C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts
Default What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?

My 2017 only has 800 miles on the OEM tires, so this is not an immediate concern, but in the future, when I need to purchase a new set, what do I need to consider?

Supposedly, the new A/S Michelins for the Z06 will be out by April, and I know they would be a good choice, however, I don't even know if they are run-flats or not.

Besides that, I dont' know what the arguments are for and against each!

So, for those who know tires, can you please educate me?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

With non run flats (normal tire) you will have to call a tow truck to get you to the tire shop.. If it is a slow leak you can still drive to the tire shop, depends on how far away...

That is where the run flats shine, with 0 pressure you can still drive to the tire shop...

I have normal non run flats (pro comp 2 A/S), you just have to pay attention to the tire pressures and good insurance with towing included
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 AM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
My 2017 only has 800 miles on the OEM tires, so this is not an immediate concern, but in the future, when I need to purchase a new set, what do I need to consider?

Supposedly, the new A/S Michelins for the Z06 will be out by April, and I know they would be a good choice, however, I don't even know if they are run-flats or not.

Besides that, I don't know what the arguments are for and against each!

Cons: Run Flats are more expensive, wear faster and have a firmer ride (because the side-wall is more rigid).
Pros: If the tire loses air you can drive up to 80 miles up to 50mph. Chances are better that you won't scar the wheel.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I hace non run flats on my 15 and had them on my 08, I carry a plug kit and small portable compressor would handle most problems
Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just went with non-runflats and and so glad I did.also the slow turn tire chatter is gone !!!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

There is only one very very small advantage to having run flats-you can drive 50 miles after you get a flat rather than relying on a compressor and goo and being able to safely pull over to fix it and then hope it works.

I would not drive my vette without run flats.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
Red C8 of Jax (02-19-2018), vdavenp802 (02-19-2018), woodsguy (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Wow - some back and forth here on both sides. Good debate.

I'm learning a lot!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3

Besides that, I dont' know what the arguments are for and against each!

A lot can do with your environment. Getting a flat in an already low Corvette on an old country road when it’s pitch black armed with a flashlight, a tire repair kit, compressor, and zero cell bars isn’t ideal. I learned that 1st hand on my C-6 GS. I noted run flats would have got me home easier. I think tire wear has a lot to do with the brand of tire, wheel alignment resetting the factory toe-in, and keeping up with pressures etc. Having both RF and NRF I’ll probably stick with run flats out here in the country. However the fore mentioned pros for non-run flats is applicable, I’ll admit I do like the NRF for the better ride and etc. though.

Last edited by ShadowB; 02-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Run flats are generally more expensive and have a harsher ride (more unforgiving sidewall). However if you have a flat without them, you'll be waiting for a towtruck.

IMO: If I'm using it to travel longer distances (I'll probably drive 900 miles to FLorida each year) then I will want the piece of mind of the run flats. If I'm staying local (like I do all the rest of the year) then I'll take the risk with the non run flats and the money I saved in tire cost may pay for the tow truck, IF i ever need it.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

I ran non-run flats on my C6 for 6 years without incident. I put them on my C7 3 years ago, and, have had no issues.

Advantages of non-run flats:

1. Cheaper price;

2. Longer lasting. I had only 12,500 miles on the OME tires and was showing cord. I now have 35,000 miles on the non-run flats, and still looking good;

3. Much quieter ride, and, in my opinion, better handling..ie. no tire skipping on wheel t wheel turns.

However, it is a personal decision. It's your car. So do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Just went with non-runflats and and so glad I did.also the slow turn tire chatter is gone !!!
You may be comparing apples and oranges with regard to tire chatter comparisons. I believe the non-ZP PSS chatters just like the ZP PSS under equal cold conditions. That's due to the summer tire compound becoming very hard when cold and in hard turns skipping over pavement vs. sliding over pavement when hot.

If you're comparing summer compound PSS ZPs to non-ZP all season tires you're confounding two independent variables.

With today's technology, I do not believe the ZPs ride is any more firm than the non-ZPs.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

My choice is driven my my impatience and OCD.

Opted for another set of run-flats for my last car when the time came because I had already picked up a screw in one of the tires a couple of years before replacing them. I didn't have the time or patience to have a flat-bed come load my car up (from my garage, on a military base no less) take it to be fixed and then have to coordinate to go pick it up. I also was not fond of the idea of loading the car onto the truck to start with. Aired up the tire (which wasn't actually needed) and drove to the shop to have it fixed. I then envisioned what would have happened on a road trip and a more significant puncture or failure.

Yes, the RF (or ZP) tires are more expensive, ride a little more harsh and to some are louder (haven't or quantified noted that). With that, I will opt for the peace of mind since we don't carry a spare.

I completely understand the pump/slime/sticky-rope kits and that's a much better option than nothing, but I'm not going to roll around on the ground hunting for the puncture and mess with it on the side of the road. I'll pay the extra for the ZP tire and drive to a shop to have the tire professionally repaired or replaced. Added benefit is I believe the ZP tires are safer which is backed up by a number of 1st hand accounts here.

There are excellent options for both types of tires (well, fewer for the GS/Z06). Personally, I'll opt for a ZP option taking all things into consideration.

Allen
Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

I had one flat tire with the stock runflats on my C6. Hit a small, sharp edged pothole and broke the tire. Wheel wasn't damaged, but the tire was flat and there was so little ground clearance (left front tire was the one that went) I couldn't realistically drive the car so had to wait for the tow.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Allen_B
My choice is driven my my impatience and OCD.

Opted for another set of run-flats for my last car when the time came because I had already picked up a screw in one of the tires a couple of years before replacing them. I didn't have the time or patience to have a flat-bed come load my car up (from my garage, on a military base no less) take it to be fixed and then have to coordinate to go pick it up. I also was not fond of the idea of loading the car onto the truck to start with. Aired up the tire (which wasn't actually needed) and drove to the shop to have it fixed. I then envisioned what would have happened on a road trip and a more significant puncture or failure.

Yes, the RF (or ZP) tires are more expensive, ride a little more harsh and to some are louder (haven't or quantified noted that). With that, I will opt for the peace of mind since we don't carry a spare.

I completely understand the pump/slime/sticky-rope kits and that's a much better option than nothing, but I'm not going to roll around on the ground hunting for the puncture and mess with it on the side of the road. I'll pay the extra for the ZP tire and drive to a shop to have the tire professionally repaired or replaced. Added benefit is I believe the ZP tires are safer which is backed up by a number of 1st hand accounts here.

There are excellent options for both types of tires (well, fewer for the GS/Z06). Personally, I'll opt for a ZP option taking all things into consideration.

Allen

No spare . . . . .

Good point.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:44 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Two things: 1) Be very careful that you actually get run flats if that's what you want. When you go hunting on a web site like Discount Tire they will present you with results that may not include run flats. There is a minor difference in the stock number between run flats and non-run flats. Just be careful.

2.) How many times in the last 20 years have you had a flat? I can't remember when I last had a flat so I have traveled at least 400,000 miles without one. OK, peace of mind and all that, but I'm thinking the issue is greatly exaggerated. The way people talk around here you'd think it was a monthly occurrence.

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-19-2018 at 12:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
DAC17 (02-19-2018), Perf n Restore (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 362 Posts

It's really a personal thing. I'd rather be able to drive to a tire shop than try to repair a tire on the road. Others differ.

People should also be aware that not all flat-bed drivers will be able to load your car due to the low ground clearance. On a recent trip it took several hours to wait for two different flat-bed drivers. The first one couldn't pull the low front end onto his bed. The second one had some planks and knew how to load a Corvette - which involved lifting the bed slightly as the front end was pulled onto it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

It only takes one-time getting stranded in a dangerous location in heavy traffic trying to do an emergency tire repair on the side of the road . That is a nightmare experience.
The following users liked this post:
woodsguy (02-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You may be comparing apples and oranges with regard to tire chatter comparisons. I believe the non-ZP PSS chatters just like the ZP PSS under equal cold conditions. That's due to the summer tire compound becoming very hard when cold and in hard turns skipping over pavement vs. sliding over pavement when hot.

If you're comparing summer compound PSS ZPs to non-ZP all season tires you're confounding two independent variables.

With today's technology, I do not believe the ZPs ride is any more firm than the non-ZPs.
He is right the Michelin non run flat the MPSS does NOT exhibit the tire chatter on turns. I had several sets on different cars and the MPSS zero pressure is the tire that does the tire chatter.
NOT the nonrunflat! I used to run the Michelin SS nonrun flat. Issue is the all out traction is less with the non run flat. Compared to the MPSS zero pressure.
I no longer buy non run flats the run flats have came a long way and now are the better tire for grip.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-19-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

In the past run flats rode hard and were noisy. Lots of people falsely still believe that's true.
My experience with the newer technology used by Michelin is that there is little difference in ride or noise between the two. In my opinion run flats are worth the extra money for the convenience they provide.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
He is right the Michelin non run flat the MPSS does NOT exhibit the tire chatter on turns. I had several sets on different cars and the MPSS zero pressure is the tire that does the tire chatter.
NOT the nonrunflat! I used to run the Michelin SS nonrun flat. Issue is the all out traction is less with the non run flat. Compared to the MPSS zero pressure.
I no longer buy non run flats the run flats have came a long way and now are the better tire for grip.
Have you run the PSS non-ZP on a C7? It matters not comparing them on different cars.

Quick Reply: What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?