C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 corvette 5.7 stock

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 corvette 5.7 stock

my first corvette, i have a few questions on tune up parts, am i better just going to dealership let them tune up with plugs, cap rotor ,coil, wires, and gas filters and set timing, and adjust carb. or should i buy all msd parts and e3 plugs and better than standard wires , will it increase hp and power, i no its one of the lowest hp of the corvettes and it automatic trans, it not a race car i no just like to boost it what i can could use help what to do thanks craig
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

msd will gain you zero...fill in your profile with location maybe a local member can save you some money the dealer is the last place id go.
Summit brand wires never gave me an issue

Last edited by cv67; 02-19-2018 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ceh_69 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

set timing, and adjust carb.
Learn to do yourself. No dealership will have any tech that can correctly work on a carb. Lots of internet content and youtube videos available.
ceh_69 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
msd will gain you zero...fill in your profile with location maybe a local member can save you some money the dealer is the last place id go.
Summit brand wires never gave me an issue
thanks so its all bull they say on msd for better performance and quality? so just go with stock ac delco parts and plugs? the dealership wants $500 to tune it up, it as 42,000 miles on it. thanks again i live in indianapolis indiana, this site seems very hard to post in the right place for certain question
Old 02-19-2018, 03:17 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would take it to Wilcox https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tarts-now.html

Last edited by terry82; 02-19-2018 at 03:22 PM.
ceh_69 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

that's a low mile car .you should have many miles of fun in that car.I would talk to somebody in the local corvette club on where to get the car worked on.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terry82
that's a low mile car .you should have many miles of fun in that car.I would talk to somebody in the local corvette club on where to get the car worked on.
thanks, i hate to go to dealerships seems you go for one thing then get it back and then you end up needing something else
Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

LOL that is a lot of car repair shops.Find a guy you trust, and theres lots of repairs you could learn to do .I go to the cars and coffee at the auburn auction.Lots of car guys ,all willing to help.I bet there is a few in Indy.
ceh_69 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by ceh_69
my first corvette, i have a few questions on tune up parts, am i better just going to dealership let them tune up with plugs, cap rotor ,coil, wires, and gas filters and set timing, and adjust carb. or should i buy all msd parts and e3 plugs and better than standard wires , will it increase hp and power, i no its one of the lowest hp of the corvettes and it automatic trans, it not a race car i no just like to boost it what i can could use help what to do thanks craig
The Delco parts are best.
DO NOT let someone that has never done an 81 carburetor mess with it. It's set up very specifically. DO NOT get a commercially rebuilt unit. You need someone that knows them rebuild yours IF needed.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

If you want more HP, get a MAGNAFLOW exhaust with a modern catalytic converter. 14HP gain. The old sand box converters choke it bad.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 02-19-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
If you want more HP, get a MAGNAFLOW exhaust with a modern catalytic converter. 14HP gain. The old sand box converters choke it bad.
what about replace converter with test pipe (no converter) ????? and get tuned headers instead of stock headers?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ceh_69
what about replace converter with test pipe (no converter) ????? and get tuned headers instead of stock headers?
Test pipe will help a bunch. Tuned headers, not so much.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Test pipe will help a bunch. Tuned headers, not so much.
thanks so much for your help
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

The parts you've listed, MSD, E3, are generally excellent parts, but arguably little better that the AC Delco parts that came on your Corvette from the factory. While I wouldn't hesitate to use them, I probably wouldn't pay extra for them either.

Most of the things you're wanting to do are things that almost anyone with basic mechanical skills are capable of doing with the possible exception of adjusting the carburetor. Unless you know what you are doing there, I would leave that to a carburetor expert if you feel it's necessary.

With only 42,000 miles on the car, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any increase in power. A smoother idle or quicker start-up perhaps, but certainly well worth doing along with a change of any fluids that you don't have proof of having been changed recently. Be sure to add a bit of anti-seize to the new plugs. I would also look at platinum or iridium plugs. They are well worth the added life over conventional plugs.

As for headers and/or removing the catalytic converter, I would just say this about that. It is a federal offense to remove any emissions equipment from your vehicle, regardless of whether it will pass inspection or not. Having said that I realize that many do remove them and there are no consequences. But a modern hi-flow, monolithic converter makes an excellent replacement for the old pellet style converters that came on your car. It also offers little if any restriction of flow over a 'test pipe'. The old pellet style converters were however routinely restrictive by the time they reached 100,000 miles.

As far as headers go, they are not without their drawbacks, and without additional changes such as heads and camshaft, any added power they provide will hardly be worth the effort. I would only consider them worthwhile as part of an overall upgrade to the entire fuel management system.

Good luck and welcome to the Corvette Forum... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 02-19-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The parts you've listed, MSD, E3, are generally excellent parts, but arguably little better that the AC Delco parts that came on your Corvette from the factory. While I wouldn't hesitate to use them, I probably wouldn't pay extra for them either.

Most of the things you're wanting to do are things that almost anyone with basic mechanical skills are capable of doing with the possible exception of adjusting the carburetor. Unless you know what you are doing there, I would leave that to a carburetor expert if you feel it's necessary.

With only 42,000 miles on the car, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any increase in power. A smoother idle or quicker start-up perhaps, but certainly well worth doing along with a change of any fluids that you don't have proof of having been changed recently. Be sure to add a bit of anti-seize to the new plugs. I would also look at platinum or iridium plugs. They are well worth the added life over conventional plugs.

As for headers and/or removing the catalytic converter, I would just say this about that. It is a federal offense to remove any emissions equipment from your vehicle, regardless of whether it will pass inspection or not. Having said that I realize that many do remove them and there are no consequences. But a modern hi-flow, monolithic converter makes an excellent replacement for the old pellet style converters that came on your car. It also offers little if any restriction of flow over a 'test pipe'. The old pellet style converters were however routinely restrictive by the time they reached 100,000 miles.

As far as headers go, they are not without their drawbacks, and without additional changes such as heads and camshaft, any added power they provide will hardly be worth the effort. I would only consider them worthwhile as part of an overall upgrade to the entire fuel management system.

Good luck and welcome to the Corvette Forum... GUSTO
wow thank you, thats really good imfo and thank you so much for the advice.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

i would take off old cat .gut it out with a long rod.then put it back on .you will know what it runs like with a test pipe or a new better flowing cat.cost is nothing.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM
ceh_69
Intermediate

i would take off old cat .gut it out with a long rod.then put it back on .you will know what it runs like with a test pipe or a new better flowing cat.cost is nothing.
Hmmm sounds good, what size rod and what comes out, how do i no its gutted out , also the heat tube fell off . thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 corvette 5.7 stock

Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

You'll know it's got it out because you'll see all the guts come out. First off, what are your emissions rules on 81 cars in your state?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

when you can see thru the cat you have gutted it out .use a broom handle or any thing that will break up the mess that is inside .you will see why the old cats were so bad for flow.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

when you can see thru the cat you have gutted it out .use a broom handle or any thing that will break up the mess that is inside .you will see why the old cats were so bad for flow.
The '81 still had the pan converter on it (assuming it is original) and the inlet and outlet don't really line up so seeing through may not be really possible. I know back in the day, once they started to clog, I never could get the pellets out. The monolithic converter is a much easier matter.

It's probably worth giving it a try however...

Ecklers has a replacement converter available for the 1976-1981, it appears to be the monolith. It's available for $148 and they're having a 10%-15% sale if you spend $150 or more...
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/?utm...23764359192841

Zip also has it available for just a bit more and they say it is the monolithic converter...
https://www.zip-corvette.com/81-cata...CABEgI4ePD_BwE

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 02-20-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added additional info

Quick Reply: 1981 corvette 5.7 stock