Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] help bleading brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default help bleading brakes

so im finishing up my engine swap, i had to disconnect the rear brake line to drop the tranny, now everythings back togethor and i hooked up my motive power bleader and cant get any fluid coming out of either bleader on rear passenger caliper, i went to driver side and i am getting clean fluid coming through there and tried going back to the passenger side and still nothing, i checked for a pinched line but dont see anything wrong?
any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

- Make sure bleeder is pressurized. 10-12psi is sufficient. But sometimes for the rear it needs 15psi as there is a longer distance to travel and there might be air in the line.
- Ensure you have unscrewed the bleeder screw sufficiently. It needs more than a slight crack.
- Re verify no pinched lines and that you have reattached the line properly
- Verify all other bleeder screws are tight (except the one you are bleeding)
- Ensure your reservoir is full
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Originally Posted by Mordeth
- Make sure bleeder is pressurized. 10-12psi is sufficient. But sometimes for the rear it needs 15psi as there is a longer distance to travel and there might be air in the line.
- Ensure you have unscrewed the bleeder screw sufficiently. It needs more than a slight crack.
- Re verify no pinched lines and that you have reattached the line properly
- Verify all other bleeder screws are tight (except the one you are bleeding)
- Ensure your reservoir is full
yea i pressurized it to 15 psi, i even pulled the bleader screw completely out and nothing was coming out of the caliper, and i checked all other bleader screws aswell,
Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I would remove the caliper and check the line. Also try opening both bleeder screws at once. Also do a quick bleed on the other three corners then try the bad corner again.

Could be a huge air bubble. Could be a clogged bleeder or blockage in the line or a collapsed hose. Could be a pinched line.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I would remove the caliper and check the line. Also try opening both bleeder screws at once. Also do a quick bleed on the other three corners then try the bad corner again.

Could be a huge air bubble. Could be a clogged bleeder or blockage in the line or a collapsed hose. Could be a pinched line.
yea i will try tonight when i get off work to blead the other 3 make sure there good and go back to the other, i was also thinking trying the pump method get my wife to hold the pedal down, i know when i did my clutch swap a few months ago i had trouble with that caliper aswell but i changed both bleader screws and blead it a bunch of time to finally get my pedal to feel ok
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Jwwesttx
Racer

problem solved! just pumped the brakes a bunch of times and pressured motive bleeder to 15 psi and let it go for a while, slowly but surely i got a solid stream, just needed some more patience!
thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwwesttx
problem solved! just pumped the brakes a bunch of times and pressured motive bleeder to 15 psi and let it go for a while, slowly but surely i got a solid stream, just needed some more patience!
thanks
Glad to hear you got it resolved. Bleeding brakes can sometimes be a PITA!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

If you let the ABS module go dry, expect that you will need to re-bleed at least 3 times to get a consistent, decent pedal - it will seem fine initially, then after you drive it and it sits for a while, it will be soft (or worse) again..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

so im finishing up my engine swap, i had to disconnect the rear brake line to drop the tranny, now everythings back togethor and i hooked up my motive power bleader and cant get any fluid coming out of either bleader on rear passenger caliper, i went to driver side and i am getting clean fluid coming through there and tried going back to the passenger side and still nothing, i checked for a pinched line but dont see anything wrong?
any suggestions?
Glad you got everything resolved but for future reference you don't need to disconnect any brake hardware when doing an engine or transmission swap.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Glad you got everything resolved but for future reference you don't need to disconnect any brake hardware when doing an engine or transmission swap.
how do you drop rear cradle with the hardline on it? that would have saved me a bunch of time both times iv dropped the driveline!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

how do you drop rear cradle with the hardline on it? that would have saved me a bunch of time both times iv dropped the driveline!
It's connected to the subframe on the left side with (I think) a 10mm bolt. You then need to also just pop it out of the little plastic clamp tucked up under the chassis and once that's done you can swing the entire subframe out of the way and the brake line moves along with it.

I've had my motor and/or transmission out of the car more times than I can remember and have always done it that way.

I outlined where the brake lines end up:

Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Jwwesttx
Racer

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
It's connected to the subframe on the left side with (I think) a 10mm bolt. You then need to also just pop it out of the little plastic clamp tucked up under the chassis and once that's done you can swing the entire subframe out of the way and the brake line moves along with it.

I've had my motor and/or transmission out of the car more times than I can remember and have always done it that way.

I outlined where the brake lines end up:

thanks ya i dropped it as a complete unit...next time il try it that way hopefully that wont be for a while

thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To help bleading brakes

Quick Reply: [Z06] help bleading brakes