Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Cam Retainer Bolts Seized

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Cam Retainer Bolts Seized

Finally got around to pulling old K110 out of block. Cam retainer bolts would not budge. An LS specialty shop changed cam out nearly 4 years ago and used the countersunk hole version of retainer plate. Top bolt was not fully seated. Took some forum advice & went with impact in lieu of steady pull. Bottom bolt came out but none of the other 3. Broke 3 impact T-40 bits & have started trying to grind one of them out with a dremel. It doesn't look promising. Don't know if bolts are too long, overtorqued, over-coated with locktite or what. I can't see any color residue on the one I did get out. The 2 end threads on the removed bolt appear flattened which echoes a post I read some place else. I also tried spining them out with a chisel/hammer & also a center punch. At this point only remedy I can come up with is pulling short block from top & taking it to a machine shop. Heads are already off & at AHP.
If anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

Last edited by Les-10; 02-14-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Check with instructions on red Loctite I think you need to heat bolt up with a torch to break the red stuff loose.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by double06
Check with instructions on red Loctite I think you need to heat bolt up with a torch to break the red stuff loose.
Yeah, I see where others have tried that. Am a little paranoid wrt heat as far as damage to cam bearing, etc. Looking at the one bolt that I did get out, the only hint of color on threads I can see is light blue, which matches pictures I have seen on internet of new bolts. The 2 end threads being somewhat smeared makes me think perhaps the bolts were a bit too long.

Last edited by Les-10; 02-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

heat it up and it will come out.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Good luck with heat. Aluminum is a great heat sink, and there is a lot of it.....

I feel your pain, Less. I've been down this road. You need to get the plate pulled over the screws. Then you can get some vise grips onto a few threads. Obviously, that means you need to whittle down the screw head. I used an few drill bits to do that. Start with a bit just large enough to center a pilot hole, in case you need to use an extractor. Drill about half an inch. Then go to a larger bit. Large enough to have enough taper to remove the tapered portion of the screw head. Once you remove just enough, you will be able to pry the cover over the screws. Once off, you should have enough of the screw left to get a small set of vise grips onto it. And if that doesn't work, try an extractor. If that doesn't work, use progressively larger bits to remove the screws, being mindful of the block threads. Don't go any larger than necessary. More often than not, as you start removing the center of a fastener, tension is released and the outer circumference of the fastener will come right out without much effort. The trick is to start out with a small and accurately centered pilot. Then be slow and patient, and don't get angry. You will most likely destroy the plate, but they're cheap. Don't mar the block when prying either. Be gentle.
The following users liked this post:
Les-10 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Michael_D. That'll be my game plan!!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Got It Done!

Ended up having to cut retainer plate at the bolt ears with a dremel cut-off blade. Once ears were cut off, pressure was relieved from countersunk bolt heads & was able to use a chisel & hammer to turn them counter-clockwise & out. The bolts absolutely would not budge before. Now having to deal with making sure no shavings got where they shouldn't be. Don't want to ever have this experience again. Won't be forgetting this one for sure!!!

Last edited by Les-10; 02-25-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I’ve heard of people actually welding a nut to the screws. Between the heat and being able to use a six pt socket it helps
Old 02-25-2018, 03:12 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Does this mean anyone doing a cam swap is better off with the standard bolt style vs countersunk?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Does this mean anyone doing a cam swap is better off with the standard bolt style vs countersunk?
It is my understanding that the older version is extinct & can not be sourced period. At least that's all I've read on it. Possible foul btwn bolt heads & cam sprocket??

Last edited by Les-10; 02-25-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:17 PM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can the "old style" retainer plate bolts be reused?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by big_mike_eu
Can the "old style" retainer plate bolts be reused?
I mocked it up by placing the removed cam sprocket against the cam retainer plate. There was a 5/16" gap, plenty of space for a cap screw head. I don't get it. No way would there be a foul btwn the bolt head and cam sprocket.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

They changed design for the variable timing sprockets to fit.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Les-10
I mocked it up by placing the removed cam sprocket against the cam retainer plate. There was a 5/16" gap, plenty of space for a cap screw head. I don't get it. No way would there be a foul btwn the bolt head and cam sprocket.
I went ahead and ordered the cam kit from AHP which I believe it comes the ARP bolts for the retainer plate (I believe they are not trox). Far down the road (hopefully) when I check on the cam hopefully they won't be seized. AHP said they recommend applying blue Loctite to those bolts upon assembly.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

I went ahead and ordered the cam kit from AHP which I believe it comes the ARP bolts for the retainer plate (I believe they are not trox). Far down the road (hopefully) when I check on the cam hopefully they won't be seized. AHP said they recommend applying blue Loctite to those bolts upon assembly.
I ordered same kit & hoping it contains cap screws also.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Big Mike, your post got me excited since I have their kit coming to me. I just called AHP for my return shipment update & Jake says what we're getting is the same countersunk variety (latest version of the plate & bolts). Oh well!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We use the countersunk plates with our own countersunk bolts. They are countersunk Allen bolts not Torques like the Factory bolts.
We do not like the factory counter sunk cam retainer plate bolts. The factory bolts often jam and are a real pain to get out.
We have never had a single issue removing the countersunk Allen bolts that we supply with our kits even with blue lock tight applied to them. If there was a better bolt we would use it.

As long as you use our cam plate with our countersunk cam plate bolts torqued to 11ft/lbs w/blue lock tight your good to go and will be in the future if you even want to swap cams without any issues.

We always sell the plate with new hardware as opposed to two separate items.

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 02-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by American Heritage:
big_mike_eu (03-02-2018), Les-10 (02-28-2018), rpmextra (03-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Retainer Bolts Seized

Old 03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
big_mike_eu
Instructor

Hey Big Mike, your post got me excited since I have their kit coming to me. I just called AHP for my return shipment update & Jake says what we're getting is the same countersunk variety (latest version of the plate & bolts). Oh well!
Great to hear Les Thanks for confirming about the countersunk plate. I've been thinking about it in the back of my mind ever since you had your retainer plate bolts seize. Now I will get a little piece of mind lol.

Are you getting your heads back soon? I have about one month to go, I am hoping I can get the cam and cam kit before the heads so I cam start assembling things slowly
Old 03-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Great to hear Les Thanks for confirming about the countersunk plate. I've been thinking about it in the back of my mind ever since you had your retainer plate bolts seize. Now I will get a little piece of mind lol.

Are you getting your heads back soon? I have about one month to go, I am hoping I can get the cam and cam kit before the heads so I cam start assembling things slowly
Not soon enough, lol! Jake told me Wednesday that mine may ship next Wednesday. I'm itching to start putting it back together for sure. As far as I know, everything will be in one shipment. Although I didn't ask maybe split-shipping is possible.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:23 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Not soon enough, lol! Jake told me Wednesday that mine may ship next Wednesday. I'm itching to start putting it back together for sure. As far as I know, everything will be in one shipment. Although I didn't ask maybe split-shipping is possible.
Sure we can split up the shipments and ship out our cam kit before the heads. When ordering just let us know and we will make it happen for you.
I know you have already ordered so just send me an email with your info and we will get the cam kit shipped out ahead of the head.

HP@americanheritageperformance.com

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
310-326-2399

Last edited by American Heritage; 03-04-2018 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Les-10 (03-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Cam Retainer Bolts Seized