Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please

Hey guys my name' Brian I'm 24 and I'm looking to purchase my first corvette next year in the summer. I'm dead set on the c7 but I dont know if I should get the stingray or save a few more years for a zo6 and if I got a sting ray is there anything I should know about. I want to get the seats with the logos in them so anything but the 1lt please whatever anyone can tell me i really appreciate it!

Popular Reply

02-17-2018, 12:58 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Hi Brian, welcome to CF. I would suggest your first steps should be:
* Do some research on the C7 - go to the Chev site and build your own, etc.
* Use the search engine in CF and look thru all the threads about 'should I get a (base, Z51, GS, Z)', etc.
* Use the search engine in CF to find the differences between the years, differences in 1/2/3LT or LZ, trans questions, etc. No one can really answer the 'what should I get' questions for you - but you can glean a lot of information from the threads in this forum.
* Google C7 reviews - you can gain a lot of intel there.

And don't take some of the funny comments personally. We all like to have a little fun on CF sometimes, but the vast majority of members are really helpful and will share their knowledge - - but you should do a lot of research as suggested above and then ask specific questions IMO.

Good luck in your search - the C7s, in any configuration, are great cars!!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

And.....we're off!

Go big, real big!
The following 3 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
DALE#3 (02-17-2018), PobreWey (02-16-2018), REDZED2 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCasland
Hey guys my name' Brian I'm 24 and I'm looking to purchase my first corvette next year in the summer. I'm dead set on the c7 but I dont know if I should get the stingray or save a few more years for a zo6 and if I got a sting ray is there anything I should know about. I want to get the seats with the logos in them so anything but the 1lt please whatever anyone can tell me i really appreciate it!
The Stingray is slower than the z06. Hope this helps

Last edited by PobreWey; 02-17-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 AM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I was considering a used Z06 but ended up getting a new GS for the same price. 1LT, manual trans. Very happy with it. Not exactly my daily driver but I drive it to work 1-2x per week.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

* Use the search engine in CF and look thru all the threads about 'should I get a (base, Z51, GS, Z)', etc.
* Use the search engine in CF to find the differences between the years, differences in 1/2/3LT or LZ, trans questions, etc. No one can really answer the 'what should I get' questions for you - but you can glean a lot of information from the threads in this forum.

And don't take some of the funny comments personally. We all like to have a little fun on CF sometimes, but the vast majority of members are really helpful and will share their knowledge - - but you should do a lot of research as suggested above and then ask specific questions IMO.

Last edited by Hopper12; 02-17-2018 at 12:59 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Hopper12:
BaconWrappedSushi (02-19-2018), Corgidog1 (08-22-2019), harmonyp (02-18-2018), Maxpowers (02-17-2018), PobreWey (02-17-2018), Rebel Yell (02-19-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 AM
oldmantex1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

I agree a lot with this post being an owner of a brand new C7 in 2017 (my first one as well). I personally chose the Stingray with the 2LT package. I am not planning on tracking or racing the car, so all of the suspension goodies for making it a better track car would have been a waste of my money. I bought mine to cruise around, and take some road trips.

I did a lot of searches on this forum, and looked at a ton of reviews before deciding. Every time I go out to the garage I have to pinch myself when I see my new Corvette to make sure I'm not dreaming.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:30 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I've had 3 C-4's, a C5, a C6 and now a C7 and when I look back I'm happy that I didn't wait to buy. You can measure current enjoyment versus waiting a couple years for a Z06. Personally I'd get something to enjoy this summer, either a new C7 Z51 (since you seem to prefer performance) or maybe a really nice used Z06. If you buy used I'd call Dennis Fichtner for a GM extended warranty.

I'd also consider a 2LT package. You can check out what it includes versus a base car.

Regardless, enjoy the thought of getting a Corvette. Dreaming of getting one, waiting for delivery, finally driving it, and just staring at it in the garage are all part of the experience.

Last edited by FunDriver; 02-17-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I think the OP at his age would be more than blown away by a bolt on clean low miles C6 Z06.. for the $$$$ you can't beat the fun factor. Or just wait for the mid engine C8!!!! The C7 ZR1 is so dated and slow now! Too many of them on the road!! Oh.. too rhetorical perhaps??

Last edited by REDZED2; 02-17-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by PobreWey
The Stingray is slower than the z06. Hope this helps
Well that IS real informative Earth shattering news from Cowtown. JK.

Yeah sounds extremely deer in the headlights. You poor c7 guys dealing with the wealthy Millennials.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:32 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Well that IS real informative Earth shattering news from Cowtown. JK.

Yeah sounds extremely deer in the headlights. You poor c7 guys dealing with the wealthy Millennials.
i dont appreciate you saying im a (wealthy millennial) I work 90 hours a week taking care of elderly people as well as working in a pizza shop. I work very hard long days and nights to be able to afford this car at such a young age thanks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brian McCasland:
ElGreco53 (02-17-2018), SyberSaint (08-23-2019), Wynsnob (02-19-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:36 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FunDriver
I've had 3 C-4's, a C5, a C6 and now a C7 and when I look back I'm happy that I didn't wait to buy. You can measure current enjoyment versus waiting a couple years for a Z06. Personally I'd get something to enjoy this summer, either a new C7 Z51 (since you seem to prefer performance) or maybe a really nice used Z06. If you buy used I'd call Dennis Fichtner for a GM extended warranty.

I'd also consider a 2LT package. You can check out what it includes versus a base car.

Regardless, enjoy the thought of getting a Corvette. Dreaming of getting one, waiting for delivery, finally driving it, and just staring at it in the garage are all part of the experience.
i appreiate this comment so thank you. I thought I could come here and get some helpful answers but Instead you get the jealous people who are the (corvette) owners who dont hink anyone my age works hard enough to get one.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Brian McCasland
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Hopper12

Thank you for the warm welcome! There' a difference between being an *** and having fun though. I wanted to come here to meet and talk with people with the same passion for the corvette as I have. And like I said I work 90 hours a week 7 days 6 nights so I'm the farthest thing from wealthy. It' annoying when people don't
understand hard work.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I bought my first fast car when I was 19, so I know how you feel! Here are a few thoughts from my own experience:

Like you, I worked crazy hours when I was young. I didn't like to take vacations, and I didn't spend all my money at the bar, so I had a fast car. If you are considering a C7 Corvette, but you are unsure of what options you want, here is what I would do:

1. Watch YouTube videos of the various C7 models. There are probably at least 50 or 100 really good videos explaining the options and various trim levels of the C7 Corvette. Motor Trend does a really nice video of the Z51 when the C7 came out back in 2014. I think they also have videos that feature the Grand Sport and Z06. I watch alot of YouTube to learn about my various hobbies, and it helped me figure out what I wanted.

2. Go to chevrolet.com and use the "build and price" feature on the various Corvette models. This will give you an idea for the various options on the car and how they affect the looks of the car, as well as the price. (Most Corvette models are going for about $10K-$12K less than the sticker price if you know when and where to buy, so keep that in mind when looking at the MSRP on the build and price sites.)

3. Go to kbb.com and nadaguide.com. These are pricing guides that will help you determine the approximate used value of any cars that you will be looking at. These sites have a "build and price" feature too, where you can select the model year, trim level, and various options and mileage and see how that affects the price. This site will help you get an idea for the used price of these cars.

4. Go to AutoTrader.com and search for a specific car that you want within 500 miles of your location. Skip the first one or two pages because those are mostly people who purchased the right to be on the first one or two pages and are asking way too much for their cars. The best deals on used cars are in the middle pages of the results. Ignore the last one or two pages as well. These are usually sketchy private sellers, flood damaged cars, lemons, and who knows what else.

5. Once you have what you want narrowed down, go out and drive a few. This will tell you what you like. I'll warn you though. If you drive one, you'll catch the fever, so don't drive until you've researched the cars and know what you want and can afford. Get ready to be impressed. Even a base Stingray is a FAST car. The Z06 is mind bogglingly fast.

6. Before you get dead set on a C7, check out the C5 Z06. Before I bought my C7, I was considering a C5 Z06. (And would have been happy with one if I bought it.) . I've driven a few of them, and can tell you that they will perform beyond your expectations. A low-mileage garage queen owned by Grandpa will run about $25K to $28K, and will perform similarly to a Stingray. If you don't believe me, please just take my word for it. Before you drive a C7, find a low-mileage C5 Z06 at a used car lot and take it for a ride. The LS6 engine is smooth and powerful. It only makes 400 horsepower to the LT1's 460, BUT, the C5 only weighs 3100 pounds, that's 300 pounds less than a C7. The C5 is simpler without all of the tech gadgets and LED readouts. It's a simple, pure driver's car.

That's about all I have. Best of luck in your search. And again, before you look into the C7 in earnest, check out the C5 Z06. I think you will thank me.
The following users liked this post:
Brian McCasland (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:32 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Good luck with your quest....I've owned Vettes since I was 18 and have had 12 so far...C2-C5,C7.Skipped the C6 because I was happy with the C5Z for 11 yrs.

If you are looking at the C7,go drive all 4 models,Base,Z51,GS & Z06.

Based on what your needs & likes are AND how much you can afford,that will tell you what to buy.

Good Luck..

\db2

Last edited by dbaker; 02-17-2018 at 07:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbaker:
Brian McCasland (02-17-2018), DALE#3 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

^^ You were typing when i was ^^Bottom Line Here is..What do you want in the Car.What are you going to do with the Car? The wallet and self is your call.
Ohh, WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Last edited by DALE#3; 02-17-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 AM
steidley
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default And then what?

My thinking with getting a GS over a Z06 was, what car do you get after the Z06? It is so damn fast I'm not sure that I wouldn't be a struggle to find the inevitable next car. With the GS, you won't be unhappy with the speed as long as you don't keep dreaming about the Z06.

From a finance suggestion, the new car is going to kill you in depreciation. If you grab anything on the used market that is going to save you a ton on the way in and the way out. I still love the look of a C5 Z06 and was very tempted by them. They are more toward the flat part of the depreciation, so you could own one for a few years and then move to a newer one without nearly the cost of ownership on a new car. Run some numbers and think about it.

A smile on your face from your car will help to keep you motivated and understanding why you are working your pants off.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please

Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I would go out and drive a few that you are considering. The C7 is a great car whatever platform you get. Not sure of your age, but tons of tech in the C7 as well.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:54 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

At 24 I suggest you find a used 2 year old C7 stingray with the options you are looking for. I assume it'll be a daily driver and it'll cost much less for maintenance and insurance than the Z06. I think you will be plenty happy with the performance.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:02 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul
Used Corvettes may be getting alot cheaper in the near future.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
2016C7.paul (02-22-2018), Brian McCasland (02-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Corvette-NEED opinions, please