C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART

Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART

This happened three months ago today.

All the collision shop needs is ONE PART, the rear floor assembly, part number 23294290, which has been on order since 28 November 2017. The shop at first said it should be in by year end, and when it wasn't, called GM at least twice a week. We're supposed to be one of three customers in the country who needs this one, they said. Now the shop has been calling daily, with no part available and no estimated time in stock.

This gives me at least three growing problems:

1. No Z. I miss my Z a lot, and spring is coming.

2. The insurance loaner is a Nissan Altima SV (unlike Lamborghini, this does not stand for "superveloce") and though it's reliable and economical and I'm thankful for it, I'm still having to make payments on the Z. How much? I'll just say that the first time I went by the bank to pay an installment, the manager asked "is this a house?"

3. Since it was the other guy's fault, state law requires his insurance company to chip me up for diminished value. The repair bill is over $15,000, likely enough to require a 25% damage notation on the title, and nobody wants to buy a wrecked Z, so I should be due some cool change. BUT I can't know how much, and can't even get it appraised, until it's fully fixed and rolling.

The collision shop is on my side and has rattled all the cages they can, because they really want to finish the job and get paid. All I can think of to do is the same thing that worked when my C6's clutch went out six years ago: post this here and see if I can get GM's attention.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

make your ins ''total it''
Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
This.

How did the accident happen?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
Originally Posted by DOOKEY
This.
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

2016 Z06 Convertible 2LZ MSRP, about $91k. Repair costs for this incident, about $15k. YOU make them "total it."

How did the accident happen?
Backstory is here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...what-next.html Nobody hurt, just senseless road rage.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Yep. Total it. Buy a new one.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

2016 Z06 Convertible 2LZ MSRP, about $91k. Repair costs for this incident, about $15k. YOU make them "total it."

Backstory is here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...what-next.html Nobody hurt, just senseless road rage.
What sources has the shop contacted? Local dealer?

In NC GMPartsDirect shows the part is available as does Cultragfactoryparts in PA.

I would suggest calling Gene Culley at Cultrag and talking to him about the true availability. He has helped me on multiple occasions when local dealership parts departments were foundering on getting something.

Bill
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

If part can't be sourced from the sources Bill lists above send an email to Mary Barra detailing the situation and how long you've been waiting. POLITELY but FIRMLY express your frustration AND the fact that you find it TOTALLY unacceptable that they are building cars daily for new customers while you car sits and waits.

Been there, done that. Do a search on my user name and "water pump". You might just be surprised by the response you get. I know I was... You just have to know how to rattle the right cages.

Last edited by rikhek; 02-13-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I ran into a similar situation and bought the needed part on ebay. I gave it to the shop and they subtracted it from my out of pocket.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
Yep. Total it. Buy a new one.
not happening, In North Carolina, a vehicle is considered totaled when the costs to repair the car or truck exceed the Actual Cash Value (ACV) by a Total Loss Threshold (TLT) of 75% or more
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
If part can't be sourced from the sources Bill lists above send an email to Mary Barra detailing the situation and how long you've been waiting. POLITELY but FIRMLY express your frustration AND the fact that you find it TOTALLY unacceptable that they are building cars daily for new customers while you car sits and waits.

Been there, done that. Do a search on my user name and "water pump". You might just be surprised by the response you get. I know I was... You just have to know how to rattle the right cages.
Sending a letter or email to the Mary will probably get some sort of action. A long time ago somebody advised me if you ever have a problem with a company, never ever bother talking to a low level Customer contact person. They usually don't have the power or interest to do anything. Always communicate with the top and tell them exactly what it will take to make you happy. Once they know what will make you happy it is easy for them to respond.

Bill
Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What sources has the shop contacted? Local dealer?

In NC GMPartsDirect shows the part is available as does Cultragfactoryparts in PA.

I would suggest calling Gene Culley at Cultrag and talking to him about the true availability. He has helped me on multiple occasions when local dealership parts departments were foundering on getting something.

Bill
Did that, and thanks for the tip, but Gene says there are none loose in-country, not at GM or any dealer. The collision shop says again we're one of four shops nationwide looking for the same thing. GM Parts Direct lists it as special order, not in stock.

​​​​​​Maybe Mary will let me borrow hers! I'm sure it's a 3LZ. I promise I'll wash it.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
not happening, In North Carolina, a vehicle is considered totaled when the costs to repair the car or truck exceed the Actual Cash Value (ACV) by a Total Loss Threshold (TLT) of 75% or more
simple answer is trade it in as is with insurance check and buy a new one.let the dealer worry about fixing it.you may not like it,but it is only money,compared to the hassle and headaches you are going through,and will keep going through if you do not follow this path.been there and done that.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Similar incident posted on Facebook by Collision Safety Consultants.

5 months later and the repair part has been discontinued. Not sure if it's the same part your waiting on. Had to get an attorney and eventually they totaled the vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00003747193561
Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh man, I feel for ya. That has to be so aggravating.

Here is a story, not the same, but crazy nonetheless.

My buddy jumped a green light (not paying attention) and gets t-boned in his Jag F-Type R. His fault and he admitted it. Gets the car to the Jag dealer and they send to their body shop. After a ton of time Jaguar UK tells the body shop that they won't give the process to make the repair (not sure where it was on the car) because it is intellectual property or something like that. Anyhow, long story, he, the dealer and the insurance company just wanted to repair it but in the end they couldn't and the insurance company had to total it.

In my mind if you can't get a part that is "kind of" the same thing???
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

for those of you saying "total it" this is not up to you. Dont care who you are. This is up to your insurance.

I'm having some of the same diffuculties right now getting parts for a 18' ZL1, it's been a month long **** show with the dealer bringing me 1, 2 parts every other day... it's a mess.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Oh man, I feel for ya. That has to be so aggravating.

Here is a story, not the same, but crazy nonetheless.

My buddy jumped a green light (not paying attention) and gets t-boned in his Jag F-Type R. His fault and he admitted it. Gets the car to the Jag dealer and they send to their body shop. After a ton of time Jaguar UK tells the body shop that they won't give the process to make the repair (not sure where it was on the car) because it is intellectual property or something like that. Anyhow, long story, he, the dealer and the insurance company just wanted to repair it but in the end they couldn't and the insurance company had to total it.

In my mind if you can't get a part that is "kind of" the same thing???

trying to understand this, but not quite getting it. ..I t hink maybe Jaguar isn't selling the part because what he needs may be "structural" and if the bodyshop isn't aluminum certified they will not be able to get the parts.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
for those of you saying "total it" this is not up to you. Dont care who you are. This is up to your insurance.

I'm having some of the same diffuculties right now getting parts for a 18' ZL1, it's been a month long **** show with the dealer bringing me 1, 2 parts every other day... it's a mess.
true.insurace company has lastword on total.that is why my solution is the better option.

Get notified of new replies

To 3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART

Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Originally Posted by erick_e
Similar incident posted on Facebook by Collision Safety Consultants.

5 months later and the repair part has been discontinued. Not sure if it's the same part your waiting on. Had to get an attorney and eventually they totaled the vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00003747193561
Holy crap, that sounds like my same part, the rear floor pan, except there are four different part numbers. Mine is a manual transmission convertible, 23294290. Manual coupe is 23294289, automatic coupe is 23294286, automatic convertible is 23294287, each with a different price. Are they all out of circulation? Makes no sense to withhold a $600ish part and scrap the rest of a beloved supercar. Then again, this is GM we're talking about.

I better start making some calls. Like I have nothing else whatsoever to do. Arrrgh.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

That is hard to see, but glad you were ok...and sorry you are still without her. However, how the heck is that onto $15k? My Jeep Grand Cherokee got creamed in the same spot parked in front of my house and it was in low 20’s before they were done. PS - car was 6 months old so even at that much, they wouldn’t total it.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 02-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Agreed with contact Mary Barra. Directly. And remind her this will be the last GM product you ever buy after this experience. And nobody would blame you. It's unacceptable.

her office will rectify issue.

some of us have a phone number of a guy on the corvette team. I will send a text today with a pic and the link. Who knows? Maybe the right people haven't heard about this yet?

I'll pm you when i hear back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART