Got Bumped on The Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:42 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default Got Bumped on The Freeway

Going to work Friday on the freeway, and some idiot weaving in an out of traffic hit my 01 on the left front corner right at the front of the left wheel and tire.
It did minor damage to the car, His car at some point contacted the wheel, but the tire took the hit.
I was sick.
My car has never been in an accident.
It drove fine, I was doing 70, and the car just kept on going as I slowed down to get off and exchange info, when the other guy took off.
He turned off his lights , I guess so I couldn't get his license number, and was gone
I was in the exit lane, so I got off and in the dark all I could feel was the edge of the wheel well was like rubber from a tire.
I got to work, and when it was light, I went out and looked at it.
I used some alcohol to remove the other guy's paint and rubber, and there is a 1/64th line about an inch long that is down to the black primer or gel coat, or whatever is under the paint.
No other damage except a small dent in the lip of the wheel.

So, I was thinking of putting a LED amber light of some sort on the blackout that surrounds the headlight so it would be at least almost a foot above the amber running lights because that is so low to the ground.
When the lights are retracted, you couldn't see it..
Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 02-18-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sorry - no help with your idea about the lighting but hate to hear about the bump and run.
Truly spineless to not own up to your mistakes!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

why not just run with your headlights on?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

That is scary as &#!+
Glad your okay.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle and sure glad it wasn't worse. That other driver is really a jerk for not stopping and taking responsibility for hitting your car.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone put a set of LED lights where you are talking about. Not sure I would do it.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Wait, you're putting stick on "running lights" on your car because some guy hit you...lol? Why...lol?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Rob 02
That is scary as &#!+
Glad your okay.
...that sucks...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 AM
Pb122216
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default response to got bumped on the freeway

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Going to work Friday on the freeway, and some idiot weaving in an out of traffic hit my 01 on the left front corner right at the front of the left wheel and tire.
It did minor damage to the car, His car at some point contacted the wheel, but the tire took the hit.
I was sick.
My car has never been in an accident.
It drove fine, I was doing 70, and the car just kept on going as I slowed down to get off and exchange info, when the other guy took off.
He turned off his lights , I guess so I couldn't get his license number, and was gone
I was in the exit lane, so I got off and in the dark all I could feel was the edge of the wheel well was like rubber from a tire.
I got to work, and when it was light, I went out and looked at it.
I used some alcohol to remove the other guy's paint and rubber, and there is a 1/64th line about an inch long that is down to the black primer or gel coat, or whatever is under the paint.
No other damage except a small dent in the lip of the wheel.

So, I was thinking of putting a LED amber light of some sort on the blackout that surrounds the headlight so it would be at least almost a foot above the amber running lights because that is so low to the ground.
When the lights are retracted, you couldn't see it..
Has anyone done this before?

Sorry to hear about your accident, Don't know anything about the lights,,,, I Had a similar experience back in nov. of 17, lady ran a stop sign & hit me in the right rear. At first I thought the car was totaled as it looked like there might be fram damage. As it turns out the rt. rear wheel took the majority of the impact, wheel & axle housing was pushed out of position & damaged along with damage to the rt. rear qtr. pnl & rt corner of the rear bumper. Further exam of the damage once posted on a lift revealed lots of damage to the rt. rear lwr control arm tie rods & other various items in the wheel assembly. Am having problems with the other persons ins paying for some additional items like a crack that runs down the center of the glass top & damage to the rt front wheel & tire that happened when the tow truck loaded the car onto the rollback. Got the car back about a week ago & it looks really good, local Chevy dealer repaired & painted the car, have a lawyer taking care of the other items along with the medical items that are still being addressed hope you are able to get all of your damage repaired w/o any problems from your insurance company. Her ins. co. says it's a stress crack. I don't think so.....
Old 03-08-2018, 11:43 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Thanks for all the input.
Kitt, This isn't the first time this almost happened.

1. I was on the freeway, going to Jury duty and some fool on the phone in a suburban just changed lanes and his tire was rubbing on my bump strip on the door.
I laid on the horn, and he moved back in his lane, then tried it again, this time, I laid on the horn and hit the brake, and that;s when he saw me and almost lost control straightening up.

2. I was on the way to work when a guy in an old ford station wagon turned onto the street I was on, and I came from behind, and he just kept coming.
I slammed on the brakes just as his wide rear end took over my lane.
I hit the brakes just in time.

3. I was coming home from work, and a gardener with a trailer changed lanes into me.
Luckily, I had an off ramp to go down before he hit me.

4. just cruising down the street I take to visit my mother, some guy in a white Dodge pickup just started changing lanes. I hit the horn, and the truck stopped moving over for a second, then started coming over again. I hit the horn again, and he moved back, and slowed down, and then he saw my car. He got behind me.

This isn't the first time someone did not see me.

Granted, those lights won't help me in the daytime because my lights will be tucked away.
I am thinking of night time.
I wasn't thinking of stick on lights, because here in the desert the glue would just melt and they would fall off.
Thinking of a rectangular hole in the plastic and held on with small screws, nuts and washers.
The damage is so slight on the painted surface you might just think I rubbed too long in one place with rubbing compound.
At first I thought it was tire rubber, but then it didnt go away, it just started to cover more area, so I stopped trying to clean it off.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 03-08-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Sounds to me like you linger in blind spots at the 3/4 rear on the highway. I had a logistics company for a while and it amazed me how many people just sat in the blind spot of our trucks going down the road.

If you're in a low sports car, same as a motorcycle...stay where people see you. You have the speed and ability to not be in that situation. It's not 100% avoidable, but if people are constantly coming into you, that's a problem.

I don't see this light mod helping you but...give it a shot and take some pics of the screws, nuts and washers...I gotta admit, I'm intrigued.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Sounds to me like you linger in blind spots at the 3/4 rear on the highway. I had a logistics company for a while and it amazed me how many people just sat in the blind spot of our trucks going down the road.

If you're in a low sports car, same as a motorcycle...stay where people see you. You have the speed and ability to not be in that situation. It's not 100% avoidable, but if people are constantly coming into you, that's a problem.

I don't see this light mod helping you but...give it a shot and take some pics of the screws, nuts and washers...I gotta admit, I'm intrigued.
gotta be a proactive driver, not a reactive one
Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't see how a light in the position you're referring to will help visibility to other drivers. They either see you in their mirror or they don't. They either turn their head and see your headlights or they don't. A light mounted at the top of your windshield would likely be far more visible.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Thanks for all the input.
Kitt, This isn't the first time this almost happened.

1. I was on the freeway, going to Jury duty and some fool on the phone in a suburban just changed lanes and his tire was rubbing on my bump strip on the door.
I laid on the horn, and he moved back in his lane, then tried it again, this time, I laid on the horn and hit the brake, and that;s when he saw me and almost lost control straightening up.

2. I was on the way to work when a guy in an old ford station wagon turned onto the street I was on, and I came from behind, and he just kept coming.
I slammed on the brakes just as his wide rear end took over my lane.
I hit the brakes just in time.

3. I was coming home from work, and a gardener with a trailer changed lanes into me.
Luckily, I had an off ramp to go down before he hit me.

4. just cruising down the street I take to visit my mother, some guy in a white Dodge pickup just started changing lanes. I hit the horn, and the truck stopped moving over for a second, then started coming over again. I hit the horn again, and he moved back, and slowed down, and then he saw my car. He got behind me.

This isn't the first time someone did not see me.

Granted, those lights won't help me in the daytime because my lights will be tucked away.
I am thinking of night time.
I wasn't thinking of stick on lights, because here in the desert the glue would just melt and they would fall off.
Thinking of a rectangular hole in the plastic and held on with small screws, nuts and washers.
The damage is so slight on the painted surface you might just think I rubbed too long in one place with rubbing compound.
At first I thought it was tire rubber, but then it didnt go away, it just started to cover more area, so I stopped trying to clean it off.
That sucks getting hit and run.

However, I suggest that you quit driving in other people's blind spot.

Get notified of new replies

To Got Bumped on The Freeway

Quick Reply: Got Bumped on The Freeway