Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Axxess XSVI-2004 Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:41 PM
edge 01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axxess XSVI-2004 Install Question

I’m rehabbing the interior of my ‘01 Convertible to correct a couple electrical gremlins that popped up recently (grounding issues and corroded connectors), repair the dreaded fallen HUD (already completed and working like a charm thanks to the info that I found here), and rebuilding the seats. Also, while I’m at it I’m upgrading the sound system. I’ve completed all the soldering associated with connecting the Axxess adapter to my new HU wiring harness, and have a couple questions that I hoping someone can help with.

The Axxess has the XSVI box as well as the converter to adjust the levels of the stock woofers attached to the harness. My questions are:
Do I just “bury” the both of the boxes in the sub dash behind the HU, or make them accessible somehow? Or, do I “bury” the XSVI and make the converter accessible for later adjustments? What’s the standard configuration for those of you that have installed the unit?

Suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by edge 01; 02-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by edge 01
My questions are:
Do I just “bury” the both of the boxes in the sub dash behind the HU, or make them accessible somehow? Or, do I “bury” the XSVI and make the converter accessible for later adjustments? What’s the standard configuration for those of you that have installed the unit?
Suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Depends on what you want. The small box is where you have a USB female to connect to your laptop or phone to be able to upgrade the firmware. I did my firmware update on my shop table before install but I want to have access for future firmware updates. I am going to install a 3' Micro USB male to standard USB male so I can do upgrades without digging out the box
But the main box has the balance controls which might need to be accessible until you get the speakers balanced the way you want them.
That will be difficult as the wiring harnesses are pretty short
While I am awaiting my Vettenuts bezel I am trying to get as much done on the bench before the install.
Let us know what you end up doing....................

Last edited by jrprich; 02-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

This is what I did for a single DIN HU
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:24 PM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

jcgunn what brand head unit did you install? About to put mine in an '04Z-kenwood.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:37 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by druz06
jcgunn what brand head unit did you install? About to put mine in an '04Z-kenwood.
Pioneer 7200bt.
Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2019, 01:53 PM
ramez75
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

I got the metra and I think I have something wired not right but your answer will confirm that
- The red wire of the metra to red of the in my case kenwood wiring harness but do you also have to run it to the ignition wire in the passenger foot area or just red to red
- The illumination orange wire to orange of the kenwood wiring harness, thats all correct.

The reason I am asking is 10 years ago i did the update to KEnwood DNX 6160 and used the GMCRV2 wiring harness which in that scenario I have the red wire wired to the ignition and the orange wire spliced into the HVAC, so I was trying to do the same setup but the instructions doesnt say to connect the wires outside the headunit harness

Thanks
Old 08-09-2019, 08:20 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by ramez75
...I got the metra and I think I have something wired not right but your answer will confirm that

- The red wire of the metra to red of the in my case kenwood wiring harness but do you also have to run it to the ignition wire in the passenger foot area or just red to red...
No, it's just Red to Red. The Axxess adapter interfaces with the Serial Data Bus, like the OEM Headunit, and no additional Accessory Switched Power connection is required.

The Axxess receives the appropriate command via Serial Data Bus when the ignition switch is moved to Accessory or Run, and provides the aftermarket headunit with the equivalent of an Accessory Switched Power wire through the Red wire.

This ability to interface with the Serial Data Bus is also how it can preserve the RAP feature.
The following users liked this post:
ewf3 (11-03-2022)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 PM
ramez75
Pro

Originally Posted by GCG
No, it's just Red to Red. The Axxess adapter interfaces with the Serial Data Bus, like the OEM Headunit, and no additional Accessory Switched Power connection is required.

The Axxess receives the appropriate command via Serial Data Bus when the ignition switch is moved to Accessory or Run, and provides the aftermarket headunit with the equivalent of an Accessory Switched Power wire through the Red wire.

This ability to interface with the Serial Data Bus is also how it can preserve the RAP feature.
Thank you, all worked. So now wiring the rear camera.

Do I have to do trh initialization 30 second thing every time I unplug the axxess xsvi2004

Thanks
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 AM
ramez75
Pro

Originally Posted by jcgunn
This is what I did for a single DIN HU
Hi,

So did you tap into you HVAC for illumination. I connected the orange wire from the Axxess to the orange wire on the kenwood harness do I also connect them and splice into the HVAC or not necessary.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by ramez75
...So did you tap into you HVAC for illumination. I connected the orange wire from the Axxess to the orange wire on the kenwood harness do I also connect them and splice into the HVAC or not necessary...
That's the way it's supposed to be. Do not bring into this a wire from another circuit. As a rule of thumb, cross-connecting different circuits should be avoided.

That being said, it will work as intended, or not, depending on the headunit. It's been reported that some headunits/manufacturers do not respond to the Axxess dimming output. Give it a try and, if it doesn't work, disconnect the orange wire from the Axxess and secure its end with electrical tape. Then connect the orange wire from the new headunit to the A/C illumination wire or, better yet, tap into the Parking Lights circuit at the Foglights switch (if memory serves, I believe it's a brown wire).
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM
ramez75
Pro

Originally Posted by GCG
That's the way it's supposed to be. Do not bring into this a wire from another circuit. As a rule of thumb, cross-connecting different circuits should be avoided.

That being said, it will work as intended, or not, depending on the headunit. It's been reported that some headunits/manufacturers do not respond to the Axxess dimming output. Give it a try and, if it doesn't work, disconnect the orange wire from the Axxess and secure its end with electrical tape. Then connect the orange wire from the new headunit to the A/C illumination wire or, better yet, tap into the Parking Lights circuit at the Foglights switch (if memory serves, I believe it's a brown wire).
Thank you for the clarification. My older kenwood unit dnx6160 (2010) I had the orange wire spliced into the HVAC and worked fine as the GMCRV2 wiring harness I used did not have an orange wire This unit is also a kenwood dnx 996xr (2019) and the orange wire I spliced it into the axxess wiring harness so will give it a try and if it doesnt work then will do what I did with my older headunit
Old 04-19-2020, 10:49 PM
dearoldad
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did it workout? I'm installing a KW 996 with the xsvi-2004 in my 2002 drop top...where did you attach the speed sensor wire?
The following users liked this post:
chuck1026 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:16 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by dearoldad
How did it workout? I'm installing a KW 996 with the xsvi-2004 in my 2002 drop top...where did you attach the speed sensor wire?
+1. to @ramez75
Going with xsvi-2004 module and a Kenwood DMX957XR.

Last edited by chuck1026; 06-13-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:38 AM
ramez75
Pro

It works great. I followed the instructions that came. Is that the orange wire. I do not recall as it has been a while. I can see if I have it written somewhere

Get notified of new replies

To Axxess XSVI-2004 Install Question

Quick Reply: Axxess XSVI-2004 Install Question