Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use KW shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone use KW shocks?

Thought I would look into double adjustable shocks for my C5Z. I have the DRM Bilsteins which are better than OEM but not a lot. I have used Koni SA shocks on different cars in the past and liked them but found the quality may have dropped somewhat. I would like to have the rear rebound fairly firm but compression fairly soft which you can't do with an SA shock.

Seems the KW Variant 3 can be bought without coil overs but I don't have a clue where the adjusters are or more importantly, how accessable they are.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

penske, call anze....they do similar setup for t1 cars
Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

KW seems to preach their idea of using steel bodid dampers because they are better??

Funny how Pnske, JRZ, or Öhlins dont share the same view.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
KW seems to preach their idea of using steel bodid dampers because they are better??

Funny how Pnske, JRZ, or Öhlins dont share the same view.
KW is also the only one on that list that use a pretty small working piston (also not ideal), especially when combined with the huge rods that they seem to like.

OP, you could have a set of Bilstein's revalved several times to get what you wanted for the cost of any of the more expensive options. Hell, you could probably even get them converted to adjustables for less than most options.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM
YEGC5Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for revalve your bilsteins. Have a chat with these guys http://fatcatmotorsports.com/
The following users liked this post:
chandretti15 (12-28-2019)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Thanks for the comments about KW. Have to admit I don't know anything about them. I thought all shocks would have a steel body.

Penske shocks are almost twice the price and only seem to come set up for coil over which I definitely do not want.

I am not convinced that the DRM revalved off the shelf Bilsteins are that much better than the stock C5Z shocks so not sure that revalving them again is going to be all that great. As for changing a non adjustable shock in to an adjustable one, I would have thought that would be a much bigger job.

So how happy are you guys who use Koni SA shocks? I will get some of the adjustability I want by leaving the rears moderately soft and the fronts stiffer. Don't like where the adjusters are but I suppose I could live with it although I would think you need to keep them covered with tape or something to prevent all sorts of grit getting in to them.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:51 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

No Penske makes a helper shock for guys running leafs. Talk to Adrian or Phoenix guys running t1. Yes it’s going to be more money but it’s worth every penny.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 AM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I am not convinced that the DRM revalved off the shelf Bilsteins are that much better than the stock C5Z shocks so not sure that revalving them again is going to be all that great.
Here's the thing about any rebuildable shock (Penske, Bilstein, MCS, JRI, whatever, this is the same for all brands that have similar physical dimensions of rod and piston, which they all within noise, do). Any/all of these brands can be built such that they are amazing shocks and will do everything you could ever want. They can all also be built to be complete garbage that will ride terrible and cost you grip. It's all a function of the knowledge of the person building the shock. Shock builders have their own reasons for sticking with the brands they do, but any of those brands can be built to do what you need. You just need to find the right person to put stuff together.

Originally Posted by Soloontario
As for changing a non adjustable shock in to an adjustable one, I would have thought that would be a much bigger job.
With Bilstein's, it's just a change in piston rod. Other shocks are more involved (especially if the adjuster is in a remote reservoir or something like that), but it's simple for a Bilstein monotube, which is why I suggested it.
The following users liked this post:
Tomswheels (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The nice thing about a DA (like JRZ or others) is you get to find you preferred setting with adjusters, but also the gas charge. About the only thing that needs disassembly is the hi speed release. (that's for sharp quick release, like apex curbs)

They can be credit card busters though. But can last forever.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 02-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Even SA shocks like the Konis allow me to change settings somewhat depending on track, tire choice and weather conditions. Fixed valve shocks don't allow this type of change. Just wish they were easier to adjust.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
Shock builders have their own reasons for sticking with the brands they do, but any of those brands can be built to do what you need. You just need to find the right person to put stuff together.
David Whitener could build you a solid set of Bilsteins if you want to go that route. He's got a lot of experience building shocks for national level auto-x cars.

Or get some MCS doubles from Sam.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 AM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by v10climber
David Whitener could build you a solid set of Bilsteins if you want to go that route. He's got a lot of experience building shocks for national level auto-x cars.

Or get some MCS doubles from Sam.
I'd use Whitener for Bilstein builds in a heartbeat.

Why buy MCS doubles from Sam, when he won't even run them on his own car? He's gone back to Konis on his car(s) after testing the MCSs. Seems counterproductive to typical CF advice, but if less ***** are faster (or as fast) at a significantly lower cost, then you should use less *****.

Last edited by mattastick; 02-20-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by mattastick
I'd use Whitener for Bilstein builds in a heartbeat.

Why buy MCS doubles from Sam, when he won't even run them on his own car? He's gone back to Konis on his car(s) after testing the MCSs. Seems counterproductive to typical CF advice, but if less ***** are faster (or as fast) at a significantly lower cost, then you should use less *****.
Kind of thinking the same myself. Would like DA shocks but if SA work........ I am not running slicks (will be R888Rs this year) and don't have any aero with just stock springs so don't know that I need shocks for 4K. Would be nice for sure but so would a Radical brake kit. I can't afford the divorce.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use KW shocks?

Quick Reply: Anyone use KW shocks?