C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket

I want something that is easy to take off and on. Has anyone tried this one from Mid America Motorworks?

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...-only-611843-1

I just got my license plates and when I opened the plastic bags holding the factory brackets, I found there was no instructions or hardware for mounting. I've been searching and the Top Flight brackets look nice but their website does not have instructions/videos for mounting to a Z06. Besides, from what I've read there are some screws underneath you have to reach. I have no way of jacking my car up to get underneath it; and I really don't want to.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Got a warning ticket from a local county cop here in Maryland just a few days after taking delivery of my new Z06. My mistake for not registering it out of state!

As for front plates, opted for the factory flush mount (not the "legal" monster") and it seems to work fine. No interference with the front painted bits and easily removed (Phillips screwdriver based on the plate screws I opted for) and fits fine.

Should you chose the same, mounting was simple- lock the "big" holder bits into the corners of the bracket, but I did need to slightly shave the corners of the bracket to get them to fit into place. Then set the bracket into the grille and push the large plastic "screws" into the holes. Will bottom out then give a slight twist with a Phillips screwdriver to snug up. Bend your plate a touch and mount, easy peasy...

Allen
The following users liked this post:
SouthOCBoy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Got a warning ticket from a local county cop here in Maryland just a few days after taking delivery of my new Z06. My mistake for not registering it out of state!

As for front plates, opted for the factory flush mount (not the "legal" monster") and it seems to work fine. No interference with the front painted bits and easily removed (Phillips screwdriver based on the plate screws I opted for) and fits fine.

Should you chose the same, mounting was simple- lock the "big" holder bits into the corners of the bracket, but I did need to slightly shave the corners of the bracket to get them to fit into place. Then set the bracket into the grille and push the large plastic "screws" into the holes. Will bottom out then give a slight twist with a Phillips screwdriver to snug up. Bend your plate a touch and mount, easy peasy...

Allen
Thanks for your reply. Where did you get the backing plates and screws? I have no idea what I should look for. There is nothing in the grill to bite into. I don't recall seeing any plastic screws that came with the factory brackets. I saw some on Youtube for the Stingray but not for the Z06.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

Top Flights bracket is a !st class product and takes 10 minutes to install. No jacking required.

Lay on the ground with a small ratchet and loosen about 4 of the screws, each side of centre that hold the front splitter on.

Remove the 2 screws closest to the centre and slide the bracket in.

Reinstall the 2 screws and tighten up the others and you are done.

Top Flights bracket fits between the splitter and body, so it isn't the lowest point at the front.

The picture in my avatar has the plate mounted to the aero plate, which was hard to get off when I got the top flight holder.

Oh oh, just read you want something easy to take on and off..

Even the aero plate that comes with the car is hard to get off at times.

A friend has a Sto & Sho on his car that removes in about 10 seconds..

I looked at those but it requires a bit more for original installation on cars with front splitters and hangs down below the splitter making it the low part at the front of the car.

Last edited by dyoung; 02-11-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: reread original post.
SouthOCBoy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Mine came with the car on delivery, along with the standard "big" mount just not installed. Two separate mounts including the associated mounting pieces.

If not, you may want to ping your dealership and maybe they would be able to assist...
Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B

Allen
i got the factory flush mount too. It was installed when I got the car I tried removing it but it looks like i would have to break those expanders the big plastic Phillip head screws go into. Have you removed yours after installing it. It’s a good fit but it does seem to block some airflow into the grill/radiator.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

i got the factory flush mount too. It was installed when I got the car I tried removing it but it looks like i would have to break those expanders the big plastic Phillip head screws go into. Have you removed yours after installing it. It’s a good fit but it does seem to block some airflow into the grill/radiator.
Haven't actually removed it but tested it before installing the plate. Took a while but "unscrewing" the big plastic Phillips pieces did seem to work. Haven't noted any changes in temp (i.e. airflow) and if anything I swear I've picked up fewer damn leaves in the grille...

Allen
Old 02-11-2018, 08:55 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

I got pulled for the same thing. It’s lame dude..
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the instructions available on that website. Click on the “Documents” link to see the PDF instruction sheets. Looks like a caveman can install with simple tools. Post up when you have the plates installed and please let us here know how it worked out.

Last edited by JumpingJackFlash; 02-12-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 AM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

SouthOCBoy, I have the bracket shown in your link. I live in LA and put it on every time I park on the street or in a public parking garage. It seems like tickets for not having a front plate are becoming more prevalent, especially among people being pulled over by the police (it used to mainly be parking enforcement officers). Anyway, the bracket is definitely pricey but top quality. It's really easy to mount and remove taking no more than a few seconds. Several sellers told me that it will stay on at highway speed. I don't doubt it, but I'm still hesitant to drive with it only 24/7 just in case it pops off and damages things. But I've driven around LA at 30-40 mph. Plus, it fits in the storage space in the left rear of the trunk. It seems like the only sturdy and easily removable mount that doesn't require screws.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Cubicinches
SouthOCBoy, I have the bracket shown in your link. I live in LA and put it on every time I park on the street or in a public parking garage. It seems like tickets for not having a front plate are becoming more prevalent, especially among people being pulled over by the police (it used to mainly be parking enforcement officers). Anyway, the bracket is definitely pricey but top quality. It's really easy to mount and remove taking no more than a few seconds. Several sellers told me that it will stay on at highway speed. I don't doubt it, but I'm still hesitant to drive with it only 24/7 just in case it pops off and damages things. But I've driven around LA at 30-40 mph. Plus, it fits in the storage space in the left rear of the trunk. It seems like the only sturdy and easily removable mount that doesn't require screws.
Thank you! I received a PM also giving it it a thumbs up. Never thought about it coming off at highway speeds. But it sounds like it just clips on and off making it too easy to store in the car. Does it scratch the grill? Yes, it is very expensive but if the quality is good and there's no screws then I'm in.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Cubicinches
I thought this was something that just clipped to the front grill. After reading the directions I see that is not the case. Do you have pictures? How easy was the install? When you take the plate off what does it look like with the bracket left on?

Thanks, Rob
Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I also have this same front plate bracket. It does just clip onto the front grill using a spring loaded mechanism with moveable spring loaded tabs that hook behind the grill. Very simple and holds securely. It takes a good deliberate squeeze to release and remove the bracket. I don’t think it’s likely to release on its own from driving with it on. It also has some cushions that help avoid scratching the grill.
SouthOCBoy (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

A little pricey but my preferred solution...
http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
A little pricey but my preferred solution...
http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
Are you still using this front bracket?

How has it held up?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
VET/TED
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the sto and show one and it works great. Fits perfectly with existing screws. No drilling and you would have to know the bracket is there to notice it when the plate is off.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM
FS L88
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VET/TED
I just bought the sto and show one and it works great. Fits perfectly with existing screws. No drilling and you would have to know the bracket is there to notice it when the plate is off.
I have the same front bracket that South OC Boy showed in the link to Mid America. I purchased the same bracket from Zip last month. It clips on and off in a few seconds and I have no reservations about it coming off while driving the car.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by FS L88
I have the same front bracket that South OC Boy showed in the link to Mid America. I purchased the same bracket from Zip last month. It clips on and off in a few seconds and I have no reservations about it coming off while driving the car.
I think it's the best one out there for a Z06. It's pricey but it's a one time investment. Keep it in the hatch until you feel like clipping it on. Showed it to another Z06 owner and he's sold. He attached it to his grill - no scratching and comes off and on in seconds. You can even lock it on if you want. I don't know why everyone doesn't use it.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:11 AM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchredc5vette
Are you still using this front bracket?

How has it held up?
I've been using this bracket for 6 years and it holds up very well. On a recent trip it saved my splitter twice, once on a pothole and once with debris laying in the freeway. I like the fact that it is the low point on the front end. If it gets damaged, it is a lot cheaper than a splitter.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate Bracket

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Bracket