C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridjit vs HOA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM
azvetteguy
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bridjit vs HOA

I installed a Bridjit curb ramp because my 2010 GS bottomed out on the curb when backing out of my driveway. Now my HOA said I must remove it.
They said it is a "Nuisance" "Rubbish" "Debris" "Unsanitary" "Unsightly" and "Offensive".
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fight your HOA?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It depends. Is your HOS a mandatory membership, or just a "suggested" one?

What is your HOA's process for disputing their dictatorship demands?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM
azvetteguy
Instructor

HOA is mandatory. I can get a hearing from the State of Arizona Real Estate Department.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 606 Posts

i just bought a house, and eliminated some for that reason.... my car wouldnt make it up the driveway. curious on how it turns out for ya
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Read the bylaws, ours is a huge book, I would never buy in a HOA community again, a bunch of **** condo commandos and we don't even live in a condo
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

In the bylaws, ask for the section, that speaks specifically about this item being banned. And/or ask them to pay to have the curb lowered to accommodate your car/vehicles stating they are not in compliance due to angles, height etc.

Give them bids for the price to do the work and recommend a schedule that works so you do not loose valuable time using your car.

I am guessing they will negotiate. BUT MAKE SURE it is introduced at an open public meeting and get as many of your neighbors that agree with you to go to the meeting.

Listen VERY closely to their answers at the HOA Meeting, many times the board are wanna bees and will make a comment that will kick them in the ***.

What I mean is, find out who maintains the road itself, if it was dedicated to the city for maintenance after the developer sold out, it may be considered "right of way" and they have no jurisdiction on that specific part of the road anyway.

Their parking was likely addresses in the original covenants, but NOT a item like you have, If it is not blocking traffic or causing undo harm to the right away, well...
Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 AM
PatPending
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You may simply need to get a ARC approval form and submit it. I would include that you will keep the trash, leaves, etc. from collecting and fouling the gutters. If they deny your application, then I would ask them for a variance. As others have suggested, talk with your neighbors and see if they will add their names to your application. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm not familiar with the "Bridjit" curb ramp. Is it something that is a permanent installation? Or is it something that can easily be placed as you move your car in or out of the driveway, and then removed?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

We had covenants in our sub division but they were not overly strict. When the developer turned over the street rights to the county anything dealing with the curbs, on street parking and right of way was under the jurisdiction of the county. One key for you to look at is who maintains the streets. If it is the city, the HOA has zero jurisdiction over the curb and street. If the city is ok with your ramp the HOA can go pound sand.
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (02-23-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
azvetteguy
Instructor

My HOA is going to have me give a presentation to the HOA board. To be continued....
Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,795 Likes on 4,232 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I remember my house in AZ and the big curb to get into my driveway. Other homeowners had the curb cut and the section connecting the driveway to the street re-poured. It's not that much money, and if approved by the city (if they maintain the streets) that might be a good option. Re: HOAs, there are always pluses & minuses. I chose to purchase in a neighborhood with a fairly strict HOA because down here in TX, neighborhoods go South fast & property value is directly affected. Good luck with your fight.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I remember my house in AZ and the big curb to get into my driveway. Other homeowners had the curb cut and the section connecting the driveway to the street re-poured. It's not that much money, and if approved by the city (if they maintain the streets) that might be a good option. Re: HOAs, there are always pluses & minuses. I chose to purchase in a neighborhood with a fairly strict HOA because down here in TX, neighborhoods go South fast & property value is directly affected. Good luck with your fight.
I had that done with approval from the HOA. The only requirement was a 4" drain pipe under the new swale. It was about 2 grand though, quite a bit more than the OP's solution.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
I had that done with approval from the HOA. The only requirement was a 4" drain pipe under the new swale. It was about 2 grand though, quite a bit more than the OP's solution.
Little tip that works for me....BACK your corvette INTO the driveway when arriving home....eliminates all scraping for mine.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:36 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by echelonphoto
Little tip that works for me....BACK your corvette INTO the driveway when arriving home....eliminates all scraping for mine.
I had the work done because my boat trailer was hitting when I backed it onto the driveway. I just got the Vette and I can back in or come in nose first with no issues. It also eliminated standing water in the swale which is a big plus!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Our subdivision just turned ten years old and the management company our developer put in place has turned over the HOA to the homeowners. Our main drag is a snow emergency route and the city plows our street. That ramp would get scooped up in the first heavy snow, regardless of an exception to the rules.

Our curbs are designed to channel the water into the storm drains, so a ramp would catch debris in the flowing water. That happened when they had these big sandbag things to catch construction debris when they were still building. It caused high standing water in the streets during heavy rains. I had to go out and clear the junk from the ones in front of my house. I would call the HOA or the city if a neighbor had a ramp and didn't immediately take care of a dam buildup.

This is far more important then someone's car getting scrapped by the curb.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

The OP shows he lives in Gold Canyon Arizona,This is just outside Phoenix. I doubt snow and heavy rain would be an issue.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:16 PM
azvetteguy
Instructor

Last time I had any measurable rain at my house was August of last year.

Get notified of new replies

To Bridjit vs HOA

Old 02-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Is it just the 'rubber' air dam? Mine drags but I just ignore it.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I'm not familiar with the "Bridjit" curb ramp. Is it something that is a permanent installation? Or is it something that can easily be placed as you move your car in or out of the driveway, and then removed?
Bridgit is a device that makes it easier to get over the driveway curb.

I just moved to my car to Phoenix into an HOA neighborhood so I'm curious how this issue is going to turn out.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I am in an HOA retirement community. In almost four years, no one has complained about my Bridjit, thank God.

We are getting a little rain as I type. There is not an issue being there is an opening in both ends of the connected pieces for drainage although we do not get much rain.

From time to time, I have to move it back in position (it walks a little over time; maybe six inches over a half year) and when I do that, I just sweep around it to remove the little debris we get around here.

Quick Reply: Bridjit vs HOA