C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from 2.73's to 3.42's next month!! Question about tuning afterwards.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Bruceb66
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Going from 2.73's to 3.42's next month!! Question about tuning afterwards.

Aside from the upcoming differential swap, the engine/powertrain are bone stock, stock exhaust, not even a CAI (yet)...With that said, and aside from the PCM flash that will be needed to reprogram the shift points, would I benefit in any way by spending an additional $500 to have it dyno'd after the new gear set is in? I've read differing views on this. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruceb66
Aside from the upcoming differential swap, the engine/powertrain are bone stock, stock exhaust, not even a CAI (yet)...With that said, and aside from the PCM flash that will be needed to reprogram the shift points, would I benefit in any way by spending an additional $500 to have it dyno'd after the new gear set is in? I've read differing views on this. Thanks in advance for your input.
The only benefit is the wallet lightening mod. Gears will not alter your air/fuel ratio.

You would have to tune the shift points because they will still be for the lower gear ratio so in essence you are going to need multiple tunes, a tune for the new gear for the shift points, then next time for the intake/headers. Depending on who you use its an additional 5-700.00. You may be better off buying efilive or hptuners and learning to program the shifts yourself I believe auto trans cars never came with 3.42 gears and the highest was 3.15.
My advice is wait until you do intake/headers, then get the tune. If you get one now, then you do the other mods you will have to get another tune anyways.
The following users liked this post:
Bruceb66 (02-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Going from 2.73's to 3.42's next month!! Question about tuning afterwards.