C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Startup Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM
andyanth
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Startup Input

I'm about to buy my first C3, 1979. I'm new to the Corvette world and have very little experience but am eager the learn.
I've seen a number of cars over the past couple of weeks and in just about every one, the car doesn't start up. The seller pulls out a charger and the car starts. We shut it down after awhile, I continue my inspections, I try to start it up awhile later, and it doesn't start. Out comes the charger and the car starts.

I want to get your input on the top things I can proactively upgrade/replace to increase my chances of the car starting every time I turn the key.
I'll obviously put in a new battery and check battery ground and connections.

I appreciate your input.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

That isn't any more normal with a C3 than it is with any other car. It could be failing battery, failing charging system, poor battery cables or connections, or poor ground connections. Could be as simple a fix as a new battery, but I would tell any prospective seller to fix the problem and call you back if you really like the car and they want to sell it.

Mine has been sitting for 3 months and will turn over healthily and start without issue - without a battery charger. Don't let anyone tell you it's a "common Corvette problem". .
The following users liked this post:
ddawson (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 AM
andyanth
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
That isn't any more normal with a C3 than it is with any other car. It could be failing battery, failing charging system, poor battery cables or connections, or poor ground connections. Could be as simple a fix as a new battery, but I would tell any prospective seller to fix the problem and call you back if you really like the car and they want to sell it.

Mine has been sitting for 3 months and will turn over healthily and start without issue - without a battery charger. Don't let anyone tell you it's a "common Corvette problem". .
Thanks for the response.
I should have worded my question more clearly.
The particular cars I'm interested in do not have that problem. They start up every time.
The question is, what are the top three to five preventive things I can do to minimize the chances of the car not starting (in addition to new battery and ensuring proper connections).
For example, I've heard of wiring harness connections that typically go bad, or wiring leads (to the starter for example), or some things that might cause a draw on the battery.

I dread the thought of walking to the car in a parking lot, turning the key, and have nothing happen.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

many corvette cars are not started or run during the winter months in most areas.(we do not want the fiberglass to rust if it gets wet). So the battery is slowly drained by newer radios that need battery voltage to keep radio station set etc, or clocks that need voltage to keep the running, very low draw, but still a draw. This usually weakens the battery to where it needs charged up when the car is going to be driven , like in the spring when fiberglass rust conditions are gone. To prevent this, some owners, myself included, have trickle chargers on the battery when the car is in hibernation(like a bear does). This keeps the battery fresh and ready to spring in to action when the flowers start blooming, and it is time to come out of hibernation. Hope this talk with the birds & bees of corvetteing has helped, there will be no test today!:craz y:

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 02-19-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Are you only referring to the lack of sufficient battery charge to crank the starter?
Or also including fuel/air/ignition issues on start-up?
Depending on the carb settings, choke settings and type (if present at all), and spark function, there could be a myriad of challenges to getting the engine to turn over, even after you get it cranking.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 PM
andyanth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Are you only referring to the lack of sufficient battery charge to crank the starter?
Or also including fuel/air/ignition issues on start-up?
Depending on the carb settings, choke settings and type (if present at all), and spark function, there could be a myriad of challenges to getting the engine to turn over, even after you get it cranking.
Thanks for the response.
I think I botched this question.
I have no current issues with the car I just purchased. But I want to do some electrical upgrades to help ensure that the car starts reliably every time I turn the key.
I've read a number of posts in this forum about folks who have had very frustrating times with their cars not starting bc of electrical issues and I want to minimize those instances.

Culprits usually seem to be (other than battery) bad ground connections, fusible links, starter solenoid, alternator, aftermarket accessories, wiring harnesses, etc.
So my question is, if I wanted to do five or six preventive things (electrical only for now) that will help ensure reliable starting what might those things be?

I appreciate the input.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Bad grounds and a bad battery to start with. Starter and alternator would be the next things to check. There is a connector on the firewall-- "Starter Extension Harness". Not the greatest design in the car. Time goes on, it gets hot, corrodes, and no start/no charging. Fuse links are possible, but usually when they go you get no crank/start regardless of what else you do. From your question, my list--
1 Starter extension harness connector
2 Battery== remove it from the car, and have it tested
3 Starter/starter solenoid
4 Alternator-- remove and have it tested
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 PM
andyanth
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
Bad grounds and a bad battery to start with. Starter and alternator would be the next things to check. There is a connector on the firewall-- "Starter Extension Harness". Not the greatest design in the car. Time goes on, it gets hot, corrodes, and no start/no charging. Fuse links are possible, but usually when they go you get no crank/start regardless of what else you do. From your question, my list--
1 Starter extension harness connector
2 Battery== remove it from the car, and have it tested
3 Starter/starter solenoid
4 Alternator-- remove and have it tested
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Startup Input

Quick Reply: Engine Startup Input