C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only HP crazy guy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Am I the only HP crazy guy?

I belong of to a car club like maybe most of you do. In fact I wonder what is the percentage?? No matter, always some drama in every organization.
Our club has about 40 couples and know one except me seems to be into
HP modding. I’m 71 and still a kid I guess, most people in our club drive
Like their in assisted living!! Maybe it’s just me? What say you? Lol
The following users liked this post:
cgladish (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I'm not quite that old, but I have plans on adding a S/C to my car this year, so no, not just you.
hotrod03 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I love horsepower and driving hard.
No interest in clubs at all.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Yay!!!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Bought my '12 GS with S/C. I do belong to a very active club. The car is my DD, and I'm 75 yrs young. I do auto-x, but I never get out of 2nd gear. Other than that it is a rare occasion that I get to here the S/C kick in. Very when it does.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I just turned 40 last year. I've been in the local club for about 7 years now. I redesigned their entire website. The old one was garbage. Average age of club is probably about 58. I'd say 95% of the club are just waxers. They spend all their time showing their cars and keeping them clean, and want nothing to do with modding them. Almost none of them even change their own oil. I'm just the opposite. I mod my cars to make them the way I want. I don't think any car is perfect from the factory. Whether it's lighting, the radio, wheels, or power - there's always something you can do to make your rider better. IMO.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Hp modding

Originally Posted by hotrod03
I belong of to a car club like maybe most of you do. In fact I wonder what is the percentage?? No matter, always some drama in every organization.
Our club has about 40 couples and know one except me seems to be into
HP modding. I’m 71 and still a kid I guess, most people in our club drive
Like their in assisted living!! Maybe it’s just me? What say you? Lol

while I'm only 55yrs old, I haven't yet lost the HP bug.
I haven't yet played with upgrading the power yet, that's only because my last car ( '98 Z-28 ), was mildly / heavily modified. my dad bought it new and daily drove it, as well as drag raced it ( 11.92 @ 121mph ) with over 275k miles on it! after he passed away i took over the reins for another 4 yrs & 70k miles ( also changed from an A4 to M6 ). it got to be a "whack a mole" car after a while. so when i sold it & got my C6, i decided to keep it as stock as i can, for as long as i can.

i tried a car club run once, and decided that that was not for me.
drive for a while, stop for a while. i want to just get up and drive.
i put as many miles on the vette on a Saturday, as i do during my commute run. 300 - 600 miles on sat or sun drive is what i live for.

thanks dad!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Will always be a HP junkie. Started when I walked out of the license office at 16 years old which was somewhere around 45 (??...) years ago....LOL. Don't ever plan on losing the desire....but must admit that I don't flaunt it like I use to......
Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hp junkie

Originally Posted by windyC6
Will always be a HP junkie. Started when I walked out of the license office at 16 years old which was somewhere around 45 (??...) years ago....LOL. Don't ever plan on losing the desire....but must admit that I don't flaunt it like I use to......

I find that I have to keep myself in the moment, and not get too caught up in the excitement, especially on the freeway.
really easy to look up and see triple digits on HUD.

I cringe every time I hear about the upcoming self driving cars.
if those ever become mandatory, that's when I turn keys in.

fight the good fight!
The following 2 users liked this post by cgladish:
hotrod03 (02-15-2018), seijack (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:20 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cgladish
while I'm only 55yrs old, I haven't yet lost the HP bug.
I haven't yet played with upgrading the power yet, that's only because my last car ( '98 Z-28 ), was mildly / heavily modified. my dad bought it new and daily drove it, as well as drag raced it ( 11.92 @ 121mph ) with over 275k miles on it! after he passed away i took over the reins for another 4 yrs & 70k miles ( also changed from an A4 to M6 ). it got to be a "whack a mole" car after a while. so when i sold it & got my C6, i decided to keep it as stock as i can, for as long as i can.

i tried a car club run once, and decided that that was not for me.
drive for a while, stop for a while. i want to just get up and drive.
i put as many miles on the vette on a Saturday, as i do during my commute run. 300 - 600 miles on sat or sun drive is what i live for.

thanks dad!

Great reply thanks!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
I just turned 40 last year. I've been in the local club for about 7 years now. I redesigned their entire website. The old one was garbage. Average age of club is probably about 58. I'd say 95% of the club are just waxers. They spend all their time showing their cars and keeping them clean, and want nothing to do with modding them. Almost none of them even change their own oil. I'm just the opposite. I mod my cars to make them the way I want. I don't think any car is perfect from the factory. Whether it's lighting, the radio, wheels, or power - there's always something you can do to make your rider better. IMO.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I own a supercharged Corvette now but to be honest it almost never sees boost. I take exceptional care of it instead LOL I like to have the power on tap and it sure sounds like a fighter jet.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slowstang305
I own a supercharged Corvette now but to be honest it almost never sees boost. I take exceptional care of it instead LOL I like to have the power on tap and it sure sounds like a fighter jet.
I love the “on tap thing”
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
there's always something you can do to make your rider better..
Yeah, that "rider" mod is always the best one.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Tony, you won't believe this. (well, maybe you will).

I've NEVER been a "joiner," whether clubs or any other commitment like that.

A couple of lives ago my ex-wife talked me into joining a summer bowling league. She was always more interested in bowling than I was, but I reluctantly said I would try it.

I absolutely HATED it. Every friggin' Tuesday night we had to go bowling. On hot summer nights I wanted to go bar-hopping on the motorcycle, but couldn't do that. Couldn't even take the bike to the bowling alley, trying to juggle two bowling *****.

I hated it so much that my average went down as the summer went on, just didn't care and didn't try. But we ended up meeting some other couples and still managed to consume quite a bit of beer.

The Rochester Corvette Club has been around as long as I can remember (nearly since Vettes came out?) but I have zero interest in joining.

Still love the rush of acceleration (at age 67) but too tired and burned out to do anything more than leaving it stock.

Attachment 48333511

Last edited by Bruze; 02-15-2018 at 11:33 AM.
hotrod03 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

We have a GM club thats pretty chill around here and do track days, luckily enough one of the guys has family ties with the owner of the drag strip close to us. Other than that its pretty much little gay ricer kids with their stupid hondas and cambered out wheels. Im only 31 and plan on twin turboing my car one day, im all about more power.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hp

Originally Posted by EviLS7
We have a GM club thats pretty chill around here and do track days, luckily enough one of the guys has family ties with the owner of the drag strip close to us. Other than that its pretty much little gay ricer kids with their stupid hondas and cambered out wheels. Im only 31 and plan on twin turboing my car one day, im all about more power.

I would like to, and probably will at some point be adding some tweaks to the car. but after 40yrs of "late night gotta get to work repairs",
I'm going to enjoy for a while, just getting in, starting and getting out!

when it starts needing some major repairs, then i'll pony up and get back to wrenching. until then, i'll enjoy what I've got!

I have been toying around with maybe picking up a 2nd 'vette to play with. I try to drive the current one to work, one day a week.
but it keeps getting harder to resist making it a DD.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I the only HP crazy guy?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just turned 41 this past winter & have owned 23 cars since turning 16. I've modded nearly every one of them in one way, shape or form & plan to add more power to the Vette over time too. I've been part of clubs in the past and they were fun for weekend cruises, or drag strip nights, but now I don't have a spare minute to be an active member in clubs whether for the Vette or my wife's Jeep Wrangler (which also has a big club presence).

I'm also in a weird place, maybe because I've become more responsible as I've aged, but I don't plan to necessarily race the Vette or take the Jeep off-road even though I've added many "off-road" upgrades to the Jeep, i.e. winch, suspension, etc. I just can't reconcile scratching or breaking a near $50k Wrangler right now, nor breaking components on the Vette due to racing. I'll probably reconsider when the vehicles are paid off & I can put some $$ away towards repairs if needed. For now I'm finishing up some exterior upgrades to the Vette to make it look like I want it to, then I'll start with some performance upgrades (longtubes, intake, and supercharger) to be a dyno queen & match my wife's Jeep's mall-crawler status

Last edited by JABCAT; 02-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm guessing if you get to push your car to it's limits on a track then nothing wrong with going for more HP. I don't track, the car has more than enough HP for street driving so all my mods are cosmetic...
Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Me likey HORSEPOWER Even if only used about as much as I drive my car, so what, its there when I want to drive a little foolishly.
I would like to do the A&A setup but its just so pricey for an ole blue collar worker in his retirement, maybe someday I hope.
I've thought about trading up to a C-7 Z car but the cost, troublesome A-8 tranny, increased registration fees & insurance make me shy away from that idea. Plus I like my GS a lot and have it just like I want it, minus the A&A of course
NSF

Quick Reply: Am I the only HP crazy guy?