Sponsored by:

How bad is winter storage on sport cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
Default How bad is winter storage on sport cars

Living in Canada a new sport car could see a lot of storage, aside from keeping the battery healthy,flluids fresh do they succumb to storage related problems ie seals, brake lines, not a mechanic just wondering.

btw are magnetic shocks and HUD options on a base c7? thanks

Last edited by ojm; 01-24-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Popular Reply

01-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

FWIW - Tribology is the technical field of scientific study focusing on the design, friction, wear, and lubrication of interacting surfaces in relative motion (as in bearings, pistons or gears).

Without getting too technical (and I do have some experience here), let me just say that it is more prudent to let the engine sit without starting during periods of little/no use than it is to start on an infrequent basis --- particularly if start up occurs under what is considered to be a corner point design operating condition or combination of corner point operating conditions.

Countless academic Masters/PhD theses and technical (or white) papers have been written that are based on designed experiments and/or technical studies conducted to identify and assess impact of critcial factors and possible interaction of their effects on bearing surface wear and durability. Critical factors studied to identify/evaluate corner point operating conditions (i.e., bearing/piston life) include: design, finish, composition, operating temperature of contacting surfaces; clearance of mating contact surfaces; lubricant type (i.e., synthetic liquid) and viscosity, composition, additives; lubricant supply strategy and operating pressure; cleanliness, contaminant particulate size and composition; moisture/condensation effects; relevant gap clearances; system load and ramp up rate to normal operating conditions.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Can’t say...too busy driving mine...
Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver C7
Can’t say...too busy driving mine...

THAT was not funnyis that a seagull near your car.

Last edited by ojm; 01-24-2018 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomtoro (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

THAT was not funny
^ This WAS funny.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 AM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

It'll be fine over a winter and driving it in the summer. Dealers keep them over winter with no issues. It's when you let a car sit for 2-3-4+ years where the issues start. I daily drive my vette but my lambo sits from late Oct to late March. I keep it on the tender and about once a month start it up for 10 or so minutes and move it a smidge to prevent flat spots and it's fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by blb078:
Maxie2U (01-24-2018), ojm (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Storing the car over the winter should not hurt it at all as long as you took proper precautions when getting the car ready for its winter nap.
ojm (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
It'll be fine over a winter and driving it in the summer. Dealers keep them over winter with no issues. It's when you let a car sit for 2-3-4+ years where the issues start. I daily drive my vette but my lambo sits from late Oct to late March. I keep it on the tender and about once a month start it up for 10 or so minutes and move it a smidge to prevent flat spots and it's fine.
I agree with you except for one very major part. Starting it for 10 minutes is doing more damage than good. Unless you're going to drive it, running the engine up and down through the rev range and are getting the engine and trannie temps up to normal operating temps, you're better off letting it sleep.

OP, yes you can order a base car w/ MSRC. HUD is part of the 2LT pkg, which you can also order on a base car.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Maxie2U (01-24-2018), ojm (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I personally don't like to let my car sit for more than a 3-4 weeks at a time, so any sports car that I have "stored" for the winter has always come out to play quite a few times during the winter months, as long as the roads are dry. I can only recall one winter in the past 20 years (the winter of 99-00) where I could not drive my sports car (at the time it was a 98 Firebird Formula) for a solid 4 months. But last winter was a good one here in southern Ontario, I managed to drive my old C6 at least 10 times, there were plenty of opportunities where the roads were dry.

I thought this winter was going to be a bad one, as the day after I picked up my new C7 on Dec 20th, we just kept getting one snow storm after another and it looked like the roads were going to stay messy for the entire winter. But last weekend we got some warm temps and the roads for the most part were pretty good. I did run into some wet spots from melting snow, but I immediately washed the car at the local coin op. I know there are a lot of people on here that cringe at the thought of driving their Corvettes if there is even a hint of salt on the road, but to me as long as the roads aren't caked in a thick layer of the stuff, I don't fear driving on a slight bit of it. It's really not going to harm anything as long as you don't put the car away filthy and let it sit on there for a long period of time. If it gets a tiny bit of dry salt dust on it, wash it off and it can't hurt a thing. IMO, life is too short to spend time waiting to enjoy these fun cars, so when I get the slightest chance to take it out, I will. And in my case I only have a few more Canadian winters to go anyhow, and starting in the fall of 2022 my wife and I will be spending our winters in SW Florida.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
Amontekong (01-28-2018), Foosh (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I personally don't like to let my car sit for more than a 3-4 weeks at a time, so any sports car that I have "stored" for the winter has always come out to play quite a few times during the winter months, as long as the roads are dry. I can only recall one winter in the past 20 years (the winter of 99-00) where I could not drive my sports car (at the time it was a 98 Firebird Formula) for a solid 4 months. But last winter was a good one here in southern Ontario, I managed to drive my old C6 at least 10 times, there were plenty of opportunities where the roads were dry.

I thought this winter was going to be a bad one, as the day after I picked up my new C7 on Dec 20th, we just kept getting one snow storm after another and it looked like the roads were going to stay messy for the entire winter. But last weekend we got some warm temps and the roads for the most part were pretty good. I did run into some wet spots from melting snow, but I immediately washed the car at the local coin op. I know there are a lot of people on here that cringe at the thought of driving their Corvettes if there is even a hint of salt on the road, but to me as long as the roads aren't caked in a thick layer of the stuff, I don't fear driving on a slight bit of it. It's really not going to harm anything as long as you don't put the car away filthy and let it sit on there for a long period of time. If it gets a tiny bit of dry salt dust on it, wash it off and it can't hurt a thing. IMO, life is too short to spend time waiting to enjoy these fun cars, so when I get the slightest chance to take it out, I will. And in my case I only have a few more Canadian winters to go anyhow, and starting in the fall of 2022 my wife and I will be spending our winters in SW Florida.
Last Saturday was a good day for a short spin and I did the same as you. Took a little ride, put some air in the tires and fresh gas. Washed it off and dried it; back in the garage till another nice winter day.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
Last Saturday was a good day for a short spin and I did the same as you. Took a little ride, put some air in the tires and fresh gas. Washed it off and dried it; back in the garage till another nice winter day.
Another thing I often hear people say is that when the roads have been salted, they won't drive their Corvette until after a good rain, but I have found that even if it doesn't rain, that the salt just dissipates on it's own after a day or two, especially on heavily travelled roads and highways. Sure, the road doesn't look as black as usual, but it's not caked in the stuff by any means. As long as you don't see the cars in front of you leaving a trail of salt dust behind them, then it'll be fine. When I went for a drive last Saturday, my son took this picture, and you can see the condition of the highways here. They are definitely whiter than they would be in the summer, but when you drive on them they don't leave a huge amount of residue behind.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

It won't hurt a thing to store it for the winter. I did that with my C5 for the 15 years that I owned it and never had any problems. The C7 is on its 4 winter of storage and it has been fine as well.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It won't hurt it at all , it's a car built just like all the other cars ,"except that it's beautifull"
The following 2 users liked this post by RonR80:
JimNeedsC7 (01-26-2018), kenownr (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Another thing I often hear people say is that when the roads have been salted, they won't drive their Corvette until after a good rain, but I have found that even if it doesn't rain, that the salt just dissipates on it's own after a day or two, especially on heavily travelled roads and highways. Sure, the road doesn't look as black as usual, but it's not caked in the stuff by any means. As long as you don't see the cars in front of you leaving a trail of salt dust behind them, then it'll be fine. When I went for a drive last Saturday, my son took this picture, and you can see the condition of the highways here. They are definitely whiter than they would be in the summer, but when you drive on them they don't leave a huge amount of residue behind.
That view from the steering wheel is one of the great perks of owning a C7 (and C3).
The following 3 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
edved (01-25-2018), kenownr (01-24-2018), Patman (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Patman: 401/403 ? -- I had same view out my windshield heading up I-94 towards Port Huron. Great day to stretch CV legs a bit during these loooooong winters.

tom
Patman (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I've been storing sports cars, Corvettes and others, for winters (4-5 months typically) for years with no problems. I just take the usual precautions but nothing special.
449er (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
redandtan
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How bad is winter storage on sport cars

Lots of winter in western new york, but each spring it is unwrapping a new car again. Battery on a charger, fluids all changed prior to storage and stabil in the tank. What could go wrong after sitting for a few months.

Just drive it and enjoy.
tomtoro (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

No problems at all after sitting out the Winter, the Vette appreciates the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To How bad is winter storage on sport cars

Old 01-24-2018, 09:21 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Completely agree. These cars are meant to be driven and let's be honest dealers wont give you more money on trade-in if you store the car for the winter or not.
Patman (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I agree with you except for one very major part. Starting it for 10 minutes is doing more damage than good. Unless you're going to drive it, running the engine up and down through the rev range and are getting the engine and trannie temps up to normal operating temps, you're better off letting it sleep.

There has been a LOT of discussion over the years about this (start-don't start periodically).

FWIW - just think about it for a minute: what is the worst possible set of conditions that you could subject your engine to? Answer: repeated cold starts a week or more apart in extreme temperature conditions.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 01-24-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Foosh (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

If that's what my roads looked like, I'd drive mine, too. Where are the white cars, the white shoulders, the melting snow running across the lanes, the salt spray, the salt dust? You're nowhere close to needing to put your car away for the winter. Enjoy it!
Maxie2U (01-24-2018)

Quick Reply: How bad is winter storage on sport cars