C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to my C6 but have a big issue right now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to my C6 but have a big issue right now.

I purchased a C6 base LS3 in september from dealership, 39000 miles, Currently at 42200. Car ran flawlessly. I was driving to work on the highway at roughly 70 MPH and I had a whole lot of lights come on and went into limp mode.

During my lunch at work I went out to my car started it up, Put it in sport mode, shifted through all the gears fine(check engine light still on) got gas and it went away. Transmission was shifting fine yada yada, Well it came back on so I stopped at autozone and got the codes quick before it would go off again.

I attached a photo of the DTCs and a video of what exactly its doing while driving it.

Things I've tried:
Jacked car up looked for transmission wiring harness inspected to see if there were any wires bumping out of the connector(looked fine)

Reseated connectors under passenger seat and passenger floor near fuse box

Reconnected battery terminals.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

There are a few things that have been known to cause this sort of issue.
1) Check all your spark plug wires. If one is off or loose, that will give all kinds of weird alarms.
2) The fuse box main (BLUE) connectors in the passenger footwell can become shifted if a passenger happens to push too hard on the floor board. There is not much gap between those connectors and the floor board. Unconnect the blue connectors, check for any bent pins, and reconnect using dielectic grease on the pins.
Some have used large pencil eraser as spacers to prevent that from happening.
I've added a PDF so you can see the connectors in question.

If you find the cause, report back so someone else can learn from your experience.
Thanks
Attached Images
The following 3 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
jeffs64 (05-02-2018), MCCA76 (03-24-2018), Mcrider (05-09-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

I'm going to try that right now. the pins under passenger side were a little twisted i tried fixing them the best I could but i'm gonna pull those two quick. Also took my vararam intake off just incase because that was my only major mod i have done to this car. Less trouble shooting the better.

Last edited by Derek Adams; 01-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Unplugged both blue harness's replugged them in and checked the pins; they all look good to me. Even tried wiggling them around. I also cleaned all the grounds I could find. Btw it looks like someone had it marked with a white marker like they were going over all of this before and checked it off... assuming this was a reoccurring problem that dealership fixed before sale.

Last edited by Derek Adams; 01-24-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

When I have off again I'm going to have to pull my fender off and check the TCM out; make sure wiring is good. The fuse is not blown (10A) not sure if their are any others. I checked the back of harness near transmission visually looked clean and good but judging by pictures of everyone else it seems like the TCM module gets messy so maybe I need to clean that up and check pins and wires.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Check this thread. It's been 6 years and I remembered the thread but I don't remember all of the details. There is a lot of info in it and both Bill Dearborn and Bill Curlee are still around so you may be able to contact them for more personal help. These "communications" problems are a bear to trace sometimes. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-0n-06-c6.html
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

How old is your battery? With the C6 it's the first place to start.
The following 2 users liked this post by d.medic:
JerriVette (01-25-2018), schizcat (01-29-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 PM
addictedtotrack
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Adams
When I have off again I'm going to have to pull my fender off and check the TCM out; make sure wiring is good. The fuse is not blown (10A) not sure if their are any others. I checked the back of harness near transmission visually looked clean and good but judging by pictures of everyone else it seems like the TCM module gets messy so maybe I need to clean that up and check pins and wires.
Did you mean ECM? Just asking because the TCM is in the transmission on the 6L80E. ECM is behind passenger side fender.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Before digging in deep, battery and spark plug wires are common causes of this.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:33 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Adams
I purchased a C6 base LS3 in september from dealership, 39000 miles, Currently at 42200. Car ran flawlessly. I was driving to work on the highway at roughly 70 MPH and I had a whole lot of lights come on and went into limp mode.

During my lunch at work I went out to my car started it up, Put it in sport mode, shifted through all the gears fine(check engine light still on) got gas and it went away. Transmission was shifting fine yada yada, Well it came back on so I stopped at autozone and got the codes quick before it would go off again.

I attached a photo of the DTCs and a video of what exactly its doing while driving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRomkBKqXEI

Things I've tried:
Jacked car up looked for transmission wiring harness inspected to see if there were any wires bumping out of the connector(looked fine)

Reseated connectors under passenger seat and passenger floor near fuse box

Reconnected battery terminals.
with nothing but trany codes there's something amiss with your transmission
Old 01-25-2018, 11:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

10 years of c6 ownership since new. 118k miles..

Every 27 to 36 months I get a multitude of messages in DIC of issues.

Always ends up being simply replace with a new battery. It's like $150 bucks give or take.....

All my DIC messages go away.

Change your battery to a new one first.

Works like a charm 99 percent of the time with forum members.

The voltage sent has to be good otherwise the computer sets off all these wild unrelated codes...

Take a piece of advice from a long time corvette owner who uses his corvette daily..

First change your battery..

It's not expensive and it's usually the path to happy motoring again..

Good luck

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-25-2018 at 11:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
bigjeff1222 (08-20-2020), Jimmy C-6 (05-05-2018), SCcues (08-10-2020)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM
GaVette61
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First check your plug wires, especially the coil pack side. It will take like 1 minute.

If you have done this and they are good then move to the next step.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Alright so one thing i noticed the cluster lights are a lot dimmer now when car is running; windows also will not go up all the time or drop when i open door to avoid hitting the car. I pulled all the plugs and pushed them back on. Looked clean too. Before I do anymore electrical digging I guess I'll replace the battery. I personally think I have a short somewhere but worth a try!

Last edited by Derek Adams; 01-25-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

This is very depressing nice days and I can't drive it ;( but anyhow heres a picture of the bottom passenger side compartment, Looks like someone has already been here diagnosing the car? notice the 3 connectors marked off in white.
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It might be worth a shot to unclip all of the harnesses and plug them back in. I had an issue with my OBD2 not working . I unhooked them and my port started working.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Did you get a chance to pull the TCM connector and check it, the TCM pins yet?

As you should know, the TCM is behind the EVM in the passanger fender space.

Blue connector in the back is the TCM module connector.

But yes, with the white markings on the bcm connectors, does look like someone was in the car trouble shooting gremlins before you bought the car, and with luck, still just a electrical connection problem again.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-25-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Did you get a chance to pull the TCM connector and check it, the TCM pins yet?

As you should know, the TCM is behind the EVM in the passanger fender space.

Blue connector in the back is the TCM module connector.

But yes, with the white markings on the bcm connectors, does look like someone was in the car trouble shooting gremlins before you bought the car, and with luck, still just a electrical connection problem again.
its an 09 auto car.TCM is in the transmission

Get notified of new replies

To New to my C6 but have a big issue right now.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:52 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,698 Posts

As stated already, replace the battery or at a minimum have it load tested. Low voltage does wrird things to today's computer controlled cars.

As far as your window problem, it sounds like you need to reindex the windows. You do this by running the window full up, continue to hold the switch up for a few seconds after it is fully up, release the switch, then pull the switch again like you are closing the window, hold it for a few seconds, then release it again. You have to do this on both windows; it's in the owner's manual.

Regarding the white marks on the connectors, this is a common practice in the assembly plants as an indication that a certain quality check or inspection has been completed.

Last edited by BadAV; 01-26-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Ok so I havent touched car since; but I did go out and start it before I drove my DD to work; all the codes I was getting disappeared and could shift through gears in sport sitting still.(again)

But I did purchase another battery already put it in, Gonna eat dinner and take it out and see if it fixed the problem.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Started fine, Drove fine, coming down over hill ding ding ding, lights on downshifted hard and car wouldn't even go over 10 mph and stuck at 1K rpm. Shut car off, turned back on. Sounded HORRIBLE like it wouldn't even wanna start.

Quick Reply: New to my C6 but have a big issue right now.