C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 + Automatic Transmission (A6)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default 2006 + Automatic Transmission (A6)

So guys I have a simple, yet complicated question:

WHAT type of Service needs to be done for A6 transmission? Most cars with AT tranny take it to a shop and get it done. But when it comes to Corvettes, BMW, Mercedes, I have noticed people on both sides of the fence have STRONG opinions -

1. Modern AT transmissions don't need service...at least not till 100K miles.

2. If you get any AT transmission fluid replaced (drain & fill/flushed), it could cause problems because tiny particles move around and could get stuck in a wrong place causing malfunctions in the tranny. (I had added Transgo kit to my C5 with 20K miles and replaced the AT fluid. Car was running strong till 82K miles until an accident).

3. You should get the tranny filter changed with drain & fill only - not complete flush.

4. No, you should get the filter changed and get the entire tranny fluid flushed - especially if your car has low miles so that it would last longer and wash out any particles there are.

5. Just don't touch the tranny or do any service, these cars will go 200K miles without a hick up.

ALL this is so darn confusing. So what do you A4/A6 (auto) tranny guys do, and what have been the results.
Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-15-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:23 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Ok, I'll be the first to say..."what does it state in the owner's manual?"

If i recall...fluid change at 50k for severe duty...100k otherwise.

I am doing a fluid/filter change every 50. No flushing.
The following users liked this post:
bigthaw (12-20-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Owners take Corvettes to shops for trans service because you can't fill the old, easy way with a fill tube and dipstick. Most shops don't even know how to correctly fill a Corvette transmission.

1-Wrong. 50k intervals.
2-Wrong. Too many online "experts" simply don't know facts.
3-Correct. Flush not needed. you flush your toilet.
4-Yes/No. Always change filter and do normal fluid change/drain.
5-Wrong. 50k mile service interval no matter the driving style.

Transmission shop owner/operator for 40 years here. I never "flushed" an auto transmission and I owned dozens of auto trans vehicles and never had to replace an auto transmission.

The problem is that too many "experts" keep repeating incorrect solutions that simply are not true and this BS keeps getting repeated by other "experts" so it must be true.

Classic suggestion from an internet "expert" years ago. Person posted question and asked what could have happened to his GM Blazer auto trans that had LOST FORWARD completely. I asked a few questions, does vehicle still hold park and shift thru all detents with shifter? yes, does trans still have reverse? yes, Is trans full of fluid? yes. Then problem IS INTERNAL and trans has to come out.

Several experts chimed in and told him to "flush trans not once but twice and add 2 bottle of Lucas trans fix!" THE TRANS HAD NO FORWARD, NONE, it was done. But he continued to get this expert advise.

Last edited by J.Moore; 02-15-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I service my Corvette to what the service manual recommends.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I followed the 100k service interval for 1st service. Now do it every 50k. Fluid and filter change, no flush. At 198,250 miles with no problems.
bigthaw (12-20-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet

Per the 2006 Owner's Manual:

Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (severe service). See footnote (h). - Change at 50K, 100K & 150K miles

Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (normal service). Change at 100K miles

Footnote (h): Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− Uses such as high performance operation.

As I live in an area where temps reach 100 degrees plus during the summer months, I had mine changed at 50K miles and will do it again in a few months when it hits 100K

Last edited by Welker1; 02-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
bigthaw (12-20-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet

I have a manual but I like your style!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
If i recall...fluid change at 50k for severe duty...100k otherwise. I am doing a fluid/filter change every 50. No flushing.
So you're doing only filter change and replacing the lost fluid with new, not flushing all the old fluid for new? And what type of fluid are you using?

Originally Posted by wayback
I followed the 100k service interval for 1st service. Now do it every 50k. Fluid and filter change, no flush. At 198,250 miles with no problems.
Seems nobody is flushing the entire old fluid for new one. I won't why the dealer still offers that service then? Just as we do engine oil change, it makes sense to replace the entire "old" tranny fluid for new one - I am just trying to make sense of it. Why wouldn't you want fresh fluid for next 50K miles?

Originally Posted by Welker1
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (normal service). Change at 100K miles. Footnote (h): Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− Uses such as high performance operation.

As I live in an area where temps reach 100 degrees plus during the summer months, I had mine changed at 50K miles and will do it again in a few months when it hits 100K

California gets over 90 often in summer. I would rather do the tranny service sooner than later, since I don't know it's past history. With lower miles though, I am not so worried, but just planning ahead before this summer comes around...
Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

On a side note: Anyone using a TRANSGO KIT in their A6?

I had it in my C5 and loved it - it was like automatic on steroids.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-16-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Owners take Corvettes to shops for trans service because you can't fill the old, easy way with a fill tube and dipstick. Most shops don't even know how to correctly fill a Corvette transmission.

1-Wrong. 50k intervals.

Transmission shop owner/operator for 40 years here. I never "flushed" an auto transmission and I owned dozens of auto trans vehicles and never had to replace an auto transmission.

The problem is that too many "experts" keep repeating incorrect solutions that simply are not true and this BS keeps getting repeated by other "experts" so it must be true.

Classic suggestion from an internet "expert" years ago. Person posted question and asked what could have happened to his GM Blazer auto trans that had LOST FORWARD completely. I asked a few questions, does vehicle still hold park and shift thru all detents with shifter? yes, does trans still have reverse? yes, Is trans full of fluid? yes. Then problem IS INTERNAL and trans has to come out.

Several experts chimed in and told him to "flush trans not once but twice and add 2 bottle of Lucas trans fix!" THE TRANS HAD NO FORWARD, NONE, it was done. But he continued to get this expert advise.
I'm hijacking this thread a little, but maybe someone else has had the same thing. My 08 had 77k miles when I bought it. I checked the GM VIS report and it said the car had the 1-2-3-4 clutch pack replaced at 32k miles. What makes these go bad? I was told the car had never been raced and it didn't have any modifications. Thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I would drop pan and replace filter. It’s very strange that the chevy dealer said that they flush the trans only. They said there is no filter to change. I couldn’t believe that. They just do not care.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

1-Wrong. 50k intervals.

I guess you are more of an expert than those who wrote the manual. Normal operation recommendation is 100K miles. THAT is what the experts say. If you want to be cautious, there is nothing wrong with 50K intervals, but don't call out folks as not knowing what they are saying simply because you choose a different interval.

Agree with all else you said.

Just my .02 worth
Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I guess you are more of an expert than those who wrote the manual. Normal operation recommendation is 100K miles. THAT is what the experts say. If you want to be cautious, there is nothing wrong with 50K intervals, but don't call out folks as not knowing what they are saying simply because you choose a different interval.

Agree with all else you said.

Just my .02 worth
I never claimed I was more of an expert than those that wrote the manual. Besides, more than a few errors have been noticed in the manual. THAT is fact. Experts? Are those the same people that state the manual 6 speed never needs the fluid changed from it? No thanks, I'll do things to MY schedule. My 6 speed had never had the oil changed and it was nasty brown color at 73k miles. I drained and refilled with fresh Dexron 3. Owners manual says it never needs service, you agree with that?

I was in the business for 40 years, trans fluid can and does break down well before 100k miles. So, these "experts" can be and are in fact wrong at times.

I'll open another can of worms, owners manual experts say that Mobil 1 syn is the best oil for your engine, do you agree with that too?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I never claimed I was more of an expert than those that wrote the manual. Besides, more than a few errors have been noticed in the manual. THAT is fact. Experts? Are those the same people that state the manual 6 speed never needs the fluid changed from it? No thanks, I'll do things to MY schedule. My 6 speed had never had the oil changed and it was nasty brown color at 73k miles. I drained and refilled with fresh Dexron 3. Owners manual says it never needs service, you agree with that?

I was in the business for 40 years, trans fluid can and does break down well before 100k miles. So, these "experts" can be and are in fact wrong at times.

I'll open another can of worms, owners manual experts say that Mobil 1 syn is the best oil for your engine, do you agree with that too?
What is better than Mobil 1, and are there independent lab tests on it? The way most vette owners I know drive, they could probably use baby oil and be just fine. BTW, did you see my question about clutch pack I posted after one of your posts?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

LOL....Sounds like you got the ol "All forum members know what they are talking about" blues... Thats the great thing about all this techno stuff.....e. mail.....forums.....fart phones....etc....etc. Everyone can claim to be an expert but no one really knows who knows what....LOL. On your oil question....I've heard that if you don't use Mobile-1 that your engine may blow up...... Kinda like my Harley as they suggest use only Harley oil or you may be asking for trouble....LOL. Hang in there....it only gets better !!!!....
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM
harleypower69
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides my 2011 GS, A6 I also run a European inline 6 cylinder diesel. Believe it or not these same questions arise. European dealer says transmission has, "lifetime fluid". What the hell I asked. I researched and found that ZF is the transmission manufacturer and that they want a 60K fluid and filter change - no flush. I always bring it to a ZF approved shop and have excellent results. I suggest researching what our A6 manufacturer recommends is the best policy and following their reccomendations.

EDIT to add - Our diesel vehicles are saddles with horrendous emissions controls which lead to carbon deposition and turbo degradation. Extensive research has shown the Mobil 1 to be the best oil for reducing carbon deposits in a diesel engine. I use it in all my vehicles.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montman
What is better than Mobil 1, and are there independent lab tests on it? The way most vette owners I know drive, they could probably use baby oil and be just fine. BTW, did you see my question about clutch pack I posted after one of your posts?
Doesn't your car have the 6L80E trans? I think it does and that is one GM trans we didn't rebuild so I have no experience on that unit.

I changed the oil in my LS2 last October, PO had it changed 5000 miles prior as I had the receipt but I did it just because and you know what oil I used?...Mobil 1. I guess if GM says so.. Seems that I remember reading 3,433 posts about opinions on oils better than Mobil 1. I might try a different brand next time, I dunno.

I'm really not trying to start arguments with members here as I get along with everybody except my Democratic thinking wife (even though she voted Trump). Hey, it's all good guys,,,
Cheers and here's to good health..

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 + Automatic Transmission (A6)

Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Anybody who puts black wheels on their C6 is a complete, total, clueless jerk and should not be allowed to live.

Name:  3fG3nhs.gif
Views: 292
Size:  8.6 KB <--- black wheel peeps

Attachment 48337678

Old 02-18-2018, 01:43 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
So you're doing only filter change and replacing the lost fluid with new, not flushing all the old fluid for new? And what type of fluid are you using?

Seems nobody is flushing the entire old fluid for new one. I won't why the dealer still offers that service then? Just as we do engine oil change, it makes sense to replace the entire "old" tranny fluid for new one - I am just trying to make sense of it. Why wouldn't you want fresh fluid for next 50K miles?

California gets over 90 often in summer. I would rather do the tranny service sooner than later, since I don't know it's past history. With lower miles though, I am not so worried, but just planning ahead before this summer comes around...
My service dealership advises against trans flush as it can dislodge sludge and create more problems than it cures. They have treated me right so far so I have no reason to doubt them.

If your worried about leaving some old fluid in there you could do a filter/Fluid change then do it again in a few hundred miles. Personally I would not worry about it. The A6 is a very robust transmission.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

After changing AT fluid and filter at 102k in my daily, a fluid port got plugged about 6k later and starved a bushing and cost $1800 for labor and rebuild.
I change trans fluid and filter ever 25k in my new vehicles now. It’s prob overkill but still cheaper to me in the end.

Last edited by Curt D; 02-18-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 + Automatic Transmission (A6)