Old 02-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Micheluccio
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire pressure

I looked at the owner manual and said:
FRONT L34 R33 PSI
REAR L34 R33 PSI
Is that means that the left front and rear are 34psi and the right front and rear are 33psi.??
do I really need one psi different..??
Please respond.
Mike
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Micheluccio
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Mike, no. Tires heated by the sun can easily be 1 psi higher than the shaded side tires, for example. Besides, I question that most consumer gauges are all that precise.

Suggest you fill in your profile.
So..what is the right psi for the front and for the rear..??
Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What year Vette is this for, Mike?
This is totally different from my '99; for that year, the owners manual only referred me to the door sticker which shows 30# front and rear with no side to side difference.
The following users liked this post:
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Micheluccio
I looked at the owner manual and said:
FRONT L34 R33 PSI
REAR L34 R33 PSI
Is that means that the left front and rear are 34psi and the right front and rear are 33psi.??
do I really need one psi different..??
Please respond.
Mike
I run 30 lbs HOT in all 4...
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
The following 2 users liked this post by Fcar 98:
Micheluccio (02-17-2018), Yello95 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Your profile shows you have a '99 C5. The sticker on the door jamb should say the recommended tire pressures are 30 psi cold on all four tires. That is what I have always run in my car and my tires wear even all the way around.
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:54 PM
WetMountainMan
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

The manual page you're referring to is showing examples only of readouts, not the recommended tire pressure. Read the pressures on the driver door jamb. My '02 says 30 psi for all tires.
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Another door jamb readout; 04Z = 30PSI all corners.
I like to experiment... findings? 30PSI works for me.
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

heres where I got my 30 lb hot answer from over a decade ago...its a long explanation but worth reading and I still go by what he said...best tire pressure info I ever read...

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Ive posted this at least 200 times. That sticker on the Door is a DOT compliance sticker.. it's designed to keep people from inflating their tires to 63 psi as it says on the sidewall of the tire.. Tires are not made for specific cars, they are made for specific sizes, therefore, the weight bareing load is different based on the car and its weight. While many people read that as a cold tire pressure, summer or winter .. it is not accurate. 30 cold means nothing because the tire is not in work mode.. Therefore it's not at operating temperature. What you have to do is keep the tire in the sweet spot... 30 psi is the right tire pressure for a 3200 lb vehicle. However, inflating a tire to 30 when they are col dmeans nothing.. Its when they are actually rolling..... take for example, a cool morning test in you garage might yield a 30 psi tire pressdure.. but take that tire out on the road and by noon on a hot day 90+ and on a black top road, the surface temperure of that road can see 160 degree F. NOw that 30 psi tire is at 38 psi.. which will make the tire over pressured for a 3200 lb car. making the footprint ( contact patch ) become center high , reducing the contact patch, wearing the center out of thew tire and reducing the traction and performance and fuel economy..

IN the summer.. there is a big swing in ambient temperature, as much as 40 degrees in 24 hours..

So after giving you all of this information. it is fairly easy to see where your tire pressure should be. For me, in the summer I set my tires to 26/28 psi. this will insure that my tires do not get over pressured by mid day. You don't have to adjust the pressure daily or weekly or even monthly.. but between June and August, you want light pressure cold (26/28 psi ) this will put them in the sweet spot, and give you the best performance and insure against premature center wear. On a really hot day 90+ and you are out and about.. check with the DIC and see if your tires are where they should be.. if they are north of 34 or 35 psi, drop a few pound to get you to 30/31 psi. That should be your set point. check once a month, because 02 escapes through the side wall ( more in the summer ) . Winter time, tire pressure become lower because the air is more dense , so you may have to add tire pressure in the winter because with O2 loss and cold temps you don't want to be running around on 26 psi, you may even get a low tire warning in the winter, and need to pump up the pressure.. This is what I call tire tuning for best performance and tire longevity..

This is how all Indy, and Nascar events are monitored by pit crews. They monitor track condition and track temperature to insure proper tire pressure so they can get that extra two laps out of a tire, and those extra miles of fuel consumption. Races are won or lost on improper tire pressure. Proper tire pressure tuning is good for your cars performance and also for its fuel economy.. and of course your wallet.. understand tire pressure and it will greatly benefit your Corvette experience. BTW just 1 or 2 psi can make a big difference. That extra mile to the gallon of fuel, and those extra thousand miles to a set of tires.
POST #189 on this subject.
Happy summer
Bill aka ET

So Keep it in the sweet spot. ( 30/31 psi Hot )
Micheluccio (02-17-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

O2 does not escape through the sidewall of the tire. Just because ET says that you believe it? Show me the evidence of that instead of just spouting that out.
The tire pressure drop over time is from air leaking out via the tire stem or at the rim seal, not from diffusion through the rubber. If that were the case, it would be very simple to analyze the air left inside the tire after sitting for a long while and show the % of O2 had dropped and the % of N2 rose. Can you show even one study that proves that?

And that tire pressure on the tag in the doorwell is a recommendation based on a combo of factors- softness and comfort of the ride, performance, longevity, etc.- and is not set in stone as an absolute. It is also a COLD pressure recommendation. GM, or anyone else, does not expect you to get out of your car after driving on the highway at speed for hours and expect you to measure and adjust the tire pressures during your trip.

People should not promote bullshit, there's enough of it going around.

And FWIW, I keep the tire pressures in all my cars ~32 cold and like the ride better and have no problem with wear or longevity, and it probably gives me an extra mpg or two in economy which doesn't really matter in all of this.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Your profile shows you have a '99 C5. The sticker on the door jamb should say the recommended tire pressures are 30 psi cold on all four tires. That is what I have always run in my car and my tires wear even all the way around.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by mrlmd
O2 does not escape through the sidewall of the tire. Just because ET says that you believe it?[COLOR="Red"] Show me the evidence of that instead of just spouting that out[/COLOR].
The tire pressure drop over time is from air leaking out via the tire stem or at the rim seal, not from diffusion through the rubber. If that were the case, it would be very simple to analyze the air left inside the tire after sitting for a long while and show the % of O2 had dropped and the % of N2 rose. Can you show even one study that proves that?

And that tire pressure on the tag in the doorwell is a recommendation based on a combo of factors- softness and comfort of the ride, performance, longevity, etc.- and is not set in stone as an absolute. It is also a COLD pressure recommendation. GM, or anyone else, does not expect you to get out of your car after driving on the highway at speed for hours and expect you to measure and adjust the tire pressures during your trip.

People should not promote bullshit, there's enough of it going around.

And FWIW, I keep the tire pressures in all my cars ~32 cold and like the ride better and have no problem with wear or longevity, and it probably gives me an extra mpg or two in economy which doesn't really matter in all of this.
32 cold in summer month is too much...it turns into 38-40 on a hot summer day on asphault on the highway...but you keep on doing as you please...

Sir...that is ETs info...I didn't spout it out....his info has worked for me personally for 10+ years...also...I know lots of people love ET and lots hate him....I do not communicate with him anymore since we got a divorce a while back...no matter what, I still respect his knowledge even if I disagree with his "beliefs"...if you knew him as I have for over 10+ years you would understand that he is a Teddy Bear at heart...but can be a MF sometimes because of all of the meds he takes....we fought over simple crap which I shouldn't have done...I lost a dear friend......

But again sir...it is my belief that his information is dead on correct...just my opinion...
c5arlen (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

And again, that door jamb tire pressure is for runflats.

add 5 PSI for conventional tires

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 02-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
And again, that door jamb tire pressure is for runflats.

add 5 PSI for conventional tires
So you use 35 cold?...and in the summertime on a 90+ degree day on an asphalt highway when tire pressure goes to 45 psi...that's ok?
alrighty then.....

Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Yellow95 - My 32 cold NEVER gets up to 38-40 in the summer, maybe gets to 35-36 on a long 80 mph highway drive, which is perfectly acceptable and anticipated, so that statement is wrong. I do adjust it summer and winter and it is always between 30-32 COLD when I start out and it's one of the things I check when I start out on a drive.
I'm not **** enough, it the car has been sitting out in the sun, to go out and adjust the pressure if it rose due to the heat of the sun, but it sounds like some of you might do that.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

heres where I got my 30 lb hot answer from over a decade ago...its a long explanation but worth reading and I still go by what he said...best tire pressure info I ever read...

Good info from ET, which I've followed. You can see where it makes a lot of sense, especially when you are rolling in hot weather on super hot asphalt.
Yello95 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:35 PM
m4bgringo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the sidewalls of your tires, not what GM says on the door tag. If you run the same exact tire that GM put on the car in the beginning, then fine, look at the GM tag.

I have a lot of different cars/trucks/trailers. I go by the sidewall on all of them.

When I am not towing, my truck tries are at 60psi. When I am towing, they are at 80psi.

I actually do check tire pressure after driving to see what they are up to when they get hot and adjust from there.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Good info from ET, which I've followed. You can see where it makes a lot of sense, especially when you are rolling in hot weather on super hot asphalt.
In response to the automobile engineer, I man the retired throat surgeon doctor about his self made theory about air not escaping through rubber...maybe the doc can relate to this>>>sorta like sweat not escaping through skin, but through his pee pee?....heres just an FYI .....

" the principle is called Graham's law.. a well known engineering and scientific principle.. also At GM we have always called that DOT sticker on the door " Idiot Proofing " Since it only keep people out of trouble, people who max out tire pressure based on Max sidewall psi printed on it."

.."..for that nay sayer or should I say the object of our idiot proofing....

Graham’s Law:
Are Nitrogen Molecules Really Larger Than Oxygen Molecules? The correct answer, with respect to “permeation”, is yes. "

"There's often confusion associated with the molecular size, molecular weight and permeation properties of oxygen and nitrogen molecules, and GNI is often called to task to explain why nitrogen actually migrates (permeates) out through the rubber of a tire slower than does oxygen but at a much higher rate. both molecules exit through the rubber sidewall .. But the O2 exits much faster.. since air consists of oxygen and Nitrogen. The reason people put pure nitrogen in their tires is because the molecules are larger and there is less swing in the loss of tire pressure.
"
"So for the guy saying BS.. let's see his engineering degree.. or any fact based on his lack of automotive knowledge based on any scientific principles or laws. and also, that door sticker for people just like him
. "

"Fine tuning tires is what every race team in the world does. It separates professionals from amateurs who think they know something about automotive technology."

"Since air is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen 1% argon and trace amounts of carbon dioxide, the potential of a dry sidewall allowing the small O2 molecule to escape is very relevant. So says Graham's law.. a scientific principle Not BS."

Last edited by Yello95; 02-21-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM
RandolphB
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by m4bgringo
Look at the sidewalls of your tires, not what GM says on the door tag. If you run the same exact tire that GM put on the car in the beginning, then fine, look at the GM tag.

I have a lot of different cars/trucks/trailers. I go by the sidewall on all of them.

When I am not towing, my truck tries are at 60psi. When I am towing, they are at 80psi.

I actually do check tire pressure after driving to see what they are up to when they get hot and adjust from there.
Uhm...no. The numbers on the sides of tires are LIMITS that the tire can take. The numbers on the doorframes are SPECIFICATION by chassis for what is required. Tires are usually made to fit a wide variety of chassis, so the range of what they can fit is limited by the upper pressure numbers. I used to go by the limit numbers myself, until a guy in his 80's cornered me and taught me more than I ever thought I needed to know about tire. Decades later when I became an aircraft mechanic, everything he said was verified during my FAA approved classes....
Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by m4bgringo

COMPLETE NONSENSE!!

C6_Racer_X (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Tire pressure