C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low beam problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Low beam problem

I notices a while back my passenger low beam seems to not be as bright as the driver side. I installed a pair of 6000 K 35 watt and still no difference. Has anyone ever experienced this problem. Need some suggestions please. I wonder if may it could be the directional setting is off maybe.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Vette
I notices a while back my passenger low beam seems to not be as bright as the driver side. I installed a pair of 6000 K 35 watt and still no difference. Has anyone ever experienced this problem. Need some suggestions please. I wonder if may it could be the directional setting is off maybe.
Check your ground wire connections, a dirty or bad ground will cause this. You will see them on the frame.

Last edited by GMJim; 02-16-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks I will check to see if cleaning will help.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Well I cleaned the ground which is forward of the fuse box on the frame but didn't seem to fix the problem. Any other suggestions to check? Does anyone know where the ground is located for right side headlight (low beam)?

Last edited by Ghost Vette; 02-17-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Adder a question.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:49 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Could be your ballast is going out.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madsonp
Could be your ballast is going out.
Thanks for your response but I changed the lights with the ballast out and still the same thing. I was told to check the ground but I am fairly new from my C5 to the C6 and do not know the location for the right low beam ground to make sure I clean the correct one.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks for your response but I changed the lights with the ballast out and still the same thing. I was told to check the ground but I am fairly new from my C5 to the C6 and do not know the location for the right low beam ground to make sure I clean the correct one.
Ghost: Just for hell of it replace the low beam relay (Cheap from parts store) or take it out and clean the prongs with a piece of sandpaper or a file....BTW: What year and miles?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm not sure which bulbs you have. Are they marked as DOT Compliant? On the base of the bulb, it should say "D1S" (the bulb type), "35W" (the wattage rating), "DOT" (signifying compliance with USDOT regs and FMVSS safety standards), and "E" with a number enclosed in a box or circle (indicating it's tested and certified to meet ECE standards in the country indicated by the number, 1=Germany is most common). The manufacturer's name and/or trade mark should also be present.

If your bulb(s) lack any of those markings, they are junk. Buy some good bulbs from a reputable source.

The ground wire is the one that goes to a screw in some metal "chassis" section up front. It's typically black on most Chevrolets, and I'm pretty sure that's the case on the C6. Seems like the power for the low beam on the RH side is Tan with a white stripe, and the high beam is light Green with a black stripe, and the ground is black. That's from possibly faulty memory. Make sure you've got battery voltage (or really close) across those wires when the light is in the circuit and lit (not when it's unplugged).
The following users liked this post:
SouthBaySurfer (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Ghost: Just for hell of it replace the low beam relay (Cheap from parts store) or take it out and clean the prongs with a piece of sandpaper or a file....BTW: What year and miles?
It is a 2006 with 60 k.
Cherokee Nation (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Its probably the reflective chrome inside the projector that has worn off. I have seen this happen.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If you want to try your ballast from your drivers side on the passenger side I did a write up on how to change these out, you can find it here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-ballast.html I wrote this dealing with my 05, the ballasts are different from a 06 up so be sure to read the whole thread.

Last edited by madsonp; 02-18-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

If you want to try your ballast from your drivers side on the passenger side I did a write up on how to change these out, you can find it here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-ballast.html I wrote this dealing with my 05, the ballasts are different from a 06 up so be sure to read the whole thread.
OK I put completely new light in and the same thing. The right side is still a little dimmer. Now guess I will replace the ballast although wouldn't that make both high and low beam dimmer. Thanks for info.
Vetteman1980 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I'm not sure which bulbs you have. Are they marked as DOT Compliant? On the base of the bulb, it should say "D1S" (the bulb type), "35W" (the wattage rating), "DOT" (signifying compliance with USDOT regs and FMVSS safety standards), and "E" with a number enclosed in a box or circle (indicating it's tested and certified to meet ECE standards in the country indicated by the number, 1=Germany is most common). The manufacturer's name and/or trade mark should also be present.

If your bulb(s) lack any of those markings, they are junk. Buy some good bulbs from a reputable source.

The ground wire is the one that goes to a screw in some metal "chassis" section up front. It's typically black on most Chevrolets, and I'm pretty sure that's the case on the C6. Seems like the power for the low beam on the RH side is Tan with a white stripe, and the high beam is light Green with a black stripe, and the ground is black. That's from possibly faulty memory. Make sure you've got battery voltage (or really close) across those wires when the light is in the circuit and lit (not when it's unplugged).
I checked the light and it has OSRAM XENARC D1S 35 watt H9 with an E1 in a square and also a number 66042.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK I put completely new light in and the same thing. The right side is still a little dimmer. Now guess I will replace the ballast although wouldn't that make both high and low beam dimmer. Thanks for info.
The ballast is only on the low beam, the high beam has a separate halogen bulb that doesn't use a ballast.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

The ballast is only on the low beam, the high beam has a separate halogen bulb that doesn't use a ballast.
Good to know. I have checked the grounds and put in new bulbs. I think I am going to change the ballast. Can a ballast just cause a dim light instead of going out totally in your opinion?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Very good write up. I need a different ballast but the change out method appears to be the same.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to know. I have checked the grounds and put in new bulbs. I think I am going to change the ballast. Can a ballast just cause a dim light instead of going out totally in your opinion?
I myself can't say with a 100% certainty, I don't have a whole bunch of experience with them as they're not used on a lot of vehicles, but if you've checked everything else......

Get notified of new replies

To Low beam problem

Old 02-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

A ballast that is used in places that have ac neon lights will start to flutter on and off then fail completely....DC ??
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

When you say a completely new light, you mean the bulb right? The other member that mentioned the reflector housing might have found the issue, but you cannot fix that without removing your headlight lenses and getting into the housing from my understanding.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
When you say a completely new light, you mean the bulb right? The other member that mentioned the reflector housing might have found the issue, but you cannot fix that without removing your headlight lenses and getting into the housing from my understanding.
Yes I changed the bulb. I also checked the Ground G102. I will know try to replace the ballast. I was given info from a company that sells them that a DC ballast will act different than an AC. Corrosion can cause a power drop causing the bulb not to reach full brightness. I hope it is the ballast in lieu of the reflector coating.

Quick Reply: Low beam problem