C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Issues with fuel transfer in the twin gas tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 PM
vette3800
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Major Issues with fuel transfer in the twin gas tanks

Has anybody had issues with fuel not transferring properly between the two tanks? I had to have one tank replaced due to a transfer line breaking loose from the plastic nozzle on one tank and fuel leaking. Now the 2004 car runs out of gas when the fuel gauge registers 1/2. 6-7 gallons of gas brings the gauge up to 3/4 tank. Could this be the transfer valve? The dual tanks seem like a very poorly engineered system.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Waiting for 8Vette7 to chime in, give him a day or so. If not, send him a PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 266 Likes on 202 Posts

Here is some more info on the 2003-2004 fueltank system and how it works

Also check your fuelpressure , I think the siphron pump needs nearly 60psi to function

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ystem-389.html

Last edited by oelarse; 02-19-2018 at 05:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-04-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM
vette3800
Instructor

Now I am scheduled to return to my service shop to have the whole rear end of the car disassembled again to replace the transfer valve (jet syphon pump) located in the passenger gas tank. $$$$$
Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 PM
vette3800
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Dropping the tanks is a labor intensive job for certain and therefore the labor cost is not going to be small.

The tanks do have to be dropped to get to the jet syphon pump on your year car but the trans and diff should NOT have to be dropped to get the tanks out. Your wording of the above is suggesting that the shop is going to have to drop the trans and diff. Is that what you are implying???

If that is what they plan to do then I suggest that you find another shop. JMHO
They did it last time. I will tell them to avoid dropping the trans and diff.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The amount of effort depends on what year car you have. Mid 2003 through current year models have a different fuel system than early C5s which requires more tear down. The thing is you need a good mechanic doing the work as it is very easy to F up the repair when reinstalling the tank. You don't need to drop the drive train to do the work but when the passenger side fuel sender went bad in my 08 the dealer mechanic found out it was easier to drop the cradle just a little to get some room to work and to see what they were doing a little better. Getting the fuel tank plugged into the cross over without screwing up the seal when you can't see the spot where you are connecting two large tubes with two smaller tubes inside each of them. After two screwed up seals and dropping the cradle two guys working together were able to get the cross over tube connected properly without leaking. I watched them doing some of the work and was glad they were doing it and not me. It is a real PIA. If you want to see what the 2004 FSM says to do I have attached a PDF file telling how to remove and reinstall the passenger side fuel tank.

Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-02-2018 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vette3800 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
vette3800
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The amount of effort depends on what year car you have. Mid 2003 through current year models have a different fuel system than early C5s which requires more tear down. The thing is you need a good mechanic doing the work as it is very easy to F up the repair when reinstalling the tank. You don't need to drop the drive train to do the work but when the passenger side fuel sender went bad in my 08 the dealer mechanic found out it was easier to drop the cradle just a little to get some room to work and to see what they were doing a little better. Getting the fuel tank plugged into the cross over without screwing up the seal when you can't see the spot where you are connecting two large tubes with two smaller tubes inside each of them. After two screwed up seals and dropping the cradle two guys working together were able to get the cross over tube connected properly without leaking. I watched them doing some of the work and was glad they were doing it and not me. It is a real PIA. If you want to see what the 2004 FSM says to do I have attached a PDF file telling how to remove and reinstall the passenger side fuel tank.

Bill
I am sending attachment to my service shop today. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Major Issues with fuel transfer in the twin gas tanks

Quick Reply: Major Issues with fuel transfer in the twin gas tanks