C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Cragar SS 15x7~8 on stock '63

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
63-Seth
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cragar SS 15x7~8 on stock '63

I'd like to get some Cragar 08/61 SS wheels for my '63, and would like to know which ones to get.
I have seen a post for proper 6", but I prefer the wider profile, however don't want to go past the fender lip or rub and keep close to stock tire radius.
It has the drum brakes, so I shouldn't need the spacers, although I have seen posts that talked about some kind of contact and using 1/4" spacers.

I have spent morning to night searching for the answer, and scoured the forums, but every discussion on the subject misses the '63 to '65 years with drum brakes, or gets sidetracked into talking about 17", Torq Thrust, or other brands.

Could anyone that has/had that setup please give me that info? Tire info and pics would also be very welcome.

Last edited by 63-Seth; 02-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Call the manufacturer and get the offset spec. Fitting 7" wheels on a C2 is tricky. The OE 7" Rallys for '68 Corvettes have -0.28" offset to provide sufficient clearance to the rear spring ends, but you will have to shave the fender lips for a reasonably size tire like a 215/70 or 225/70.

G-body 7" Rallys have zero offset, but the tire or wheel will likely hit the spring end on full rebound.

Duke
The following users liked this post:
Seth Steen (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

FYI, in case you haven't seen it...
Series 08/61 S/S Super Sport
https://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/w...ss-super-sport

It looks like in 15" X 7", 4 1/8" backspace (possibly 4") is all that's available.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following 2 users liked this post by GUSTO14:
Dr L-88 (02-20-2018), Seth Steen (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 AM
63-Seth
Cruising

I saw that the rear tires need 3 3/4" backspacing maximum due to the leaf spring. Cragar only makes 4 1/8" backspacing for 15x7 in our bolt pattern.
Cragar makes 1/2" spacers with nuts packages. Would I be using the spacers even though I don't have calipers to clear? I thought I heard they were just bolt on with drum brakes.
If I do use the 1/2" spacers, will it extend past the wheel well lip, or any other contact concerns?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seth Steen
I saw that the rear tires need 3 3/4" backspacing maximum due to the leaf spring. Cragar only makes 4 1/8" backspacing for 15x7 in our bolt pattern.
Cragar makes 1/2" spacers with nuts packages. Would I be using the spacers even though I don't have calipers to clear? I thought I heard they were just bolt on with drum brakes.
If I do use the 1/2" spacers, will it extend past the wheel well lip, or any other contact concerns?
Seth, if it were me, and I was serious about using 15"X7" wheels, the first thing I would do would be contact Cragar directly and ask them if they couldn't make up a set with 3 3/4" backspacing.
https://www.cragarwheel.com/contact-us

You might be able to convince them that there is a market for this off-set within the Corvette community. The 3 3/4" should fit the midyears because many of us have installed '68 Rally's with that off-set and had no clearance issues.

If that fails and you decide to go with the (15"X7") 4 1/4" backspace wheel, I would order one wheel and try fitting it to the car. What I would do is get a dozen flat washers (all the same thickness) that fit over the studs. Stack them equally on three of the studs and then mount the wheel. Add washers to each stud until the rim clears the trailing arm and the spring. This will tell you what thickness of spacer is necessary to fit them on your car.

To get an accurate reading, you may need to lower the trailing arm onto a block of wood so it is close to ride height. I have seen the rear spring touch the edge of the rim (15"X7" x 3 3/4") when the car is in the air and the trailing arms are at full droop. Since the trailing arms raise and lower in an arc, as you lower the car to ride height (raise the trailing arm) the wheel will move away from the rim.

Back in the late 60's the Cragar Super Sport wheels were one of the most popular wheels you could put on your muscle car and Corvettes were no exception. Although I only recall using 6" wide Cragar's back then. An acquaintance offered me a set of original knock-off's in '69 for $300 (he had mounted some Keystones). I thought about it for about a minute and realized, I could get a set of Cragar S/S wheels for $200 and passed. I know, hind sight is always 20-20!

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I have Summit brand 15x7" rally clones on my 63 with no issues at all.

IIRC they were 4.25" BS But I cannot confirm...
Old 02-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts

Cragar will make wheels with custom backspacing, within a certain range--or at least they did 20 years ago. I don't think they deal with retail customers themselves, but I managed to order a set of custom Cragars from a Big O tire store in San Francisco. As I recall, I had to shop around a little to find a store that would work with me and place the order.

Last edited by Muttley; 02-20-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
I have Summit brand 15x7" rally clones on my 63 with no issues at all.

IIRC they were 4.25" BS But I cannot confirm...
What size tires are mounted? I have the -0.28" offset '68 Corvette Rallys on my SWC. With 225/70s there is maybe a little over 1/4" clearance between the spring end and sidewall, just above the OD of the wheel at full rebound. With zero offset 7" wheels there would be essentially no clearance, and anything with positive offset is definitely going to interfere. Backspacing more than about 3 3/4" means positive offset.

The original tires I mounted on them in 1968 were 205HR-15 Pirelli CN72s, which were slightly narrow and taller than the 227/70s, and I had to shave off the fender lips to gain adequate outboard clearance, but not enough to alter the visible contour of the fenders.

Duke
Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 PM
63-Seth
Cruising

I have contacted Cragar about fitment, but haven't asked for a custom job. Still no reply.
I'd love to be able to take GUSTO's advice or even be able to take it to the tire/wheel shop, but I can't.

The car is in the U.S. now under the care of friends getting weekly visits from a mechanic getting it ready for shipping.
It was my Dad's car who bought it when he was 18yo. I grew up with this car and my Dad endocrined me into the love of it from an early age.
Now I'm bringing it to to Japan where life has settled me, and will be keeping it in the family for a few generations or until it turns to dust.
I'm shipping it in the spring, so I'll be able to give it a nice tour this summer.

So, that is why I'm looking for a reliable answer online instead of just monkeying with it myself, or even being able to send back a wrong size. I need to get the tire and wheel order right the first time.
I'm really wanting the Cragars as they are closest in look to the 14" generic brand my Dad had on there (not made anymore) and I want to preserve that look. That's what I grew up with and anything else just won't look right to me on that particular car. I need the 15" and close to stock radius to give me a little more clearance as most parking places here have a bit of an approach angle to them.

I'm really hoping this thread will catch the eye of someone with experience with wider than 6" Cragars, or someone reading this knows someone to ask.

Here's a pic :-)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have contacted Cragar about fitment, but haven't asked for a custom job. Still no reply.
I'd love to be able to take GUSTO's advice or even be able to take it to the tire/wheel shop, but I can't.

The car is in the U.S. now under the care of friends getting weekly visits from a mechanic getting it ready for shipping.
It was my Dad's car who bought it when he was 18yo. I grew up with this car and my Dad endocrined me into the love of it from an early age.
Now I'm bringing it to to Japan where life has settled me, and will be keeping it in the family for a few generations or until it turns to dust.
I'm shipping it in the spring, so I'll be able to give it a nice tour this summer.

So, that is why I'm looking for a reliable answer online instead of just monkeying with it myself, or even being able to send back a wrong size. I need to get the tire and wheel order right the first time.
I'm really wanting the Cragars as they are closest in look to the 14" generic brand my Dad had on there (not made anymore) and I want to preserve that look. That's what I grew up with and anything else just won't look right to me on that particular car. I need the 15" and close to stock radius to give me a little more clearance as most parking places here have a bit of an approach angle to them.

I'm really hoping this thread will catch the eye of someone with experience with wider than 6" Cragars, or someone reading this knows someone to ask.

Here's a pic :-)

Duke has given you the best advise for what you want and don't go any larger than 205/RX15" with a max. 7" wide wheel unless you want to risk cracking the front fenders on a hard turn coming out of a curbed drive way.

Last edited by 68hemi; 02-20-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM
63-Seth
Cruising

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Duke has given you the best advise for what you want and don't go any larger than 205/RX15" with a max. 7" wide wheel unless you want to risk cracking the front fenders on a hard turn coming out of a curbed drive way.
Thanks! I understand that. I just need to know the particulars about the Cragars with their backspacing, if I need the spacer, and if that will push any part of the recommended tires on those rims past the outer wheel well lip. (Japan is very strict on that and I won't be able to register with them protruding at all)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Thanks! I understand that. I just need to know the particulars about the Cragars with their backspacing, if I need the spacer, and if that will push any part of the recommended tires on those rims past the outer wheel well lip. (Japan is very strict on that and I won't be able to register with them protruding at all)
Seth, really the safest bet for you is to order a set of the 6" wide Cragars with the correct offset. That is what so many of us ran back in the 60's and 70's and had no problems with.

Registering an American car in Japan can be a real challenge. While I was stationed in Iwakuni in the late 90's, a Marine brought his '68/'69 Chevelle over and tried to register it. He finally gave up and just registered it to drive on base. This was mostly because of so many non-standard parts on the car. Since you are settling in Japan, you're gonna need to be able to register it for use off base. Are you going to have to pay an import duty on it, or do you come under SOFA?

I did just the opposite of you, I bought a Miata (Eunos Roadster) when I arrived and shipped it back to the U.S. at the end of my tour. That was a challenge all of it's own.

By the way, if you do decide to return it to the U.S. someday, you will very likely have to go through the process of re-importing it to the U.S.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 PM
63-Seth
Cruising

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Seth, really the safest bet for you is to order a set of the 6" wide Cragars with the correct offset. That is what so many of us ran back in the 60's and 70's and had no problems with.

Registering an American car in Japan can be a real challenge. While I was stationed in Iwakuni in the late 90's, a Marine brought his '68/'69 Chevelle over and tried to register it. He finally gave up and just registered it to drive on base. This was mostly because of so many non-standard parts on the car. Since you are settling in Japan, you're gonna need to be able to register it for use off base. Are you going to have to pay an import duty on it, or do you come under SOFA?

I did just the opposite of you, I bought a Miata (Eunos Roadster) when I arrived and shipped it back to the U.S. at the end of my tour. That was a challenge all of it's own.

By the way, if you do decide to return it to the U.S. someday, you will very likely have to go through the process of re-importing it to the U.S.

Good luck... GUSTO
I am prior service, but not near a base. Way out in the country area where I built my house and opened my company. Returning to America for other than visits is not likely, but a low level retirement possibility in 20 years.

I studied the law here, and have a Japanese car/bike garage/shop owner friend that's helping me with it. Great guy who's been with me through a Ford F-350 and my current Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

As a last resort, I am considering the 6" Cragars, or 7" Torq Thrust, but ideally I'd like 7" Cragars if possible. The wider tread with reasonably high performance tires will be nice if I ever drive it like I'm running from a volcano or tsunami
The 15x7 Rev have only a 2 1/2" backspacing, but a -44mm (1 3/4") offset. Will that 1 3/4" all to the outside be too much?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:04 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You are missing the point. All the dimensions you are referring to are positive numbers. As Dukes stated anything other than negative number backspacing you are going to have a problem with fit and rubbing with 7” wheels.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

The 15x7 Rev have only a 2 1/2" backspacing, but a -44mm (1 3/4") offset. Will that 1 3/4" all to the outside be too much?
Are you kidding me... 1 3/4" NEGATIVE offset!? I can't believe you asked this question. Go back and reread my two prior posts in this thread.

Given the hassle you are going to have getting your car registered in Japan, forget about 7" wheels.

Duke
Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

On a 63, you wont have to worry about the tires sticking out at all. The hubs are narrower than on later cars, and an extra .75" on the outside will still be within the wheel wells.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

You need to read my first two posts in this thread, too. The actual track difference between drum and disk brake C2s is more on the order of 0.3 to 0.4", not 0.75" Look at the AMA specs.

Some of the cavalier responses about fitting 7" wheels to a C2 are sending the OP down a dangerous path. It's real tricky or you could end up with a major safety issue or cracked/broken fiberglass unless you install rubber band tires, which will look really dumb.

Duke

Get notified of new replies

To Cragar SS 15x7~8 on stock '63

Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You may or may not find this helpful but it does specifically discuss drum brake wheel fitment. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/whe...wheel-fitment/
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

From the article:

"So, if you’re dealing with a 1965-’67 Corvette, know that the factory disc brakes push your tires and wheels 3/4 inch closer to the wheel opening than the drum brake cars."

TOTALLY WRONG!!! Given that disk brake cars have 0.3-0.4" track increase over drum brake C2s, the wheel/tire is only pushed out .15-20", not .75".

A friend installed my SWC setup on his '67 in the mid-seventies, using the -0.28" offset '68 Corvette unique 7" Rallys with 225/70VR-15 Pirelli CN 73s. We had to shave a little bit more off the fender lips and clearance was a little tighter, and we had to REMEMBER to only enter steep driveways or equivalent at an angle with the steering wheel straight ahead.

Duke
Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM
63-Seth
Cruising

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Are you kidding me... 1 3/4" NEGATIVE offset!? I can't believe you asked this question. Go back and reread my two prior posts in this thread.

Given the hassle you are going to have getting your car registered in Japan, forget about 7" wheels.

Duke
Sorry, I should have specified that hypothetical was only for the back tires, thought it, but didn't write it. Of course that would be insane on the front.

Quick Reply: [C2] Cragar SS 15x7~8 on stock '63