C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stuff you can do to your C4 while you have no $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Stuff you can do to your C4 while you have no $$$

So, I just bought my 96. Im so tapped out right now I cant even afford to buy new tires which are now too old to drive on.. so while I save for a set of CCW classics and new tires I find myself putting around the garage trying to take some age off of her and minor improvements.

So far:
Filled cracks in seats with leather crack sealer and re-dyed them both.
In the process of cleaning aluminum oxidation off of components in engine compartment.. so far is been a nylon brush and grunt.. any chem I can can use?
removed wiper rest and cleaned with 600g sandpaper and laquer thinner.. need to do the other side.
Generally cleaned engine compartment.. started off with hose and water and I just get in there and work at things.. suspension included
Pulled the door panel off on drivers side and repaired the ribs.. I wrote this up in another thread.

I want to:
Remove the hideous "carbon fiber look" stickers someone applied to my interior.. its embarrassing.. anyone have a solution?
Pull all the interior trim work in the console.. its all "sticky"... and some of the coating has worn off.. need to figure out how to restore these pieces. see photos.
Replace all fluids.. actually this is expensive too.. need to choose an antifreeze.. bought my fav. brake fluid.. ATE Blue.

Thats what I have for now. Sorry for the flipped photos.. no matter what I do this website seems to enjoy them upside down..

I hope to see some great ideas..

Anyone lower the butt end to make it more level? I presume GM put some luggage factor into it so its a little higher in the rear?

thanks
Attached Images        
Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Remove the hideous "carbon fiber look" stickers someone applied to my interior.. its embarrassing.. anyone have a solution?
I've used WD40 and nylon pry bars to get off bumper stickers. A heat gun would help the process along but I would be careful about how much heat because it's plastic.

Replace all fluids.. actually this is expensive too.. need to choose an antifreeze.. bought my fav. brake fluid.. ATE Blue.
Orange GM dexcool is what these cars came with. You can buy the Prestone Dexcool at Walmart for pretty cheap. You can buy the undiluted stuff and mix yourself to save a couple bucks. I took off the top black reservoir and the bottom clear one and cleaned them. The thin line that runs to the bottom one on mine was clogged so I had to use compressed air to unclog it.

Pretty much everything costs money but these are very inexpensive and what I've been doing over the winter.

Repainted calipers, and painted the caliper brackets. If you have saw blades though, this is practically pointless.

The third brake light and front bumper lights you can sand with 3000 grit sandpaper and then hand polish to bring them back to life. It's kind of silly but it's all about the details. Here's my before and after:

Old 02-11-2018, 01:19 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

So, here is my "Top ten", No cost or low cost, best bang for your buck projects

10 Install a pair of emergency hood release cables ($5)
9 Clean your Throttle body (gasket and cleaner $10)
8 Remove, clean and regap your spark plugs ($0)
7 Recondition, clean re lube all your rubber door/window seals with armor all ($5)
6 Wax your car. Twice. ($8)
5 Clean out the "void" between your radiator and condenser. I bet it is filled with junk ($0)
4 Take your battery out and clean both the power junction and electrical grounds ($0)
3 Clean/wash your air cleaner. ($0)
2 Lube all door hinges, hood catches, antennae with WD40 or grease ($10)

and the number one...

1 Check each exposed screw or hex head for proper tightness (interior and engine area) ($0)

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 02-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:09 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haxxx
I've used WD40 and nylon pry bars to get off bumper stickers. A heat gun would help the process along but I would be careful about how much heat because it's plastic.

Orange GM dexcool is what these cars came with. You can buy the Prestone Dexcool at Walmart for pretty cheap. You can buy the undiluted stuff and mix yourself to save a couple bucks. I took off the top black reservoir and the bottom clear one and cleaned them. The thin line that runs to the bottom one on mine was clogged so I had to use compressed air to unclog it.

Pretty much everything costs money but these are very inexpensive and what I've been doing over the winter.

Repainted calipers, and painted the caliper brackets. If you have saw blades though, this is practically pointless.

The third brake light and front bumper lights you can sand with 3000 grit sandpaper and then hand polish to bring them back to life. It's kind of silly but it's all about the details. Here's my before and after:

I ran straight out to the garage and did my center brake and the two license plate lights. I used a rubbing compound and then used a clear plastic cleaner (mequires).. MAJOR difference in how the booty looks.. when you do little things like this the car starts to look like it came from the dealer..

I forgot one of my #1 recommendations of stuff to do when you have no $$..

Clay Bar
Man this can really make a difference.. run your hand over your freshly washed car and you will feel all sorts of tree sap and gunk.. clay bar takes it right off.

Im looking at those carbon fiber look like adhesive things and what is going on in my head is.. Dude, once you start this you have gone down the rabbit hole.. so Im really debating doing it at all. sigh.

EDIT: those brakes look great.. its on my list as well.

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-11-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:13 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
So, here is my "Top ten", No cost or low cost, best bang for your buck projects

10 Install a pair of emergency hood release cables ($5)
9 Clean your Throttle body (gasket and cleaner $10)
8 Remove, clean and regap your spark plugs ($0)
7 Recondition, clean re lube all your rubber door/window seals with armor all ($5)
6 Wax your car. Twice. ($8)
5 Clean out the "void" between your radiator and condenser. I bet it is filled with junk ($0)
4 Take your battery out and clean both the power junction and electrical grounds ($0)
3 Clean/wash your air cleaner. ($0)
2 Lube all door hinges, hood catches, antennae with WD40 or grease ($10)

and the number one...

1 Check each exposed screw or hex head for proper tightness (interior and engine area) ($0)
Funny.. I also did my air cleaner today.. WHAT A MESS.. the "gasket" around the filter had totally disintegrated.. anyone have a recommendation for replacing it? Im thinking just head to lowes and get some window insulation with adhesive back.. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone look at this because it will get sucket into your engine.

You talk about regapping your spark plugs like its no big deal. Im thinking pay someone.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

My favorite: just sit behind the wheel and grin. 🤘

J.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:22 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You talk about regapping your spark plugs like its no big deal. Im thinking pay someone.
Serious, do it yourself and save your money for other projects.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:39 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Pulling the plugs isn't hard, but it is time consuming and irritating on the LT engine. I did it myself when my plug wires were toast. Getting all the new wires on the opti takes a lot of swearing. While I was there I replaced the plugs as well. I wouldn't pull them just to regap. F that !
Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdlclam
My favorite: just sit behind the wheel and grin. 🤘

J.
I do that secretly. If my wife catches me I will never hear the end of it. Due to my cash shortage situation I sometimes need to make car noises as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:27 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Pulling the plugs isn't hard, but it is time consuming and irritating on the LT engine. I did it myself when my plug wires were toast. Getting all the new wires on the opti takes a lot of swearing. While I was there I replaced the plugs as well. I wouldn't pull them just to regap. F that !
If I were to do plugs or wires I would need a crane device to swing me around over the top of the engine. Ive actually considered building one.. Or a scaffolding?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:24 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

you can refinish the plastic in your car with some simple but time consuming work,,, first i see the finish on the shift console has been rubbed of, very common.. go to the drug store and get yourself a bottle of non acetone nail polish remover soak a turkish towel or rag and start rubbing the rubberized finish, it will pill up and come off and as the remover soaks in it will come off easier, remember do not get the remover with acetone , it will ruin the plastic finish. now that you have that rubbed off clean with solvent or rubbing alcohol. now your ready for the finish, i have used this and it duplicates the original finish almost exactly, it is called plasti dip spray, u can get it at pepboys, before spraying the consol practice on a smooth piece of cardboard so you know how it works, once you have that down your good to go. if your going to do it in the car make sure you tape and mask all around . it needs a long dry time to cure, pay attention to the instructions on the can. after about 2 week in the sun, the finish seems alot more durable...mine came out great., black was the color i used.

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 02-13-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
you can refinish the plastic in your car with some simple but time consuming work,,, first i see the finish on the shift console has been rubbed of, very common.. go to the drug store and get yourself a bottle of non acetone nail polish remover soak a turkish towel or rag and start rubbing the rubberized finish, it will pill up and come off and as the remover soaks in it will come off easier, remember do not get the remover with acetone , it will ruin the plastic finish. now that you have that rubbed off clean with solvent or rubbing alcohol. now your ready for the finish, i have used this and it duplicates the original finish almost exactly, it is called plasti dip spray, u can get it at pepboys, before spraying the consol practice on a smooth piece of cardboard so you know how it works, once you have that down your good to go. if your going to do it in the car make sure you tape and mask all around . it needs a long dry time to cure, pay attention to the instructions on the can. after about 2 week in the sun, the finish seems alot more durable...mine came out great., black was the color i used.
thanks.. looks like this will be next weekends project.

I guess plasti dip is all the rage with "wheel dippin".
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

An easy and cheap way to make your plastic radiator recovery tank look new again. (The little white plastic one under the passenger headlight)
Pull it out and rinse it out. Then get some small fish-tank gravel at a local pet store and some 9% vinegar from the grocery store. Put the little gravel in the tank and cover it with about a quart of vinegar. (Yeah, it's gonna stink some) Shake it around and let it sit a while and then shake it around some more. It won't hurt anything for it to sit overnight. Dump the nasty rusty vinegar out on some weeds and catch your gravel in a strainer for either trash or reuse. Your rusty looking overflow jug will look like new inside now!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you have a picture of the "before" on the seats? That Leather Works stuff seems to do the trick and my black seats are getting worse for wear.

As for easiest and free-est thing to do with a new-to-you C4: Stand back and stare at it with a big grin from a bunch of different angles. And then when you're tired of standing, pull up a chair and a favorite beverage and stare more.

I don't know what condition your exhaust pipes are in, but you could always buff those up if they're oxidized (or worse). And an optional (somewhat polarizing) choice is pulling out the spare tire assembly (if present) and you want to see the rear end and lighten the car a bit.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
An easy and cheap way to make your plastic radiator recovery tank look new again. (The little white plastic one under the passenger headlight)
Pull it out and rinse it out. Then get some small fish-tank gravel at a local pet store and some 9% vinegar from the grocery store. Put the little gravel in the tank and cover it with about a quart of vinegar. (Yeah, it's gonna stink some) Shake it around and let it sit a while and then shake it around some more. It won't hurt anything for it to sit overnight. Dump the nasty rusty vinegar out on some weeds and catch your gravel in a strainer for either trash or reuse. Your rusty looking overflow jug will look like new inside now!
maybe it was you i read this from a few years ago but yeah this an awesome trick about to do it to my third c4. i just grabbed gravel from a local playground
Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

my contribution is to clleeeaannnnn undr the hood. all the black clamps and screws and metal components can be removed and sprayed with satin black mist coats to look new again.

a bottle of eagle 1 and you can dissassemble your accessories and clean all the bracketry back to oem from the blotchy oxidized look
Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Stuff you can do to your C4 while you have no $$$

Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I forgot one of my #1 recommendations of stuff to do when you have no $$..
Clay Bar.
Only if you know someone who's giving away free clay bars and spray detailer.....

Last edited by rocco16; 02-14-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rocco16
Only if you know someone who's giving away free clay bars and spray detailer.....
You can buy 2 bars for under $10 shipped. You dont need spray detailer.. soapy water is all you need. Just be sure and wipe the soap solution up with a wet rag and continue on.. then wash the whole car again, wax and enjoy your cars new finish.

If your car is real bad you might need 4 bars. I dont like to use a bar too long if the car is real bad so I dont risk fine scratches.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just picked up some 3000 grit sandpaper. Were there any steps before you sanded the plastic lenses?
Did you do it to the driving lights, side markers, and tail lights?

Last edited by vette196; 02-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Stuff you can do to your C4 while you have no $$$