C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB programming to car

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM
2015 Coupe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Key FOB programming to car

Hello,

I just paid my local Chevy Dealer $207.24 for a replacement Key FOB and a GM laser cut coded key replacement for my 2015 C7 A8 Coupe. I still have one of the original working Key Fob and cut key.

Question, I asked the dealer if I could program the new Key Fob to my car when it came in and they said I'd have to bring the car in and pay to pair it to my car. Is this true?

Can I program the new FOB to the car as I have an existing working FOB? Or does the dealer get more money? How do you program it?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Not true. You can do it yourself. Follow the Long method in this chart. It'll reprogram so you get a 1 & 2 FOB with memory function.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

Long program is steps 1, 2, and then 8 until your done.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2015 Coupe (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

From the 2015 Owner's Manual:

Programming with a Recognized Transmitter: A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there is one recognized transmitter.

1. The vehicle must be off and both the recognized and new transmitters must be with you.
2. Remove the key base from the recognized RKE transmitter.
3. Place the recognized transmitter in the cupholder.
4. Insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder above the license plate.
5. Open the hatch/trunk.
6. Turn the key five times within 10 seconds.
7. The DIC displays READY FOR REMOTE # 3 or 4, up to 8.
8. Place the new transmitter in the steering column transmitter pocket with the buttons facing up and the base toward the opening facing the passenger side.
9. Press the ENGINE START/ STOP button.
10. The DIC displays READY FOR REMOTE # 4 or 5, up to 8.
11. Press K on each newly programmed transmitter to complete the process.
12. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 8– 11. Press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for 12 seconds if programming is complete. Return the key base back into the RKE transmitter.

Programming without a Recognized Transmitter: If there are no currently recognized transmitters available, follow this procedure to program up to eight transmitters. This feature is not available in Canada. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The vehicle must be off and all transmitters to be programmed must be present.

1. The vehicle must be off
2. Remove the key from the transmitter and insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder above the license plate.
3. 3. Open the hatch/trunk.
4. Turn the key five times within 10 seconds. The DIC message displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING PLEASE WAIT.
5. Return key base back into the RKE transmitter.
6. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN, then press the ENGINE START/ STOP button. The DIC reads REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
7. Repeat Step 6 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps. The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE #1.
8. Place the new transmitter in the steering column transmitter pocket with the buttons facing up and the base toward the opening facing the passenger side.
9. Press the ENGINE START/ STOP button. When the transmitter is learned, the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the new transmitter.
10. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press Q or K on the transmitter. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 9– 10. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-13-2018 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
2015 Coupe (02-13-2018), JorgeAM (03-05-2023)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 PM
2015 Coupe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Questions

Bill, Sorry but need a bit of clarification. I don't want to do this wrong.

1. On the "programming without a RKE" option, I assume I would use this to relearn my existing RKE as #1 and the new one as #2 correct?

2. What happens in step #6 to complete the step so you can repeat 2 more times? Is it a the second press of the engine start/stop button?

3. When placing the RKE in the steering column, it is buttons up, and the chrome key portion of the RKE out toward the passenger side? Or is the "base" the other end of the RKE?

4. What is press Q or K on the transmitter/RKE?

5. On step 10, do you repeat steps 8-10 instead of 9-10. I assume you would place the second RKE in the steering column? Or does it just need to be near?

Thanks,

Ron

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
From the 2015 Owner's Manual:

Programming with a Recognized Transmitter: A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there is one recognized transmitter.

1. The vehicle must be off and both the recognized and new transmitters must be with you.
2. Remove the key base from the recognized RKE transmitter.
3. Place the recognized transmitter in the cupholder.
4. Insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder above the license plate.
5. Open the hatch/trunk.
6. Turn the key five times within 10 seconds.
7. The DIC displays READY FOR REMOTE # 3 or 4, up to 8.
9. Press the ENGINE START/ STOP button.
10. The DIC displays READY FOR REMOTE # 4 or 5, up to 8.
11. Press K on each newly programmed transmitter to complete the process.
12. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 8– 11. Press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for 12 seconds if programming is complete. Return the key base back into the RKE transmitter.

Programming without a Recognized Transmitter: If there are no currently recognized transmitters available, follow this procedure to program up to eight transmitters. This feature is not available in Canada. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The vehicle must be off and all transmitters to be programmed must be present.

1. The vehicle must be off
2. Remove the key from the transmitter and insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder above the license plate.
3. 3. Open the hatch/trunk.
4. Turn the key five times within 10 seconds. The DIC message displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING PLEASE WAIT.
5. Return key base back into the RKE transmitter.
6. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN, then press the ENGINE START/ STOP button. The DIC reads REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
7. Repeat Step 6 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps. The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE #1.
9. Press the ENGINE START/ STOP button. When the transmitter is learned, the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the new transmitter.
10. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press Q or K on the transmitter. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 9– 10. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button for approximately 12 seconds to exit programming mode.

Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by 2015 Coupe
Bill, Sorry but need a bit of clarification. I don't want to do this wrong.

1. On the "programming without a RKE" option, I assume I would use this to relearn my existing RKE as #1 and the new one as #2 correct?

2. What happens in step #6 to complete the step so you can repeat 2 more times? Is it a the second press of the engine start/stop button?

3. When placing the RKE in the steering column, it is buttons up, and the chrome key portion of the RKE out toward the passenger side? Or is the "base" the other end of the RKE?

4. What is press Q or K on the transmitter/RKE?

5. On step 10, do you repeat steps 8-10 instead of 9-10. I assume you would place the second RKE in the steering column? Or does it just need to be near?

Thanks,

Ron
1) long adds as 1-8

short adds 3-8

2) The three button pushes clear the recorded information on the FOBs and it is then ready to learn new FOB information 1-8

3) Buttons up, key ring slot toward passenger door

4) When someone copies directly from the Owner's Manual, there are pictures or symbols in the PDF. They don't show up as pictures when copied and turn into a letter. "Q" is a picture of a lock and "K" is a picture of an open lock.

5) You press the start/stop button for the process to recognize the next FOB. When you are done programming, hold the start/stop button in for 12 seconds to exit the programming session.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

I complete 8 but 9 never comes? The DIC never displays that its ready for the new transmitter.

when i insert the fob into the column how long do i have to wait till it is ready? It is extremely fustrating.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by AceG
I complete 8 but 9 never comes? The DIC never displays that its ready for the new transmitter.

when i insert the fob into the column how long do i have to wait till it is ready? It is extremely fustrating.
Well, since you are coming in with a new situation and adding it to an old thread, I really don't know what you are trying to do.

If you are doing the long program, the first rule that you should follow is the one in RED that says NO FOB ANYWHERE near the car.

SO, what is your problem and we can proceed from there.

Elmer
Old 09-25-2018, 11:19 AM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Well, since you are coming in with a new situation and adding it to an old thread, I really don't know what you are trying to do.

If you are doing the long program, the first rule that you should follow is the one in RED that says NO FOB ANYWHERE near the car.

SO, what is your problem and we can proceed from there.

Elmer

I am doing the long program. Lost both trasnmitters. What do you mean no fob anywhere near the car?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by AceG
I am doing the long program. Lost both trasnmitters. What do you mean no fob anywhere near the car?
You've lost BOTH FOB devices? Do you have the key for the FOB? Normally, to do the long program, you would remove the key from the FOB and then place the FOBs 10' or more away from the car and then insert the key into the trunk key slot location and begin the 5 quick turns of the key to start the programming. If you have the FOB in your hand or pants pocket, the car will sense it and it will cause difficulty doing the long program.

Elmer
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

You've lost BOTH FOB devices? Do you have the key for the FOB? Normally, to do the long program, you would remove the key from the FOB and then place the FOBs 10' or more away from the car and then insert the key into the trunk key slot location and begin the 5 quick turns of the key to start the programming. If you have the FOB in your hand or pants pocket, the car will sense it and it will cause difficulty doing the long program.

Elmer

Okay this is interesting. So this is what i did.

i purchased an old fob from a member on this forum and it is a auto coupe.

I did the 5 key turn and followed the steps all the way to 9 with the transmitter IN the car.

It says learning keyfob pending and so forth.

I get to step number 8 where i put the fob into the column and press engine start. Thats where nothing changes after that.

are you saying because i had the fob with me in the car, it is being improperly programmed?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl

At step 9, you briefly push the engine start button and get this action DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. Did you get the message and the start of the 10 minute countdown?

Also, did you notice AND pay attention to the really big red letters in step 8? NOTE: Make sure NO old remote transmitters are anywhere near the car. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
NOTE: It is recommended that you test the Steering Column slot for functionality before going past this step. If the SC doesn’t function, you will be on a tow truck to the dealer to get your remotes programmed.

Elmer
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

At step 9, you briefly push the engine start button and get this action DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. Did you get the message and the start of the 10 minute countdown?

Also, did you notice AND pay attention to the really big red letters in step 8? NOTE: Make sure NO old remote transmitters are anywhere near the car. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
NOTE: It is recommended that you test the Steering Column slot for functionality before going past this step. If the SC doesn’t function, you will be on a tow truck to the dealer to get your remotes programmed.

Elmer
I did do a countdown. After step 7, I placed the transmitter into the column slot the correct way and pressed the start button and counted down. Nothing appears after that.

On the side note there is no warnings from the owner manual
Old 09-25-2018, 12:51 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Oh my word.....
Lets get on the same page, shall we?

Please open this link!!!! It is in post #2 http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c7/C7RKEProgramming.pdf

This is why a new thread should be started on a new problem.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-25-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

No old transmitters were near the car when i attempted this because they have been lost. Only the one new remitter im trying to have programmed
Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Do not have any transmitters in, on, around, or close to the car. Close is inside of 10'. Around is within 10'. In and On are self explanatory.

Then take it from the top and give it a whirl. By that I mean stop the process. Start it over. Have only the key near the car.

When you put the FOB in the slot, place your finger on the end of the FOB and push and hold it lightly into the slot.

The instructions work. Many people have read, followed and successfully programmed FOBs anew as FOB 1 & 2. The instructions must be followed to the letter. That's why there is all the RED stuff on the link.

Elmer
Old 09-25-2018, 02:10 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Do not have any transmitters in, on, around, or close to the car. Close is inside of 10'. Around is within 10'. In and On are self explanatory.

Then take it from the top and give it a whirl. By that I mean stop the process. Start it over. Have only the key near the car.

When you put the FOB in the slot, place your finger on the end of the FOB and push and hold it lightly into the slot.

The instructions work. Many people have read, followed and successfully programmed FOBs anew as FOB 1 & 2. The instructions must be followed to the letter. That's why there is all the RED stuff on the link.

Elmer

Thank you for taking your time to respond.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
eboggs_jkvl

No problem. If the instructions are followed AND, this is really important, you must have the correct part number for FOB that goes with your car. All this work is moot if you don't have the correct FOB.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB programming to car

Old 03-06-2020, 07:35 PM
KC - Grand Sport
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should alarm sound?

Should my car alarm sound after opening trunk and door while waiting for 10 minutes to get to step 6 on long program?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:32 PM
KC - Grand Sport
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured it out...on long program anyway you have to have the FOB at least 10 feet away from the car to get the message that car is ready to learn to appear. Finally looked up more info on this forum after failing to figure it out for 20 minutes.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl

When I said the FOBs must not be close to the car, I meant NOT close to the car. That sucker is sensitive!

From my instructions:

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-06-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Key FOB programming to car