C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars

So... anyone running the complete flowmaster force II? Ive read on here just installing flowmaster mufflers alone will lead to droning so Im only considering the whole deal.. besides its reasonably priced.

Can anyone give me comments? Specifically im interested in...

Tone at Idle

Volume at idle

cabin sound while just cruising on local streets with top up/roof on..

cabin sound while just cruising on local streets with roof off..

Does the exhaust note sound tuned or does it sound like an untuned open v8 exhaust?

It seems like it is not as low sounding as a magnaflow.. correct observation? Im just listening to youtube.

Glad you stuck with proper rectangular tips?

After much thought, Ive decided at this time to leave stock manifold and cats in place. Ive heard no real good about removing cats because low end power is lost on the lt1.. so please indicate if you have left all of this alone.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Good luck

Last edited by FASTAZU; 02-14-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the '96 I bought recently came with flowcrappers. Don't know if it's the whole system but the drone is real bad. Would have removed them already but they welded the mufflers on. I may try some dynamat on the rear compartment first before I have to spend money on a new exhaust.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:02 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by pacoW
the '96 I bought recently came with flowcrappers. Don't know if it's the whole system but the drone is real bad. Would have removed them already but they welded the mufflers on. I may try some dynamat on the rear compartment first before I have to spend money on a new exhaust.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mufflers.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stem-free.html
Old 02-14-2018, 06:34 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Sorry I replied to wrong message./. Im looking for feedback on the entire system not just a set of random flowmasters connected to god knows what..

Im looking for feedback specifically on the force II..

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-14-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

If you dont have a resonance center pipe then it is not the entire system.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I've ran the Flowmaster Force II cat-back on my 94 for over 20 years. At first I ran it with the factory manifolds and cats. Then with Hooker Shorties and stock cats. Finally with EM Headers and bullet cats.

My car is a M6 and from what I remember a small amount of resonance with the Force II and factory exhaust setup at cruise. If you have an A4 may get drone at highway speeds. Eventually I went with the EM setup and 4.10 gears, no drone.

IMHO, the best sounding C4 LT1 cat-back. Loud at WOT, but not too loud. Powerful sound at cruise, and just a little drone.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:58 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I've ran the Flowmaster Force II cat-back on my 94 for over 20 years. At first I ran it with the factory manifolds and cats. Then with Hooker Shorties and stock cats. Finally with EM Headers and bullet cats.

My car is a M6 and from what I remember a small amount of resonance with the Force II and factory exhaust setup at cruise. If you have an A4 may get drone at highway speeds. Eventually I went with the EM setup and 4.10 gears, no drone.

IMHO, the best sounding C4 LT1 cat-back. Loud at WOT, but not too loud. Powerful sound at cruise, and just a little drone.
Do you remember what your idle was like with factory manifolds and cats? You sure have been thru trials and tribulations! this is my first mod and Im planning long term to go with lt headers and a cam.. so trying to buy something that I wont be replacing. I also want to go with a 3.59 rear gear. 4.10 might be a bit much but maybe not too.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:03 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Have you tried u-tube for any sound clips or reviews? I changed to Corsa and love them no drone at any RPM and very loud at WOT.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Mild powerful sound at idle.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
Have you tried u-tube for any sound clips or reviews? I changed to Corsa and love them no drone at any RPM and very loud at WOT.
I have the Corsa system on my '96 LT4 and it is very good, no drone period. I think there may be a difference in drone levels between the coupe and the roadster (more volume to drone in the coupe). Mine is a roadster with the hardtop.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FASTAZU

I have with earbuds. Personally have not been drawn to the "corsa" sound but in person is likely different.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Mild powerful sound at idle.

Thanks.. I may go with the force 2.. It seems to have a very distinct rev sound.

I think without a cam and maybe even long tube headers I wont be satisfied in the end though.

The last thing I want is a burbling pickup truck sound which is what I hear on most cars on youtube where the resonator was removed and whatever deal of the week on mufflers were installed.

Sounds very "untuned" to me if that makes any sense.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
I have the Corsa system on my '96 LT4 and it is very good, no drone period. I think there may be a difference in drone levels between the coupe and the roadster (more volume to drone in the coupe). Mine is a roadster with the hardtop.
my 96 LT4 came with the original exhaust replaced with "short", 2 chamber Flowmasters, and no resonator and it was the worst exhaust system ever; now the complete Flowmaster setup, which I believe has a resonator and the larger three chamber mufflers may be better; don't know. The Corsa was pricey but it works exactly as "advertised" as in it Corsa was the only manufacturer to include the word "quiet" in it's ad.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by barchetta1
The last thing I want is a burbling pickup truck sound which is what I hear on most cars on youtube where the resonator was removed and whatever deal of the week on mufflers were installed.

Sounds very "untuned" to me if that makes any sense.
You won't get this with the Force II system.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

You won't get this with the Force II system.
ok.. thanks.. I dont think Id get it with any cat back system really.. I do wonder about going on the cheap with the same 60 series mufflers and my stock resonator. I think essentially the resonator is located in a position to handle drone. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: anyone know what it looks like inside a stock Lt1 resonator?

Disregard.. I guess this is it.. cut down the middle so the two halves FOLD together.. looks really restrictive to me and looks like it would really "mix up" the pulses.. but again, what do I know? CERTAINLY it creates back pressure due to the drastic reduction in tube size.. but this is sometimes a very GOOD thing.
Attached Images  

Last edited by barchetta1; 02-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 PM
dolbnyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it

Inside the car it is louder but outside the car its barely louder than stock. Not sure what these are going for now but I got my car with it already installed at about 60K miles, not sure how long it was on there before that but I have 145K now and its still in great shape. At the time the exhaust was only $399. I plan on getting a different system when I do the motor over.
I would try something different like corsa or B&B Fusion with the controller for quiet mode. Someone posted that earlier.

Last edited by dolbnyc; 02-17-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars

Old 02-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Skippy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Force II on my Grand Sport. It's been on the car for a few years now. I really, really like the system. My car doesn't have any mods other than the exhaust. The sound is pretty quiet cruising down the highway, but wakes up considerably over stock exhaust when running through the gears. Very good combination of sound characteristics, in my opinion. The sound is not like you hear on two-chamber Flowmaster mufflers which impart kind of an "old truck driving down the road" sound if you know what I mean. Here is a quick video, sorry, it's all I have:

My exhaust was stock when I bought the car in 2003. After a few years, I wanted something with a little more sound.

I went with Magnaflow stainless mufflers (part number 15623) welded to the stock exhaust, and the drone was horrible on long road trips. Coming back from Corvettes at Carlyle to Illinois back in 2006 (over 10 hour trip) convinced me to make a change. My ears were ringing for an entire day after that trip!

I recommend the Force II. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Have sound clips by any chance? I’m interegued by the system after your comments.

Not much info/videos floating around with the force 2 and long tubes. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Have sound clips by any chance? I’m interegued by the system after your comments.

Not much info/videos floating around with the force 2 and long tubes. Thanks.
Sorry, no sound clips. But, if you're ever near Stl stop by and take it for a spin.
The following users liked this post:
9T3VETTE (02-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Flowmaster force II on Lt1 cars