Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Repairing CF Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Repairing CF Top

Insurance replaced my CF top. To prevent the stones from chipping the new top like they did on the old top, I had Xpel put on it yesterday before I have it installed. My old top has 1 large and 4 small stone chips on it. The stones did not damage the CF. Moisture got under the clear coat and started the clear coat to separate from the CF. I would like to get my old top repaired. Can the clear coat be removed without damaging the CF? Is there a special clear coat that would have to be applied?

Ed
Old 02-17-2018, 05:24 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

How did you talk insurance into replacing it? Mine has a big chip at the leading edge as well.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:36 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
How did you talk insurance into replacing it? Mine has a big chip at the leading edge as well.
I called USAA and filed a claim stating that my ZR1 CF roof panel took a stone hit in August 2016. When water got under the clear coat, during the following winter, it froze and lifted the clear from the CF about the size of a pencil eraser. USAA replaced my roof panel under my comprehensive provision with no hesitation. My local body shop took pictures and sent them to USAA. At that time we identified 4 additional stone hits where freezing water has slightly lifted the clear. A new roof panel ($3000) showed up about 3 weeks later. It would be stupid to put a new roof panel on with out covering it with Xpel. Got it done Thursday at a cost of $400. IMO, money well spent.

Ed
Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck with the special clear coat. In this "Jay Leno's garage" he talks about his 2009 #1 and states the clear coat is $60,000 a gallon. Yes, 60k!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Ca
Good luck with the special clear coat. In this "Jay Leno's garage" he talks about his 2009 #1 and states the clear coat is $60,000 a gallon. Yes, 60k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eqtxX3G-7A
Not sure I believe that. Don’t know how many cars a gallon of clear will do but let’s say three. That is $20K per car in clear alone plus the white undercoat and the paint. I guess that is why they cost $120K new.

I watched the B&J auction, back in 2009, when the first ZR1 sold for $1M+. I do remember them saying that the one of a kind blue paint job on that car cost $60K. I don’t remember them saying the clear alone cost $60K.

Since the CF was not damaged, I’m probably going to get the damaged top striped and cleared, then get the Xpel applied and then put it on eBay explaining what I did.

Ed
Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetZO6

Not sure I believe that. Don’t know how many cars a gallon of clear will do but let’s say three. That is $20K per car in clear alone plus the white undercoat and the paint. I guess that is why they cost $120K new.

I watched the B&J auction, back in 2009, when the first ZR1 sold for $1M+. I do remember them saying that the one of a kind blue paint job on that car cost $60K. I don’t remember them saying the clear alone cost $60K.

Since the CF was not damaged, I’m probably going to get the damaged top striped and cleared, then get the Xpel applied and then put it on eBay explaining what I did.

Ed
I'm just the messenger. I would think it would be aboutt a pint for the top, but that is still about 4k.

I would do something similar to your repair method. GLWS!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

To clarify, the GM production carbon fiber parts are expensive partly due to labor costs (making molds and parts to conform to exacting dimensional specs is not trivial), and partly due to the UV-resistant resin and clear used.

I am not sure exactly sure what the per-gallon price is, but what I can tell you is they don't spray the entire car with the pricey stuff, just the carbon fiber pieces.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I wouldn't try to fix it and sell it. I would offer it up as is and let them figure out how best to deal with it. Your car is back the way you want it.
Sell it for your out of pocket expenses to fix yours and be done with it.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

As an ex car painter this one made me smile.

A gallon of clear would do a lot of exposed carbon roofs and spliters / side skirts on Zr1's. Tons of them. Not 3 lol. **** tons.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetZO6

Ed
Confirmed - It cost $60K a gallon when they first started. Now that they have carbon roofs available on all models I am sure it has come down.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

As indicated above, the special clear coat used on the ZR1 was just for the carbon fiber pieces (roof, splitter, rocker extensions). And yes, it was very expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To Repairing CF Top

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Repairing CF Top