Adams C2 book - he has several pictures of cars on a lift, looking upwards you can see the small gap between the core support and the lower valance that is more or less even across the width of the car.

Last edited by Dougs63; 01-24-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ohpoppy
what does this area look like on yours
My front end has been replaced so it's not representative of St Louis plant work - thus no pictures offered.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dougs63
After trying various minor adjustments, I found that I had set the body ever slightly offset on the frame - there is a small amount of "play" in the caged nuts. .
There is also that too. Quite a bit of movement is possible on the mounts.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 AM
ohpoppy
Instructor

that sounds like a solution.. I'll take a look. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 64 lower valance panel alignment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 64 lower valance panel alignment