C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Smell antifreeze but don't see a leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Smell antifreeze but don't see a leak

Yesterday while changing my right front tire I smelled antifreeze. The car was cold and had not been started. I raised the hood and the smell appeared to be coming from the coolant overflow plastic container just forward of the right front wheel. So I didn't think it was a problem.

But today after a few-hour drive, when I parked it in the garage and got out of the car I could smell antifreeze, again coming from the right front tire area. I raised the hood and looked thoroughly throughout the engine bay with a strong light and could not see any signs of leakage. The smell had permeated the garage after about 10 minutes, when I re-entered the garage.

I've owned the car since August and have never smelled this before. So it appears to be a new issue. The coollant level is perfect, both when cold and when hot.

What do you guys recommend I do?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

The overflow tank is vented. So when you are near it, say by the rt front tire, then you might smell antifreeze.
I wouldn't get to excited about it if the coolant is full and you don't see a leak.
​​​​​​​in the event you are certain there is a problem, then pressure test the cooling system and inspect closely for leaks.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm not sure if you have an original radiator but you can take a look at the plastic tanks on the ends. They get old and start to crack or the tank to core seals start to leak. It may not be big enough to drip but enough to cause an odor. Just a thought.

Gary
Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by yd328
I'm not sure if you have an original radiator but you can take a look at the plastic tanks on the ends. They get old and start to crack or the tank to core seals start to leak. It may not be big enough to drip but enough to cause an odor. Just a thought.

Gary
Thanks, Gary. I just took a look and really can't see much without removing some of the stuff covering the radiator. I'll keep watching for leaks on the garage floor.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:38 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The overflow tank is vented. So when you are near it, say by the rt front tire, then you might smell antifreeze.
I wouldn't get to excited about it if the coolant is full and you don't see a leak.
​​​​​​​in the event you are certain there is a problem, then pressure test the cooling system and inspect closely for leaks.
Pressure check...good idea.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

If you smell antifreeze, there's a 98% chance it's leaking in my experience. Pressure test as Steve recommended above.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I'd like to see you dump some dye in it and drive for a bit. That might help you see where it is really coming from. I sure hope it isn't in the heater core.

Dump about double the amount of dye so that even if the coolant gets evaporated, you can easily see the trail when you pressurize the system. I wouldn't go much more than 15 psi, IIRC. That might be the pressure it supposed to hit before the cap vents.

Last edited by aklim; 02-18-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Other possibilities are a leaking heater core if you smell it inside the car and if you are running silicone hoses they tend to weep. A bit. GC

Last edited by Goldcylon; 02-18-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Other possibilities are a leaking heater core if you smell it inside the car and if you are running silicone hoses they tend to weep. A bit. GC
Wouldn't that be more inside the car where he can smell it when driving? Mine fogged up the glass and they had to fix it before continuing on the dyno.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 AM
john6277
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Quick Fix I Used from this forum

Originally Posted by SteveBlakeman
Yesterday while changing my right front tire I smelled antifreeze. The car was cold and had not been started. I raised the hood and the smell appeared to be coming from the coolant overflow plastic container just forward of the right front wheel. So I didn't think it was a problem.

But today after a few-hour drive, when I parked it in the garage and got out of the car I could smell antifreeze, again coming from the right front tire area. I raised the hood and looked thoroughly throughout the engine bay with a strong light and could not see any signs of leakage. The smell had permeated the garage after about 10 minutes, when I re-entered the garage.

I've owned the car since August and have never smelled this before. So it appears to be a new issue. The coollant level is perfect, both when cold and when hot.

I had same issue in my 95 C4. Through a post on this site I learned of a coolant sealant tablet GM installed in the engines. Package of 5 (I think) was about $8 from Amazon and I used one half of the package. Smell is gone. Hope this helps, Enjoy the ride, John

Last edited by john6277; 02-19-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: omitted info
Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by aklim
Wouldn't that be more inside the car where he can smell it when driving? Mine fogged up the glass and they had to fix it before continuing on the dyno.
Normally yes however not always I could smell the weeping hoses from inside the car as well
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
There's no smell inside the car, otherwise my wife would have smelled it. It's definitely near the rt front tire area, under the hood.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

I'd like to see you dump some dye in it and drive for a bit. That might help you see where it is really coming from. I sure hope it isn't in the heater core.

Dump about double the amount of dye so that even if the coolant gets evaporated, you can easily see the trail when you pressurize the system. I wouldn't go much more than 15 psi, IIRC. That might be the pressure it supposed to hit before the cap vents.
Great idea on the Dye.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

There's no smell inside the car, otherwise my wife would have smelled it. It's definitely near the rt front tire area, under the hood.
Take a look at the heater hoses and the metal lines from the heater core suitcase all the way to the radiator. How did the cap pressure check go?

Last edited by Goldcylon; 02-19-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Dump the coolant
Flush system
replace the t-stat
inspect and replace hoses as required
fill with the appropriate coolant
Make sure you pack and burp before going out for the first test drive.

GL

Unless you've all ready done this in the past year, then...

never mind

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 02-19-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm for the pressure test with dye added to system. Friend has POS van that you could always smell coolant around, but no leak visible or puddles. Turned out he had a minuscule leak in core. Heat from core evaporated the leaking coolant. Until one night the small leak gave way to a large leak, 60 miles from nowhere in the wilds of WY.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by car addict
I'm for the pressure test with dye added to system. Friend has POS van that you could always smell coolant around, but no leak visible or puddles. Turned out he had a minuscule leak in core. Heat from core evaporated the leaking coolant. Until one night the small leak gave way to a large leak, 60 miles from nowhere in the wilds of WY.
Heater core or radiator core?

60 miles away from home? Why is it usually not in your driveway but somewhere in the middle of BFE? I had a car trans that was slipping back in 91. Found silt in the pan and the guy serviced it, put some snake oil and there I went, happy that I didn't have to do the rebuild. 300 miles away, the trans broke and the rebuild shop could rape me as much as they wanted without lube too

Get notified of new replies

To Smell antifreeze but don't see a leak

Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Heater core or radiator core?

60 miles away from home? Why is it usually not in your driveway but somewhere in the middle of BFE? I had a car trans that was slipping back in 91. Found silt in the pan and the guy serviced it, put some snake oil and there I went, happy that I didn't have to do the rebuild. 300 miles away, the trans broke and the rebuild shop could rape me as much as they wanted without lube too
Radiator core. Sorry for lack of clarity. 600 miles from home BTW, just 60 miles through narrow, windy mountain roads to nearest small town.

Last edited by car addict; 02-20-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: memory lapse
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by car addict
Radiator core. Sorry for lack of clarity. Thousand miles from home BTW, just 60 miles through narrow, windy mountain roads to nearest small town.
Not good. Did he run into some weird looking kid on the porch swing playing the banjo?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Not good. Did he run into some weird looking kid on the porch swing playing the banjo?
Who could tell. Was so dark you couldn't find your **** with both hands and a flashlight. Added to the joys of stopping every few minutes and pouring water in the radiator. Fortunately we had water with us.

Quick Reply: Smell antifreeze but don't see a leak