Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing front fender liners

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Replacing front fender liners

Hello

I figured I'd post it here instead of the C5 section, if it needs to be moved, please go ahead.

Looking for information on replacing damaged front fender liners for a race car build.

The car I'm looking at needs new fender liners on both sides, and they are bonded in from the factory.
Looks like a major job - or is it?

If anyone has replaced them, please chime in!

DK
Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 PM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced the passenger liner in my car after hitting a cold cone at higher speed at an autocross. Its a time consuming job but not super difficult. Old one has to be chiseled off the frame. Leave some pieces of the adhesive behind so you know how far off the frame pieces to space the new one. Clamp in place and fit up the headlight and fender and check gaps before you bond the new one in place. Then use the adjustment on the fender and headlight covers to get the gaps back to normal.
The following users liked this post:
D K (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

heat gut will break down the adhesive, but replacements can be expensive. If you buy used, make sure they were removed properly. It really easier to just add a few fresh layers of fiberglass than to replace them, just take off the fenders and lay a few new layers one top. You'll likely end up with some "self clearancing" eventually
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've replaced one in my garage. Same technique as v10climber mentions - chiseled off the old adhesive (its about 1/8 in thick), leaving behind a few bits to aid in spacing and alignment. Getting the new liner lined up exactly is difficult but I managed to do it.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 PM
D K
Pro

My car has accident damage where the nose went under a truck and the weight took out all brackets and braces that were connected to the frame rails.
So headlight mounts, hood mounts ecu (pcm) mounts, anything besides the main longitudinal frame rail is gone.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Tim Dorsch
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
Hello

I figured I'd post it here instead of the C5 section, if it needs to be moved, please go ahead.

Looking for information on replacing damaged front fender liners for a race car build.

The car I'm looking at needs new fender liners on both sides, and they are bonded in from the factory.
Looks like a major job - or is it?

If anyone has replaced them, please chime in!

DK
Salvage Car to Track (day) Star....yes it was an enjoyable winter project for me.
The inner fenderwells are expensive (used) and tricky to install. I ended up attaching the fender to the inner fender and then mocked up and drilled a few pilot holes as markers for the proper fitment.
I then removed the fender and installed the inner fender using said
alignment holes with screws to hold everything in place until the adhesive dried. When it's all set up just remove the screws and fill the holes.

I bought the inner fenders from Contemporary Corvette in PA....it's very important that someone knows how to remove them without damage. They also sell frame sections as I needed a new header bar as well.

The 3M adhesive is expensive but the special gut to fit the cartridge is
around $400.00 I borrowed one from a local bodyshop.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
D K (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM
D K
Pro

thank you.

I think buying entire front clip will be easier/cheaper/more straightforward (no pun intended)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Dorsch
The 3M adhesive is expensive but the special gut to fit the cartridge is
around $400.00 I borrowed one from a local bodyshop.
Lord Fusor is what was recommended in a few places on Corvette Forums and what I bought/used. The gun to dispense it wasn't that expensive. Like $45 off ebay if I remember correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing front fender liners

Quick Reply: Replacing front fender liners