Sponsored by:

Demographics

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Demographics

Ok, maybe I'm a little lazy but didn't want to wade through a gazillion height posts. Here's my question to Tadge......."your primary clientele is "well fed" Americans. I'm 6-5....well within one sigma of the norm for an american......Why do you make the cockpit almost unusable for a significant proportion of the people you serve???" I understand that Lamborghini serves the european demographic and they tend to run towards 5-6 and 140 pounds....good for them. I won't buy a Lambo for a multitude of reasons but come on.....the american super car that won't fit 25% of the population (ok, i can't back that up but then maybe I'm just irritated.) Seriously, I'm not THAT tall but I can't fit in a coupe with a helmut (yes, tracking the car is the most fun you can have with your clothes on) and a convertible is out of the question completely because my noggin sits too high for any possible roll bar solution that is legal (i.e. won't kill me if the car rolls....and yes I understand the prevailing opinion is that a rollover event in a corvette would have other issues.)

Just sayin!

Mike

And I'm dying to see if there is a response.....
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by smurfmacaw
"your primary clientele is "well fed" Americans. I'm 6-5....well within one sigma of the norm for an american.......
The average height of a white, North American male is still 5'10". I'm not sure how you got 6'5" as "well within one sigma of the norm."
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
DoctorV8 (02-22-2018), Perf n Restore (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:36 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
The average height of a white, North American male is still 5'10". I'm not sure how you got 6'5" as "well within one sigma of the norm."
Ok, note to self, be careful with the statistics. overall average is 5-10(fish) so I'm within 2.2 or 2.3 s.d. I guess I was just complaining about things I can't change...I come from a tall family and seem to have a bunch of tall friends and at work I'm by no means that freakishly tall guy, many taller than I so I guess my perception is slightly skewed. What I really need to do is find a seating solution that will give me the extra inch or so I need.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I come from a tall family and seem to have a bunch of tall friends and at work I'm by no means that freakishly tall guy, many taller than I so I guess my perception is slightly skewed. What I really need to do is find a seating solution that will give me the extra inch or so I need.
To be fair and honest, your perception isn't "slightly skewed". It's pretty significantly skewed; the numbers back up what I'm saying. You're significantly taller than the average white male.

Hopefully you understand that in order to accommodate folks who are so far outside the average, Corvette would have to either be:
  • Engineered with a taller roof, which would make the car look top heavy, raise the Cg a bit, and further hamper the aero.
  • Engineered longer so you could move the seat forward a bit and tilt the seat-back back. Well, this would also make the car heavier just because it's a lot bigger. It would start feeling like more of a sedan and less like a coupe.
The following users liked this post:
DoctorV8 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Ok, I should apologize. I shouldn't have come here with a rant over something which I can't change (although I still maintain I'm not THAT freakishly tall lol). What I should have asked was this:<br /><br />I am a taller Corvette enthusiast. I am interested in taking the car to the track, however; if they are totally strict about it I've got to find some sort of height solution. I can maneuver the seat in a coupe to barely allow me in the car with a helmet on but if they are totally sticklers my helmet does touch the top unless I slouch slightly. If the designer of the car suddenly had a growth spurt and was 6-5 tomorrow (I'm a little older these days and may be down to 6-4 (ish), what would he be thinking of to get in the car and be legal (and safe for that matter, I realize the rules are to keep people alive and unmaimed as much as possible). I hate to perform a foamectomy on a factory seat. I've thought of a convertible (wife drives a convertible Z06 currently) but I'm not sure a roll bar would be doable and still have the top operable. I'm thinking an aftermarket seat since I'm willing to give up some of the seat bling (heated, cooled, massaging fingers etc.).<br /><br />Are there options that haven't really been published? Different seat rails? Which aftermarket seat fits and would lower the drivers noggin....even an inch would help.<br /><br />So, sorry about the rant earlier, but I would appreciate some advice on the subject.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />MLM
Old 02-20-2018, 10:58 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

So, sorry about the rant earlier, but I would appreciate some advice on the subject.
We'll move this to the C7 General section for more input. Folks from GM can't really help you with aftermarket modifications, since, by definition: they're aftermarket. They've fully validated the existing seat and mounting hardware to meet all sorts of crash testing requirements. Any suggestions to alter the vehicle to accommodate folks outside the "average" can't come from GM. Hopefully you can understand that; liability reigns supreme here.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

OP, first of all Tadge is not going to read this thread and answer you. Second, you are MUCH taller than average, and with that come some limitations that may offset some of the advantages, which are considerable. Third, your expectations are unrealistic. The mountain is not going to move to where you are. But that does not mean your problem is unsolvable. They make seats that sit lower down so you can gain some inches. I'm not going to do your research for you, but a YouTuber known as Cleetus McFarland, who is taller than you, has installed just such a seat in his Z06. Observe:

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Canaroea have more headroom and legroom and can be tracked.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-20-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Canaroea have more headroom and legroom and can be tracked.
What?????????
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

5'5 here and 140 pounds, I'm like a little jockey in the C7. I love it.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Baron37075
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Originally Posted by jvp
To be fair and honest, your perception isn't "slightly skewed". It's pretty significantly skewed; the numbers back up what I'm saying. You're significantly taller than the average white male.

Hopefully you understand that in order to accommodate folks who are so far outside the average, Corvette would have to either be:
  • Engineered with a taller roof, which would make the car look top heavy, raise the Cg a bit, and further hamper the aero.
  • Engineered longer so you could move the seat forward a bit and tilt the seat-back back. Well, this would also make the car heavier just because it's a lot bigger. It would start feeling like more of a sedan and less like a coupe.
Speaking of skewed perceptions (unless identifiers for the OP were previously known from sources other than this thread)
How do we know that the twice-mentioned identifier of "white" applies to Smurfmacaw?
Did Smurfmacaw even definitively state gender?

Just sayin'...
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

You say you are not the tallest in your group of friends and at work. Where do you live??? At 5'11", I would be considered a midget in your neck of the woods. Hope you can find a car that fits. Good luck...
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

the roof does come off, just sayin' : )

Btw, I'm right at 6', 6'5" seems quite tall to me...
Old 02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

For the OP, have you tried a C7 with the transparent top? That would be worth about 1/2" in additional headroom. If, as it seems, you have a longer torso, you can also try sliding the seat forward 2" and then reclining it a little, which will pick up another 3/4" of headroom. In the US, 0.7% of the adult male population is 6'5" or taller and at 6'8", that drops to 0.04% - GM drew the line at 99% percentile, which is 6'5" tall of average proportions for leg & torso lengths w/o helmets - that is more accomodating than every other 2 seat sports car made.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
OP, first of all Tadge is not going to read this thread and answer you. Second, you are MUCH taller than average, and with that come some limitations that may offset some of the advantages, which are considerable. Third, your expectations are unrealistic. The mountain is not going to move to where you are. But that does not mean your problem is unsolvable. They make seats that sit lower down so you can gain some inches. I'm not going to do your research for you, but a YouTuber known as Cleetus McFarland, who is taller than you, has installed just such a seat in his Z06. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBiDVBtaMU
Was just going to mention Cleetus haha..... you want a custom seat like him. The good ole days when I watched his girlfriend learn stick in his c7 days before I bought mine.

I'm 6'2 and although that is much shorter than the OP I was very upset with the room I had in the c7 until I got used to it minutes later and realized it's really comfy and I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by PobreWey; 02-20-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

OP, at 77" you are way outside the norm:

Here are some tips on maximizing the leg and head room on the C7: Adjusting seats for maximum leg/head room
Old 02-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,215 Likes on 3,458 Posts

When did 6'5" fall within one standard deviation (sigma) of the US population? Just curious where this datum came from. I don't believe it.

Get notified of new replies

To Demographics

Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Red Alert
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 6'6" (or was ... probably more like 6'5" now) and I fit OK. My height is skewed more to my legs, so I have what I would call MINOR issues in leg room. In an ideal world, I'd like to have an inch or so more leg room, but I've spent my whole life driving performance-ish cars, so I'm relatively used to it. I like the interior on my C7.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM
smurfmacaw
Instructor

Ok, I was playing it a little fast and loose with the statistics. 2.2 to 2.3 s.d.s is more like it. Yes, where I work I am not even close to the tallest...land of the giants I guess and I'm pretty sure I'm closer to the mean around here than nationally. So forgive me for going into a frustrated rant on height, i realize that GM isn't going to cater to me, they are in it to make money and therefore play the averages. In any case, the seat info is good, I'm spending a lot on the car so what's a few extra dollars for a seat if it works. Now I gotta figure out if the transparent tops are welcome/legal at the track.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

where do you work, the NBA? : ) Criminy, I know maybe 3 guys over 6'4" I'm guessing you're not on a submarine crew down there!

Quick Reply: Demographics